free hit
counters
Good oil filter for 4 cylinder engine - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Good oil filter for 4 cylinder engine

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've encountered the too-long oil filter twice now. Steven is 100% correct in what he is saying; there isn't room to spin the filter on or off because it is so close to the starter.

Mann filters... The mannfilter for our engines is the Mann W712/83. I never used that one so I can not comment it.

I cant understand why all oil filters dont have that hex "nut". Its such a good feature.

Posted Images

As mentioned already but this was posted by another car vendor in the US a few years back showing why it was worth buying the correct filter compared to a cheaper one.

post-1877-0-05601900-1418641022.jpg

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

• Gold FFM

Last night I replaced the oil filter on my SE with a K&N, after failing to source a Mahle locally and hearing both good and bad about the Mann I could get.

Much to my surprise, the old one was a Fram... I got it from SJ, and didn't take a close look when I put it on. Now I do feel bad about it. To be fair, it was sold as a pattern part, so I could have known.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Funny thing: This video was greeted with outrage in the Ferrari community. Not because of the way the car is being driven but because the shot inside the engine bay shows the car has a Fram filter!

If you're going to put a filter on a V8 Ferrari that is not a UFI, it better be a Baldwin!

I used Mahle. Youtube filter geeks that took these apart rated them highly. They are also short enough to get in easily.

I've used Mahle a lot on other cars. After watching some YouTube filter geeks, it may be my new favorite. What is the part number for the 907/910?

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I remember why this conversation first came up on another forum now - It was to do with oil pressure coming up quicker with some filters than others being used.

Here is the link

http://www.lotusexcel.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5398&hilit=hof202

Page 2 there is a pic of the original and replacement Lotus Oe filter cut open v the Halfords one.

Note the metal strip present on the Halfords one sealing the 2 edges together instead of being glued.... I guess this means it is made by Fram. :thumbdown:

This construction on all the youtube clips seemed to show the filter material moving out of the way and/or collapsing allowing the oil to go through the system unfiltered :shock:

The one that got the thumbs up on excel.net was the Mahle oc141.  I have 2 in the garage and this may prompt me to fit one.  My engine is a stage 1 lotusbits rebuild with less than 1500 on it and filled with the Valvoline that Lb recommends ( 20/50 racing? I think).  It takes 6-7 seconds for the needle to move on start up after its been standing for 3-4 weeks, once running the pressure is good.  Its just a bit alarming how long the factory filter takes to fill.   From memory the Mahle is smaller then the factory ( black) one.  For the first 100miles of its life it had a white Lotus filter but I  was sent the black one next time I ordered which I do think takes longer to show pressure on start.  I might try and get my son to do a couple of you tube videos of it on  a cold start with each filter and post the results.

• Like 1

Thanks all, I never expected so many responses.

I have just ordered a K&N HP2004.

I will time (may even film, as Malcolm above) the black Lotus filter (I am guessing 5 or 6 seconds until the gauge moves/light extinguishes) and the K&N one. I cannot remember any delay when the old white Lotus filter was fitted, but I didn't take any notice.

I will also open the old white and new black filters and see what is different inside.

• Like 1

Some results -

Engine stood overnight - new style black Lotus filter - 6 seconds from first fire to oil light going out/gauge moving

I replaced black filter with K&N HP2004, warm engine, probably 1 hour after a 20 mile ey - 8 seconds from first fire to oil light going off/gauge moving - remember from empty filter.

Tomorrows first start will be interesting!

If you're going to put a filter on a V8 Ferrari that is not a UFI, it better be a Baldwin!

I've used Mahle a lot on other cars. After watching some YouTube filter geeks, it may be my new favorite. What is the part number for the 907/910?

Tony,

I think you can check out the mahle OC 23

greets

Geert

The filter empties overnight as the oil drains out past the main bearings so the time it takes to refill the empty filter upon starting will depend on a) it's capacity, b) how quickly the engine fires after first crank & c) engine idle speed. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

• Gold FFM

I have a noticeable reduction of the time it takes before the oil pressure gauges moves since fitting the K&N. By the time I'm out of the garage, about 25m, pressure is up. :thumbsup:

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

The car is a 88 n/a with 1500 miles on a fully rebuilt Lotusbits stage one engine using the valvoline oil they recommend. For the first 100 miles it has a white lotus filter. Then the oil and filter were changed but a black lotus filter fitted. Its had 3-4 250mile journeys and the rest of the miles have been between 20 and 60 mile journeys so its probably had less than 30 starts.

Looking at the 2nd and 3rd videos the idle is slightly higher  on the 3rd  ( which pressurised quicker) not sure if that made much of a difference.

First start is after standing for 30 days without being run.  About 13 seconds from it catching to needle moving.  NOT the 6-7 I thought in the previous post!!!

Second start is 24 hours later with the same Lotus Black filter.  About 10 seconds from it catching to the needle moving.

Third start is with the Mahle oc141 filter I fitted and ran up the previous day after doing the 2nd video. About 4 seconds from it catching to the needle moving.

The pics show how much oil was still in the  lotus filter once I had removed it from the car aprox 200ml. It had stood for 5-6 hours before I removed it from the car and was allowed to drain into the glass for about and hour.

I dont know how well they all perform over the miles and once up to temp but certainly on a cold start the mahle seems to allow the pressure to build quicker. Its smaller than the black lotus filter but I seem to remember that was bigger than the white one.

I usually let it idle for 30 seconds before I move off.

post-1261-0-12412300-1418916107.jpg

post-1261-0-57539100-1418916130.jpg

• Gold FFM

I took the Esprit to work today and made some stops on the way back. This morning, it was up to pressure almost instantly (see previous post). However, when going to a meeting at noon it took considerably longer. Same after the meeting and after the other stops. It almost seems as if it takes longer to build pressure when the oil is still (somewhat) warm. I'll keep a close eye on it. Blipping the throttle to 2-3k rpm does wake up the gauge if I find it's taking too long for comfort.

OK - experiment over.

Cold engine start after standing all night with new K&N filter, about 4 seconds before light goes off, a couple of seconds better than the big black Lotus filter.

I took the filters to bits as promised, the main differences are the height of the filter element, bigger in the black filter, see photo and they look completely different looking into them, you cannot see the inside of the filter element in the white filter, just a smooth metal surface, in the black filter you can see the holes in the metal leading to the filter material. The pressure relief valve is at the opposite end to the thread in the black filter and in the middle in the white one.

The black filter is a Cooper FT59 filter with all reference to Cooper covered up by the cheap looking Lotus sticker. Cooper is part of Sogefigroup who also own the Purflex and Fram brands. 

post-17806-0-13369900-1419080606.jpg

post-17806-0-93543100-1419080633.jpg

post-17806-0-00286400-1419080650.jpg

post-17806-0-16804300-1419080673.jpg

• 5 years later...
On 12/12/2014 at 23:25, Tony K said:

I've encountered the too-long oil filter twice now. Steven is 100% correct in what he is saying; there isn't room to spin the filter on or off because it is so close to the starter.

What brand is #324J?

8 hours ago, S22fan said:

What brand is #324J?

Hi S22fan,

324J is the chassis number of an Esprit S2.2 that I own.  It is a RoW car, left hand drive, and was imported to the U.S. in the early 1980s.    What do you mean by what brand is it?     (By the way, might be better to message me than take this thread off course!)

Cheers,

Tony K.  :)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE