free hit
counters
IPS or Manual - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
theelanman

IPS or Manual

ok Im looking at getting an Evora......

Ive driven quite a few but they've all been manual boxes.....

Ive only ever driven manual boxes.......on my normal cars that is (ofh I did have a Saab Aero with sensonic....manual box but no clutch pedal)...

anyway.....

whats better?....how easy is the IPS to drive?...

is it in auto until you play with the paddles......how do you start using the gears...how do you stop using the gears?....

just a lot of questions on the IPS system I guess....

is it reliable?.....

how does it like wet roads?

snowy roads.....

any answers much appreciated

thanks

G

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi G

whats better?....how easy is the IPS to drive?...

I can't comment on what is better because I have only driven the IPS but it is very easy. Put it in D and off you go. Just like every other automatic that I have ever driven.

is it in auto until you play with the paddles......

If you are in normal mode (not sport) it stays in auto until you use one of the pandles. Then it goes into manual and will stay in this gear for 30 seconds (something like that) before switching back to auto. If you are in sport and you use one of the pedals the car will go into manual and will not change up by itself except to prevent stalling.

how do you start using the gears...

You pull one of the paddles.

how do you stop using the gears?....

You push the D button or you hold the right paddle until it shows D in the dash again.

is it reliable?.....

Maybe more reliable than the manual which can have problems with the clutch. It seems however that this is more of an American problem. Maybe its the way they drive the car?

how does it like wet roads?

Same as the manual? I don't see how the gear box would make a difference? It has an open diff. If you floor it, the rears spin up but it keeps straight. Quite different to a limited slip diff in case you have driven one. You have to remember that you have 400Nm at your disposal. So if you are heavy footed you have to pay a little bit of attention.

snowy roads.....

Can't comment. Haven't had snow yet.

Kind regards

Edited by MrStephens

The Evora has an electronic diff, it's quite different to drive than a car with an open diff like the Esprit for example.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/lotus-dpm/

• Electronic Differential Lock – will ensure that if there is a road situation which leads to a wheel with less grip spinning then braking force is applied to this wheel to allow torque to be sent to the other wheel which means better cornering performance and acceleration on surfaces where one wheel can grip and the other cannot.

I was under the impression that the electronic differential only works in very low grip conditions like snow.

I must add that the car hasn't stepped out on me yet in normal mode. Only sport.

It'll work anytime one wheel rotates significantly faster than the other :)

On a side note. From the Lotus Cars website and the playground  it seems the IPS has a very economy focused gearing in the upper gears (i. e.  poor performance) . And is heavily  limited in top speed. 

Anyone know what the real facts are? I've thought about an IPS a few times,  but losing 40 Kph top speed would ruin my day (week,  year,  life,...).  :help:

I can't speak on top end speed, but I'm over two years into a MY12 IPS. I love it, great when pushing a bit using the paddles. And great to have auto mode for cruise etc. Also the box is set up nicely so you can change up with a little lift of the foot.

Personal preference but I love it

The IPS doesn't blunt the performance - at least not in the S

Horses for courses but I wouldn't go back to manual. Effortlessly fast and will do it all day. IPS limits the revs a little so the upper limit in sport mode is a little less but really you will not notice.

Exige V6 IPS is actually a 10th quicker to 60 than the manual

Its all down to the driver. In my mind, my manual Evora NA will kick the ass of any car thats ever been made. Ever. 

I also scored a low mark on my SATs. Unrelated i'm sure :D

In truth, the topic has been done to death before. If you search, you'll find the details. But its a matter of taste. I've had automatic sports cars before, and for me, they lose 'something'. The engagement you experience when using a gear stick cannot be compared with flappy paddles. It becomes a computer game, rather than a 'marriage' of body and machine. I know that sounds overly romanticised, but i've thought about it over and over. It turns from playing an instrument of love, to performing surgery. One is never performed in the same way twice, but always sounds and works well. The other is performed perfectly each time (except if you go via the NHS) yet somehow lacks the soul.

3rds good for just over 100, 4th I'd imagine to 140 so 5th and 6th are the cruising gears, I never used them when pressing on so good fuel economy is a bonus from the longer ratios.

3rds good for just over 100, 4th I'd imagine to 140 so 5th and 6th are the cruising gears, I never used them when pressing on so good fuel economy is a bonus from the longer ratios.

