free hit
counters
Revs die when pulling away on an Esprit S1 - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Alec Grimsey

Revs die when pulling away on an Esprit S1

Hi all,

Any thoughts, help, advice and comments would be very welcome.

Since getting my S1 back on the road earlier this year I have done about 450 miles.  Prior to getting it on the road the engine was rebuilt and the timing and carbs were set up by S&J.

The problem I am having is that when the car is up to temperature (its not a problem when cold) and I stop at a junction when I touch the throttle to pull away the revs die and the car cuts out.  Any ideas?

The car is normally a little hesitant when pulling away at low revs (less than 2,000), but I just put that down to my driving style.

I am thinking that the revs die and engine cuts out could be either timing or Carbs. What do you think? Any other possibilities?

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Alec

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Could be carb float levels....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Hi Alec - sounds more like a carb issue than timing - although do check the timing as its so quick and easy on an esprit.

It could be that the engine is running rich hence its fine when cold but as it gets up to temperature becomes less happy.  What do the plugs and tail pipe look like - if you see a lot of black deposit that would point to over rich mixture.  Does the car start easily when cold - if yes again this points to a rich mixture.

Which fuel have you been using? if you are not already using a higher octain fuel then give that a try.

In addition to the suggestions from John W and John D it might be worth checking the mixture with a color tune.

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Cheers  John.

Hi Alec,

as above, but add the accelerator jets to the equation.

I would think SJ's set up would have covered this, but maybe one/ both has got stuck shut? Not sure if you run on choke when cold, but the symptom when warm could be lack of fuel at that instant?

I'm sure a search will advise how to check this without taking the carbs off...good luck

Dave

Hi Alec - just a further clarification - does the car start easily without use of the choke when cold - this could indicate an over rich mixture.  In addition to the check list so far you should also check the mounting of the carbs to ensure no air leaks.

Cheers  John.

With the key on BUT THE CAR OFF, look into the barrels and pull the throttle cable. The accelerator pumps (all four) should squirt the same amount of fuel. If not, look for blockage. If both barrels on one carb don't squirt, check the accl. pump diaphragm and the control rod/return spring.

EDIT:  Re-read your original post, noting that it happens when warmed up.  That makes my comment less likely.  I would check timing first;  rich condition second.  Beyond that, some other possibilities are that a float is sticking when it gets warm, or the fuel pump is failing when it gets warm, or (less likely) what I posted above (being somehow affected by getting warm).

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE