free hit
counters
Distributor Type? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
kehoeautomotive

Distributor Type?

I'm helping a buddy with his 1987 Lotus Esprit Turbo. It has no ignition fire to the plugs.

I've read some info here and this system seems to be different so I'm trying to figure out what kind of distributor this car has and how to test the system. Its looks to be pretty simple.

It has the distributor, coil, ignition amplifier and a rev limiter.

The amplifier is a Lucas AB14 and I can not find out any information on how to test it or the distributor. The coil is good and has power to it, The distributor has two wires going to it and I can not locate the rev limiter (it is not under the fuel collision switch). How do I find out what kind of distributor it has?

The "service notes" manual does not have any distributor tests or amplifier tests that I can see. Is the the "service notes" different from a "service manual"?

The distributor has two wires going to it that goes directly to the ignition amplifier and there was no corrosion on the connector. I cranked the engine and check for fire directly at the coil wire. No spark.

Is there a resistance test I can do to check the pick up coil in the distributor?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes there is (a testing flowchart) ....   Its definitely in the service notes somewhere (well its in mine).   The pickup resistance should be in the region of 3.3k ohms.   Distributor will be some variant of a Lucas 45D

Pretty easy to source all the parts from Ebay (in the UK)

Edited by 910Esprit

Yes there is (a testing flowchart) ....   Its definitely in the service notes somewhere (well its in mine).   The pickup resistance should be in the region of 3.3k ohms.   Distributor will be some variant of a Lucas 45D

Pretty easy to source all the parts from Ebay (in the UK)

Anyone know what year make model of cars used the Lucas 45D distributor?

Where can I get a service manual that gives me the testing procedure?

Thanks!

On the excel it has the same lucas constant energy ign. The rev limiter just shorts the coil it can cause problems. If you just disconnect it from the coil the system will still work for testing.

I would start on the disi take it out check the switching wires inside mine developed a short. also change the rotor arm.

With the disi out you can connect every thing and put a cap on the disi with the HT lead connected and one plug lead pop a spark plug on it short it to earth and spin the disi by hand and you will get a spark at the plug if all is well.

I hope i have explained that to make sense to you.

andy b

Would something like this work? Is it designed to get rid of the ignition amplifier?

http://www.hot-spark.com/1-HS45D4-Distributor.htm

{Googling up Lucas 45D}. Wait are you telling me that this car has ignition points inside of it!?!?!? If that is the case I may have bad points. I will have to pull the distributor cap off and look inside.

I've never actually seen points before. I thought they got rid of those back in the fifties when dinosaurs were still alive!

But why would the distributor have a pickup resistance test if it was points?

On the excel it has the same lucas constant energy ign. The rev limiter just shorts the coil it can cause problems. If you just disconnect it from the coil the system will still work for testing.

I would start on the disi take it out check the switching wires inside mine developed a short. also change the rotor arm.

With the disi out you can connect every thing and put a cap on the disi with the HT lead connected and one plug lead pop a spark plug on it short it to earth and spin the disi by hand and you will get a spark at the plug if all is well.

I hope i have explained that to make sense to you.

andy b

Yes Andy I do understand. I have lots of experience working on vehicles but have never worked on Lucas Ignition Ignition or bosch CIS fuel systems. Both were before my time. 

My buddy asked me to look at it as I have a Esprit too but mine has a GM ignition system out of a cavalier. His is a much better looking model than my "stevens" model (I think mine is a stevens body anyway).

He called around to many shops here in New Orleans and no mechanic would even take a look at it so now he is stuck with me. A guy who owns a tire store and bunches of rental property who tinkers under a shade tree on the weekends. He's SCREWED! LOL!

The distributor look hard to take out and I was hoping to test it and the ignition amplifier before I remove the distributor. 

I can't find the rev limiter (the manual has no component locator than I can see either). It's not under the fuel crash switch or under the carpet above the right wheel arch (at least I have not found it there). I found a pic of one online and it shows it below the fuel crash switch.

If you take the carbs off, which is fiddly but easy to do, access to the distributor is excellent.