That's the difference in UK. I'm always in 5th or 6th when pressing on the Autobahn. 4th is only good for ~200 Kph, which is what I call heavy traffic. :huh:

Life begins @ 270 (Kph)! :harhar:

According to 'the web' the IPS has a top speed of 167 mph which is 268.76 km/h.

I guess for IPS owners life never begins ;)

That was my conclusion also. 

But, 270 Kph also confirms that life with SWMBO is very hard.  :vava:

the "good fuel eco." is relative in 5th an 6 th gear......see Thomas comments on the proper use of the Evora on the Autobahn...the "Problem" is, the Evora drives so easy at higher ppeeds, combined with the exc brakes you often use the car at 240 km/h and at higher speeds

• Like 1

Best thing to do is drive both, maybe the IPS will suit your lifestyle and driving style. If you live in a city then I'd understand why an IPS might make sense.

Have you driven a double clutch auto? if the Evora behaved like that I'd buy one today no matter what the cost to change was, they are epic and fun but don't be disillusioned, the IPS is not the same.

I was thinking of upgrading mine to a 2012/13 IPS (just for a change) S next year, advice from a friend who's driven one or two IPS cars is that as if you've used a double clutch car then beware.. It's not the same thing and would frustrate me. I'm sticking with manual.

Just had my car serviced two days ago and they changed the gearbox oil, it feels great and works just fine... My only criticism is that you can't rush a gear change and its a long throw... But it works just fine for the money ;-)

A manual Evora is a breath of fresh air in a digital world. Go drive both, we are all different!

Completely agree with rouge. I havent driven a MY2012 deliberately because it would have made me tempted to spend more money that I didnt have. :D So both my experiences are on the original models in both NA versions.

I didnt go for the IPS partly because of the lack of dual clutch. Lets face it....all the 'sports autos' are heading that way; Mercedes, BMW, and all the better marques. Lotus is behind the curve. The IPS does the job fine, for sure. I loved the downblip, and the ease of it, and I do obviously like flappy paddles to an extent. But it will always be an 'automatic'. 

For my tastes, the manual with a close ratio sports gearbox, updated linkages and all the works....it's brilliant. Technically, all you need is 1st and 3rd gear if you're being lazy. Who needs an auto! :D

That, and theres a certain element of theatrics. My routine for sports mode is the following:

Sports Mode On.

Arm Rest in the up-position

Test wingmirror folding, for added suspense....

Sunglasses on.

'I mean business' certainly is shown when you move the armrest up so you can really attack that gearstick. Cant do that in an IPS! :D

To be honest the only real 'problem' with the IPS is the way 2nd is geared. If you leave it in 2nd and you are coming up to a roundabout at a normal speed it will go into torque converter mode and disconnects you from the drive train. As soon as you apply throttle it gives you the slushbox feel before taking off. A little annoying. And you cant use 1st in town without looking like a d**khead.

Otherwise I quite like it in manual IPS mode with the nice autoblip. Good fun.

Hi,

I went for the IPS and find for a daily driver with town commuting it works brilliantly. I find with sudden changes in speed it can get quite badly caught out in normal auto mode, changes down can be pretty clunky and it does change up too quickly when driving normally. In these situations I find that once it's in sport and you are on the paddles then it's brill.

As previous people have said, they are fab cars whatever but drive both and see what you like!

Good luck

Rich

'I mean business' certainly is shown when you move the armrest up so you can really attack that gearstick. Cant do that in an IPS! :D

All you have to do now is blip the throttle on the downchanges like the IPS Pro I am!  :harhar:

I went the full works, 2013 cables, short shift mod and high performance transmission fluid. Once the car is warm it is absolutely on par with the best manuals. 

As I said above, the IPS just doesn't meet the specs. Sure, its OK for most purposes, but then,  once you start making compromises, you might as well go for a Golf. 

Now,  a double - clutch would get my mouth watering, but there is nothing in the Toyota lineup that would work. 

Don't get hung up on a double clutch. F-Type has an 8 speed torque convertor and nobody moans about that.

There are some snags with double clutches as well - the VAG DSG boxes have their fair share of problems.

A friends Ferrari 458 is a complete nightmare when manoeuvring around town