free hit
counters
Quick question re antifreeze - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
PhilW

Quick question re antifreeze

Going to renew over Christmas.  Want to use antifreeze rather than Evans. 

What are peoples latest thoughts/experiences.  There are loads of other threads but some are quite old now so any good info would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Unless you are doing a super complete flush, and removing all traces of your previous antifreeze, then you should use the same stuff that is in there.  Otherwise you can have issues mixing different types.

Antifreeze is usually fine, as long as you replace it as specified, and don't let it sit too long.  it's also bad to keep adding water to top it off!  Always maintain the proper ratio.

I know antifreeze has been done to death, but there is still a lot of misunderstanding out there;

I'm doing a complete flush and fill, so thought about switching to OAT pink as recommended by Lotus according to Bibs.

Stuck the car's registration into the  website and it came back recommending blue.....Oh well!  Thought I may as well get that locally so rings around to find a 20 gallon drum,  and the guy I speak to says he doesn't even blue any more as it "rots aluminium engines" (sounds like bollocks and I've never had any problems, but OK back to pink).

Now I read that the pink longlife either doesn't protect, or actively destroys, brass (depending on who you listen to!). Though I've never seen it I assume the radiator header tanks are brass so........what the hell??

When did a simple thing become so complicated. I'm wanting to fill it up tonight so any advice is welcome.

Have you thought about giving Evans a try? @Buddsy seems to have got on very well with it.

4 hours ago, Bibs said:

Have you thought about giving Evans a try? @Buddsy seems to have got on very well with it.

Its encouraging if someone has successfully used the Evans in an early Turbo.

Two factors on paper count against the Evans when used in a cooling system with a remote radiator and small-bore plumbing in the cylinder head area, namely its viscosity is higher and specific heat capacity is lower. But the proof of the pudding.... as they say.

I use the blue stuff from Euro Car Parts.

Over the past 28 years I have used various "proper" antifreezes, assorted "ready mixed" antifreezes and (in the summer) even plain water when I had to. No signs of corrosion anywhere...apart from road salt on the exhaust studs, the first time I had the engine apart in 1989. Since then, no matter what I have had in the engine, all has stayed pristine. Thus, I don't think it matters a tuppeny wotsit.....just put the antifreeze in there, and don't worry. 

• Like 1

Surprised your not using pink...... 

Oh gosh.....pink pants and trench coats

16 hours ago, Andyww said:

Its encouraging if someone has successfully used the Evans in an early Turbo.

Two factors on paper count against the Evans when used in a cooling system with a remote radiator and small-bore plumbing in the cylinder head area, namely its viscosity is higher and specific heat capacity is lower. But the proof of the pudding.... as they say.

I use the blue stuff from Euro Car Parts.

Speaking of Euro Car Parts they are having an online sale, 30% off everything using code WEEKEND30 until midnight 13th. I really like this company (no connection!) I have ordered stuff from them and a motorbike arrives an hour later with it!

• Like 1

Yep just used them, pretty much half price compared to Halfords with the discount plus their deionised water is cheap. Sick of prattling around so stuck with blue, if I ever change the rad for an alloy one then I'll switch to pink.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2014 at 21:19, PhilW said:

Going to renew over Christmas.  Want to use antifreeze rather than Evans. 

What are peoples latest thoughts/experiences.  There are loads of other threads but some are quite old now so any good info would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

A few thoughts/experiences -

• Don't do it with a hangover
  • I have never got away with spending any time in the garage Christmas day or Boxing day
  • The day after boxing day is OK but see first point
  • I use blue, it works, its cheap, it doesn't matter if you cant get the old stuff out,  why wouldn't you?

Steve

• Like 1