free hit
counters
Essex Chassis Number List! - Page 3 - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

That's the ex-Douglas Valley car.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know of the three "commemorative" cars that Jim Loose imported.  My understanding was that all three of those cars were shipped in white.  I have also heard that they were later cars.   This one s

Hello mr nello i really love what you did wish the world are full with ppl like you

Seems interest in the Essex Turbos is on the rise....and rightly so. Even though I'm a card carrying JPS owner I have a soft spot for the Essex, essentially a continuation of the F1 themed Esprits tha

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

HI guys,

looking to know how many LHD original Essex cars were built and found this topic.

Just a question as I'm not an expert about turbo Esprit, how much would be the value of an LHD Essex today? :)

Thanks

Giorgio

Giorgio

That is a can of worms question.

The problem is that there are so few of them about (3 on the road in the UK?), how bad a buyer wants one and how keen the seller is to sell.

For example RHD Essex 007 (Search for another thread and set yourself a bit of time to read it..) was for sale a couple of years ago at somewhere between £20k-£13k depending on which way the wind was blowing. However, those of us that actually went to see it agreed that it needed a complete repray and the interior leather was ruined, a fact that you could only tell by seeing the car in the flesh.

A few months ago the same car is/was up for sale in Australia at the equivalent of £50k but it does look as if its now in better condition than when for sale in the UK.

I'm sure there will be a few posts responding that they "are not worth that much", "not much different from a standard car etc etc etc". However, whilst as ever it's true that anything is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay, on the flip side in a limited market you need to find a buyer willing to sell.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

• 8 months later...

when readng the messages for the link for the white one in france,, at the time they say there are three essex's in france,,

no 12(the white one) forum login name- free17 more photos here

http://oldschool.club-lotus.fr/lotus/tous-les-modeles/esprit/historique-descriptif/esprit-turbo-essex/

one for sale in a garage, mint condition RHD no 026 for 150 000 euro message left by username marcopolob

Edited by wolflyn

1981 Turbo Esprit

esprit-avatar-lew.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Demand just went up. I've seen a posting to the TurboEsprit list that somebody here in USA wants to buy one.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have just found this forum and would like to ask if anyone has any information on the history of my essex turbo. When I bought it in 1988, I was informed it was a pre production car. It was first registered in December 1979 as KAH527V. It is white with red leather. There is evidence that it was once left hand drive, and I had been told that it had been to the States for a tour of the dealerships and then was returned to the Lotus factory where it was converted to right hand drive. The car still has marker lights on the side as per USA regulations. The radio antenna is on the nearside (left). See post no. 10 re KAH540V stating this was the second development turbo. Could KAH527V have been the first? The car is now registered in Northern Ireland on an NI plate. Any information would be helpful.

http://www.ebay.co.u...a2aed659&_uhb=1

Article featuring KAH540V on ebay.

Also on Mr. Lewis' post, Paul Steinberg's 1980 Esprit Turbo in Melbourne, Australia, a RHD Essex Spec white/red originally also has the US spec side markers.

It is very easy to see under the bonnet though what side of the car the steering was intended for.

I would love to see some pictures of your car Mr. Lewis.

Edited by Lex Templar

Can you supply me with the VIN and some pics ideally, the factory will have more info about your car - please feel free to email if you'd rather not post [email protected] :thumbup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all

I'm new to this forum & have been reading this thread on the Essex turbo with some interest.

As a young chap living in Norwich I used to cycle out to Hethel and take a few snaps.

In those days, the road into the factory ran alongside the test track so it was simply a matter of standing there and waiting for something interesting to come past - which needless to say happened quite often.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have a few snaps of NCL458V lapping the test track. I understand from this thread that this was Essex no. 001.

I'd be happy to post the pics on here if anyone is interested.

cheers

Sean

Thanks for sharing. The quality is 'period', exactly how it should be :thumbup:

Evora NA

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone!  My name is Brian and yesterday I purchased a 1981 Lotus Esprit Essex.  It has been stored in a garage for the last twenty years and is in almost perfect condition.  Since it's purchase yesterday I have been trying to read as much as possible about this car and find out some more information.  It is a LHD car here in the US.  It is blue with red interior, overhead Panasonic stereo, engine says Essex, last three of the chassis is 307.  

I read that 306 and 308 are Essex, but did not see my 307 listed as one of the 11.

It is extremely clean.  We won't do anything mechanically with the car until we get more information.  The odometer reads just over 10k.

No keys yet either - so while it is on my mind please let me know if boot, doors, gas caps, and ignition are the same key.

Thank you!!  So excited it's hard to type :)

G'day Brian,

congrats on the find. That makes 2 Commemorative cars in the area, however mines a JPS Commemorative Edition that preceded your Essex by 2 years. Was just up in Seattle with it on a 500 mile round trip journey from Oregon. Would have loved to meet up and get a photos of the 2 cars together.

By all accounts there were 3 Essex type cars brought into the USA but they are not in the official lists. They were grey market imports by Jim Loose imports in Palo Alto California. I believe your car may be one of these. Would love to hear the story behind your car and how you found it.

Roo

www.jpsesprit.com