free hit
counters
IPS or Manual - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

IPS or Manual

Don't get hung up on a double clutch. F-Type has an 8 speed torque convertor and nobody moans about that.

There are some snags with double clutches as well - the VAG DSG boxes have their fair share of problems.

A friends Ferrari 458 is a complete nightmare when manoeuvring around town

Manoeuvring around town is a nightmare regardless of the gearbox (or car) . 

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the "good fuel eco." is relative in 5th an 6 th gear......see Thomas comments on the proper use of the Evora on the Autobahn...the "Problem" is, the Evora drives so easy at higher ppeeds, combined wit

Manoeuvring around town is a nightmare regardless of the gearbox (or car) . 

Posted Images

Hi all,

This is an interesting thread. I have been hampering for an automatic for last couple of years due to back problems with affect my left leg. I didn't realise until I read this thread that the IPS was in fact an automatic. I thought it was a manual without a clutch but never really took much notice. 

I bought the Evora manual in May so I could get on the Evora ladder. Whilst it's a low mileage and excellent example, I now wonder if I should have gone for the IPS model. I also thought about the S but since I was able to buy the Evora in the first place and still keep my Esprit, I knew that this is the best solution. Since I use my Evora as a daily driver and drive a lot slower thesedays, the Evora NA is plenty quick enough for my needs.

I was thinking of changing my A5 for an Automatic version of the same car but my wife uses this now for travelling to work. we do use the A5 more at weekends with the family, so at least I would get to use it.

So it brings me back to the Evora and I am now thinking of changing my current car for an IPS. Whilst I work from home, I still have to visit clients or go to site from time to time. Getting stuck in rush hour traffic (which is only once a fortnight on average), really causes misery on my back. I am glad I don't have to commute every day!

Do you think I would benefit from swapping to an IPS and what about value for money (bearing in mind that I would probably have to take a hit on my current car as I am thinking of px with a car I've seen already)?

Or do you think that the lack of rush hour commuting I do, doesn't really warrant it and that I should stick with the manual?

Regards,

David

chaps...

thanks for all the replies and pointers to other posts and articles....

Ive done a lot of reading and cant really see any negatives.....

the car works well in both IPS and Manual so I guess the proof will be my test over the weekend....

if it suits me then I hope it'll be in my garage very soon......

fingers crossed......

:-D

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

:clap:  :thumbsup:  :animier:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

1440x1080.png

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

As I have driven around 45.000 KM with the IPS now, let me give a word too.

1. it is certainly a personal matter, just on the base: somebody likes manual as it is from its mech.system, somebody likes IPS as it is built as a "new generation shifting mode" with the paddles.

2. apart of 1.: myself I truned more and more to the IPS due to daily use and experience. so: where do I drive and how do I drive and what do I like more to feel myself comfortable. 

3. I favorise the IPS,      - caus it is more comfortable into the stop and go use. (maybe a question of age)

- as I ride very often the mountains, it is quicker by changing gears in/out curves (and you have the                                                  steering wheel always held with 2 hands, which is needed to control the different traction influences.

- the normal mode is really for cruising only and saves fuel (rolling, not driving)

- the sports mode I use 80% when driving, (and not just "distancing")

4. Compare: I have two other Paddlesystems I use with other cars: the Abarth which is rougher and has switch delays and the Range Rover which is smoother (more rubberbanding) but unexciting, aslo never messing up.

5. The Lotus IPS works... yes... but sometimes the gearswitch takes longer "than expected" and sometimes it works ultraquick. I still did not find out what are the parameters to have to switch perfectly. Sometimes the gearchange is coarse (2nd-3rd an viceversa) but also around 4th I sometimes really feel the toothedwheels. 

I put a leatherback on the "up paddel" so that in heavy curveroads I can feel which paddle I have to use for the gear I want to change in (sometimes in curves, it is hard to identify the steering wheel position and if you cant take your eyes from the street, the "fingertipscontactsense" touching helps)

After some updates the problem with the roundabouts (2nd in 1st) is better, you can switch in 1st, but in hairpincurves it is still the speed who leads to a nondownshift in 1st. 

6. Conclusion: for me the IPS is better, but it is not as perfect as the for example the roadhandling of the Evora. It is OK, but with potential to be cultivated. :cheers:

Finally a stupid thing: as I am mechanical or analogue lover, the manual system is clear, steady and tranparent, while the IPS could always be a bit of a Pandorabox= you dont know where you are if the display shows you something and yourself you think: hm... it shows four, but I think I am in 3rd....

Edited by anubis1
  • Like 1

Dave,  no answer to your question here as I have never driven the IPS for a number of reasons - and not a lack of opportunity.  Trying to curb being a serial Evora buying habit!  I'll be interested to hear how you get on if you do change as I have suffered bad back & Lotus Leg for 5+ years now driving the Evora.  I know I am not the only one from talking to other (older) owners.

