free hit
counters
Stainless steel header glowing red - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
gvy

Stainless steel header glowing red

Just a quick question.

I installed a new 4 in 1 stainless steel header from SJ.

Before I had the standard cast iron header.

As I am running the car at idle in my garage up to temperature for testing purposes lately, I noticed this evening (in the dark) that the SS header starts to softly glow red . It happens when the car is getting at a temperature of about 80°C. When I give it  some RPM's  the glow becomes more visible.

The advance at idle has been checked and is about 7°.

I guess this is normal ?

Are there people that advice wrapping the exhaust to keep the engine compartment cooler?

Now, by wrapping the header, the temperature of the header material is becoming even higher, so I guess it will destruct the stainless steel header in a short time?

It may be a wrong impression, but it seems that the engine is cooling quicker after a drive with the SS header than it did with the original cast iron.

Geert

Edited by gvy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Quite normal for it to get cheery red if you wrap  it it only moves the heat to where it is not wrapped just be aware of that.

andy b

Check your ignition timing. If it is too early, it will create massive heat, when the piston still is compressing ahead of TDC when igniting.

Bin ther, seen it, done it... ouch.

A thin wall stainless tube is going to become cherry red very quickly especially when compared to the heavy thick wall cast iron original.

Buddsy

Glowing at idle would seem strange to me, giving it some beans on the road, then yes, but sat idling in your garage?

Ignition timing is spot on as mentioned in the first post.

I set it static (engine out)  at 7 deg BTDC and I checked it later on with a strobolight. Also when reading my sparkplugs, timing seems OK

However I can give it a bit more advance and have a look.

Maybe with the much bigger exhaustpipesystem, exhaustgasspeed is lower at idle, creating more heat at the exhaustports.

I agree with Buddsy    and also I think idling for a prolonged time, while testing and ballancing carbs fe, gets things heater then actually driving around, cooling things.

Maybe someone with the SJ system on its car can try it a evening,( it must be dark to notice it) and report here?

Geert

Edited by gvy

Well, I just did a short evening drive in the dark, a spirited one.

If I stop and have a look, there is no glowing.But It starts glowing softly ,shortly after I stopped the car, while it is idling.

I think all is fine and this is normal.

Geert

Hi Geert,

I have not noticed my SJ manifold glowing at idle.

Pete