free hit
counters
Essex Chassis Number List! - Page 2 - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

• 10 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know of the three "commemorative" cars that Jim Loose imported.  My understanding was that all three of those cars were shipped in white.  I have also heard that they were later cars.   This one s

Hello mr nello i really love what you did wish the world are full with ppl like you

Seems interest in the Essex Turbos is on the rise....and rightly so. Even though I'm a card carrying JPS owner I have a soft spot for the Essex, essentially a continuation of the F1 themed Esprits tha

Posted Images

Thanks for sharing :rofl:

Haven't seen any decent pics of the roof mounted consol before and I think it looks great. Always wondered about that.

As far as I know, there is an Essex in South Africa. If it's the car I'm thinking of, it was re-sprayed, engine transplant (Mazda I think) and in a bit of a sorry state. At least it still exists, and will try and find out more.

Cheers - Mark

Hi Lotus .Great picture bet you could not keep your eyes off the trailer LOL .And i dont blame you ....Great to see the car coming back to life .If only i had the money ......... Good luck .Cheers Mike

I've mentioned it elsewhere but you can add me to the list of owners with Essex No.11.

Hi, If I've done this correctly should be a photo of 011 outside in the sun today - Club Lotus Festival 2008

Steve 004

Hi, If I've done this correctly should be a photo of 011 outside in the sun today - Club Lotus Festival 2008

Steve 004

Hi, That worked ok so here's another photo - Steve 004

Hi Lotus .Great picture bet you could not keep your eyes off the trailer LOL .And i dont blame you ....Great to see the car coming back to life .If only i had the money ......... Good luck .Cheers Mike

Thanks, and I am probably going to need some help from you guys over the next few months.

I am going to do a restoration job on the car, but not go the full hog with the body off, all nuts/bolts/bushes replaced etc, I just want it in good running order so that it can be driven. Some of these cars that have had every little bit replaced or restored seem to spend most of their time stationary in the garage or at shows. I have experience with Esprits, and shiny new parts soon corrode if you drive the car. It seems that you have to keep a concours car hermetically sealed

if you want it to stay that way, and that doesnt seem right to me. Esprits are for driving! So Ive bought a dead one! (Actually I love to tinker with cars)

As a first step, I tried removing the spark plugs with a view to putting some oil down the bores and turning the engine over, but No. 3 took an hour to remove and No. 4 sheared off, it was seized solid. I will take the engine out and dismantle it - the cylinder head was refaced at 25000 miles and replaced at 36000 miles at huge expense, probably due to cooling problems - it seems Essex No 018 cost its owners a few quid over the years with minimal mileage to show for it. The engine does turn and has good compression on the 3 cylinders that havent got a broken spark plug stuck in the top of them.

The rest of the car is in good shape, and very original, but the rusty suspension will need sandblasting and powdercoating although the springs and shocks look like new. The brakes and clutch are seized. On putting a battery on the car the roof stereo sprung into life (Christine?) and the right hand headlight continuously winked up and down in a cheeky manner, maybe it was telling me something....

I will post some pictures as I do it if anyone is interested, is this the right thread for this sort of thing?

Joolz (This is my username but I can only sign in as Lotus)

Hey Joolz - There's a section for restorations, a new thread in there would be great :)

I'll change your name to Joolz if you like or you can do it yourself in the 'my controls' section.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Joolz

I was in the same position as you 12 months ago when I bought Essex 011 (see pics of Donnington). Mine had done only 500 miles in last 15 years but technically was a runner although you wouldn't have wanted to drive it on the road. I had much of the bringing back to life done for me by Gerald Turner at GST performance who is a top top man.

Good luck and enjoy

• 1 year later...

Hi Martin - There is one white Essex, that could be it! Do you have any more information please?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hi Bibs:

Here is the source of the news about a white ESSEX Esprit

Link:

http://www.forum-auto.com/marques/Autres-m...es/sujet599.htm

Text:

The official Lotus figures for the Esprit Essex Turbo Build are as follows:

45 Essex Turbo Cars Built

1 Styling Car (Right Hand Drive)

6 Development Cars (3 Right Hand Drive & 3 Left Hand Drive)

4 Pre Production Cars – 3 Blue & 1 White (all Right Hand Drive)

34 Production Cars

23 UK Cars (Right Hand Drive)

11 Export Cars (10 Left Hand Drive & 1 Right Hand Drive)

Best regards,

Richard Benjamin

Corporate Website Co-ordinator

LOTUS CARS LTD

T +44 (0)1953 608470

F +44 (0)1953 857043

[email protected]

Ilso herrd about a ex-David Thieme Lotus Esprit....does someone has more info?

The white car was a pre production car used for PR before being sold on, the last 5 digits of the VIN are 10897.

Evora NA

They had Esprits, the current owner of Mansells car is a member on this forum, but they weren't Essex editions.

Evora NA

Hi,

The active Esprit Vin no. SCCFC20A3AHD10895, pre-Production NCL 475V, Essex livery, registered to the Delorean Motor Co.

After being involved in an indescretion at Snetterton in it's early days as the active car was rebuilt, re-painted black but retained it's red leather interior and re-registered as GCL 269Y.

Recovered from the Hethal undergrowth many years ago now but still at Hethal.

I'm sure a long time ago now it made an appearance at the Donnington Lotus Show.

The genuine White Essex (10897) lives in France. Essex 012 (the ebay one) recently sold by Speedmaster Cars has also been exported to France. I've not had any success contacting the new owner.

Steve T

Thanks for the info Steve.

Here is a front wiew from the white ESSEX Esprit

whiteespritessexfrontjp.th.jpg

whiteespritessexfront.th.jpg

Does someone knows wich ESSEX reg. it had?

About ACTIVE SUSPENSION Esprit, here is another pic...do you know who is intrigued about it? :whistle:

lotusturboespritprincec.th.jpg

Edited by colinsays
  • 6 months later...

Hi all,

I recently picked up a very sad Essex Esprit in South Africa it was metallic blue (not with the chrome and red stipes though)(snif) but it did have a dry sump arrangement. Apparently the original engine decided it would work better with a con rod on the outside of the block! So the engine was scrapped I believe. When I removed the hood linning "Essex" was revealed in black marker on the underside of the roof. It is also LHD and I found some Italian coins in it! So I'd love to find out some history. I am sure the chassis number starts with 009, but will have to check when I see the car again next week. Keitht.

Ooh exciting! :)

Not to water down your enthusiiasm though, but mine also has Essex written under the head lining in marker, found it during a retrim last year, in my case it was just reffering to the colour the war was to be painted.

Let us know how you get on :)

10102007448.jpg

Heres mine for reference! Looks like a last minuite change of colour, thank god!

Chunky Lover

Hello Kieth,

The only numbered Essex we know of in your part of the world is 022 RHD chassis 10946 however will be interested to know the chassis number. Incidently what we think is Essex 009 chassis 10932 was shipped to Kuala Lumpa.

Steve T

Not sure if this is useful but there is a fire damaged Essex breaking at Lotusbits - I have just had something off of it.

Don't know which one it is but I am sure they'd be happy to tell you.

Not great news, one to cross off the list sadly. :-(