I have some compressed discs touching nerves and it is agony at times.  The Evora in traffic only accentuates it.  Cruising no problem.  Being of shorter build lets say, and overweight doesn't help.  I have never liked the Evora driving position since the wheel is too close when the pedals are correct.  I am lucky in that I'm only ever in traffic once in a blue moon working offshore and living in a relatively traffic free area and every time I am unlucky to get caught out in Edinburgh or Glasgow I comment I could never do this daily (with or without IPS)  

One time when I had one of my sons with me when we were stuck in standing traffic down south in Englandshire inching along for about 45 mins with constant clutch dipping we had to do a rapid driver change running round the car on the motorway as I simply couldn't think straight due to the pain levels.  The fact that he wasn't insured other than 3rd party and had never driven it suddenly didn't matter!

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Yes, so have all the Evoras but if you are shorter legged like me then even with the wheel in the furthest away position it is still closer than I'd like when set up to be comfortable with fully dipping the clutch pedal in particular., which is important when the g'box is cold as we all know.  I end up starting a journey closer to wheel when clutch work required then once out on the open road drop it back a few notches and then get on the cruise control so I can remove my right leg of it to somewhere that the bolster doesn't cut off the blood.

IMO they spent so much time making the car fit the 98 percentile or whatever was quoted in the early pre-launch days (i.e to get Mike Kimberly into it is one of the stories I remember seeing) they forgot about short @rses like me.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

• 4 weeks later...

I've got pretty short legs - but then I haven't got a clutch pedal so that could be the reason I have no problems

Actually, driving position/comfort is an issue I've had with the Evora 6 speed and being only 5'5".  I also had the seat to far forward to get the clutch pedal down.  It was a factor that made me trade my 6 speed S for an IPS S.  I'm so much more comfortable now.

• Like 1

Hi all,

This is an interesting thread. I have been hampering for an automatic for last couple of years due to back problems with affect my left leg. I didn't realise until I read this thread that the IPS was in fact an automatic. I thought it was a manual without a clutch but never really took much notice.

I bought the Evora manual in May so I could get on the Evora ladder. Whilst it's a low mileage and excellent example, I now wonder if I should have gone for the IPS model. I also thought about the S but since I was able to buy the Evora in the first place and still keep my Esprit, I knew that this is the best solution. Since I use my Evora as a daily driver and drive a lot slower thesedays, the Evora NA is plenty quick enough for my needs.

I was thinking of changing my A5 for an Automatic version of the same car but my wife uses this now for travelling to work. we do use the A5 more at weekends with the family, so at least I would get to use it.

So it brings me back to the Evora and I am now thinking of changing my current car for an IPS. Whilst I work from home, I still have to visit clients or go to site from time to time. Getting stuck in rush hour traffic (which is only once a fortnight on average), really causes misery on my back. I am glad I don't have to commute every day!

Do you think I would benefit from swapping to an IPS and what about value for money (bearing in mind that I would probably have to take a hit on my current car as I am thinking of px with a car I've seen already)?

Or do you think that the lack of rush hour commuting I do, doesn't really warrant it and that I should stick with the manual?

Regards,

David

David,

You have a manual Esprit so I'll let you off! ;-)

This question is one I'm sure we've all pondered at some point. Just go try one, maybe it will be perfect for you?! Maybe it won't, we are all different. My brother a long time ago had an E46 M3 with an SMG box that everyone slated.. We both enjoyed it for what it was and adapted our driving style to work with the car.. It was a great car!

I think if you're a bit flexible in changing your driving style and habits then maybe an NA IPS would suit. BIBS has said he thinks the NA IPS is the sweetspot on the current range... Go try one!!

A friends Ferrari 458 is a complete nightmare when manoeuvring around town

This is a good example of one persons nightmare and a non event for another!!

I have the pleasure of driving a 458 occasionally. I've never once had a nightmare driving it in town/traffic or at slow speeds, its one of it's many talents... 458's really are an everyday Ferrari if you want it to be.

Maybe your friend needs to take it in for a software check or something, once you're used to it's dimensions then they are a non event, but that's only my opinion and I'm a self confessed obsessed 458 fan!!

Why is his such a nightmare? The Getrag box is immaculate.

Cheers,

A ;-)

post-15194-0-42991900-1421655876.jpg

BIBS has said he thinks the NA IPS is the sweetspot on the current range... Go try one!!

Remember they don't sell the NA anymore...

Evora NA

You can't buy the NA ??? Since when ?

the NA has been removed from the current range of Evoras....

last year IIRC.....2014.... 

you can only but the S

Edited by theelanman

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

There still seems to be a few new NA cars being sold off currently though, but as Bibs mentioned the factory will not build you an NA any longer, So get in quick if you want a new NA!

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds?Category=used-cars&EnginePowerFrom=250&EnginePowerTo=300&M=914&MinPrice=55000&Page=1&TradePrivateFilter=Trade

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400