Earlier cars had the rev limiter built into rotor arm. :thumbup:

no points electro magnetic switch or some thing similar.

sorry don't know how to link you to a post i made on this system.

put lucas constant energy ign in the search box at the top and you will bring up my post on the subject andy b

45D is the later Lucas  body style, as a successor to the earlier 25.  - there are different baseplates for Points or CE, yours has the CE baseplate  (identified by the 2 leads to the amp).   Many many English cars, especially British Leyland from mid 70s - late 80's will use a 45D body  

NB as a rule of thumb, if the cap is blue its CE, Black for points

Edited by 910Esprit

If you take the carbs off, which is fiddly but easy to do, access to the distributor is excellent.

Earlier cars had the rev limiter built into rotor arm. :thumbup:

It's a 1987 with a Bosch CIS. No Carbs.

45D is the later Lucas  body style, as a successor to the earlier 25.  - there are different baseplates for Points or CE, yours has the CE baseplate  (identified by the 2 leads to the amp).   Many many English cars, especially British Leyland from mid 70s - late 80's will use a 45D body  

NB as a rule of thumb, if the cap is blue its CE, Black for points

The distributor cap is blue. I don't know what CE or NB stands for though. Sorry. New to the Lotus stuff. 

Thank you all for the for the great information!

I will do that search Andy!  :thumbsup:

I would start by inspecting the distributor wires for the hall sender on the inside of the dizi, I think I have read somewhere in here that they can chafe. Getting to the distributor on an injected car is nearly impossible, my is you will need to split the plenum. At least, no fuel or carbs are involved.

Luc

Anyone know what year make model of cars used the Lucas 45D distributor?

Where can I get a service manual that gives me the testing procedure?

Thanks!

I hope this will help:

USA 86’MY onward HCI (1987’Serv. Notes)…………88 onwards Turbo Bosch……………….88 ROW/UK with carbs

45DM4 # 426XXX? .....................................................45DM4 # 42675A……………....…….….45DM4 PN#42653A,

Vac capsule No……………………..…………….……..Vac capsule No……….....………………Vac capsule No. 1614P  54405132

28° vacuum....…………………………………………………………..28° vacuum………………….……………..28° vacuum

15° static.………………………………………………………………..15° static……………………….……………9° static

15°hot idle...……………………………………………………………..15° hot idle…………………….……………9° hot idle

centrifugal:0-1000  nil………………............……………centrifugal:0-1000rpm  nil………………….centrifugal:0-1000 nil,

…………2500rpm  -3°…………………………………………………..2000  +3°……………………………………………2000rpm 11°

…………5000rpm  -6°……………………………………………..5000   nil………………....…………........5000rpm  8°

Update on my buddy's Esprit.

I ordered a Distrubutor Pick Up from JAE and had it installed in only a couple of hours! I drained the fuel, clean the stuck pintle in the fuel distributor and the car started right up like it never even sat up for 9 years.

I took the car for a test drive (his neighbors came out and clapped) and the engine runs well. No serious leaks (I was surprised) and it has boost and everything.

I did not get very far however. The brakes started locking up, the headlights do not work and the transmisison throw out bearing is making a lot of noise. 

It's a start. I think we will be able to add another Lotus to the running list here in New Orleans. His goal is to have it drivable to the British Car show at Delgado University in March.

Anyway.... thanks everyone again. i will get some photos up soon as I'm sure I will discover other stuff to fix!

Almost forgot....

Do I reinstall the Ignition Amplifier now that the car has an aftermarket Petronix ignition pick up? The instructions don't say.

If it works, I say don't touch it!

The K-jetronic as that advantage, it just keeps on going… as long as it is clean.

New fuel filter is a cheap insurance, even if as I can see you other priorities.

If it works, I say don't touch it!

The K-jetronic as that advantage, it just keeps on going… as long as it is clean.

New fuel filter is a cheap insurance, even if as I can see you other priorities.

I did replace all of the filters and fluids in the car except for the brake fluid. I will leave the ignition amplifier off of it then. I will fix the brakes and headlights this weekend. And I will post up some of the promised pics.

Thanks for the advice!