free hit
counters
Essex Chassis Number List! - Page 4 - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I own and drive 007 0907GT Essex Esprit. It's here in Melbourne Australia after I brought it over with me from the UK. Bought it off David Rowatt in London. Shipped it over with two Aston Martins and two BMW's as well as my Jensen Healey. I've redone the interior including the head lining. I've also started working through all the suspension bushes upgrading them to SJ parts. Engine and gearbox is a treat as was completely rebuilt 10000 miles ago. Anyway it was sitting for a while but this year I managed to buy some new tyres (P600's) for the car. So I'm using it quite a bit now and loving it. Anyway I want to ask if the front decal should always be silver(chrome) or were they also fitted in white. (The turbo Esprit Decal).  My Essex is fitted with a white decal and all the old photo's of the car have it in white. But the Lotus parts catalogue shows the car should be fitted with a silver (chrome) decal.

By the way if you think you get stared at in the UK in an Esprit you should try it here in OZ, especially and Essex! Also I want to get a copy of the Essex owners list but it won't download...can someone help here.

Oh and another Question. Does anyone know who bought the dry sump 910 engine that was listed on ebay Uk last year? I want to know if they are will to part it?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know of the three "commemorative" cars that Jim Loose imported.  My understanding was that all three of those cars were shipped in white.  I have also heard that they were later cars.   This one s

Hello mr nello i really love what you did wish the world are full with ppl like you

Seems interest in the Essex Turbos is on the rise....and rightly so. Even though I'm a card carrying JPS owner I have a soft spot for the Essex, essentially a continuation of the F1 themed Esprits tha

Posted Images

James

I noticed the decal on the front was white when I saw the car here in North London. I think it should be chrome.

If you PM me with you're email address I'll send you the list albeit that Steve Tryner may have one that is more up to date. 

I know of the three "commemorative" cars that Jim Loose imported.  My understanding was that all three of those cars were shipped in white.  I have also heard that they were later cars.

This one shipped from the factory in Essex blue!

The original owner found the keys!  We bypassed the old gas and were able to start the car right up.  Amazing that it went so smoothly after sitting for over 20 years.  The condition is amazing!!

• Like 1

You'll be wanting a new cambelt before you try that again!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 1 month later...

Barrie.

Can you send me the list...I'm not much of a forum user so how does one 'PM' someone.

I have been 'Slowly' restoring all the front end with parts from SJ. The exchange rate floats that much between the Oz dollar and the UK pound that I can sometimes buy parts cheaper here in Australia from SJ in the UK than you can in the UK all because I don't have to pay VAT! and the pound has become so weak. However with the end of the Australian mining boom the pound has started to strengthen against the Oz dollar :( 

I have replace the 'early' style ARB bushes last week and will now replace the trunnions and bushes up front as well.

I find that working on a Lotus is really quite easy..I guess because they were built by hand they can be pulled apart by hand. I love the fact that the manuals and parts lists for these cars is so informative.

The essex is much easier to work on than my BMW and much much easier than the Aston. (I'm a mech engineer BTW so cars are my thing) The wife is pushing me to sell the car again as baby has arrived! I love the car to pieces and have been driving it quite a bit, finding little faults and fixing them, (Lessons learnt) don't restore the car you actually want to keep as your wife will have you sell it the minute you finished doing all the work! (I should have started the Aston first  as much as I love it it really isn't a drivers car)

Anyway let me know how I should PM you and I will.

Just watching Kimi grab third in the Singapore GP.

James

Mob 0409663821

• 2 months later...

Hey all, first time I've viewed this site after thinking I could see some pics and comments and reminisce about my childhood......

My father used to own Essex number 100 (the Thatcher car) until he sold it privately when I was about 15 some 25 years ago, it was the stuff that boyhood dreams are made of and I was the envy of the school when he used to pick me up in it (on dry days only!).

We lived in East Anglia at the time and the car was a regular visitor to various Lotus gatherings and the factory 'open days' on occasions, there used to be a monthly Sunday blast around the roads of Norfolk which many Lotus owners used to attend usually meeting up at the Nelson hotel in Norwich then heading off in convoy............does anyone else remember this?

I seem to remember that the car was slightly different to the other Essex's on here, it had colour coded bumpers and wheel centres as opposed to the black items in most of the pics on here.

I would love to find out where the car has been since then......it had a private reg on when sold by the old man (VFN 662) if this helps?

I might be able to dig out some (very grainy) pics if anyone would be interseted?

Cheers, Shaun.

Yes please Shaun and welcome to TLF :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It was owned by a member on here who sold it c4 years ago having had it mechanically restored including a recommissioned interior. The wheels were refurbuished whilst the car was with Steve at SJ Sportcars.

I came very close to acquiring it back then but went for Essex No.11 instead. Steve said I was mad given its mechanical condition but I'm happy that I made the right decision. 

As I understand it it is still on the road - owned by a chap who is a Lotus Drivers Club member.

I have some pics of the car if you're interested from c4 years ago

Or you could look at it on Lotus Esprit World - there are qiuite a few pics of it there

Edited by Bazza 907

Welcome Shaun .Would love to see some pictures.Have you seen the photo of the car.With a traffic warden looming .i think with Mark Thatcher looking on ...Might be wrong.Cool car................Mike

This one Mike...

MarkThatcher_Essex.jpg

Evora NA

Afternoon guys, thanks for the comments.....I will endeavour to find the pics as clearly some people are actually interested!

I'm still a bit stumped by the fact that it was different to the other Essex models (blue bumpers, rims etc.), would this have been an aftermarket job by a previous owner, can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers, Shaun.

As it was the car given to Mark Thatcher in his ambassadorial role I'm sure it would have been a totally standard Essex. Only way to know for sure would be to contact Lotus who would tell you for a small fee. 

• 2 months later...

Just happened on this forum as I am thinking of buying another early Turbo after a very long break!

I used to own the "fake" white Essex. It had the Essex stripes and red full leather and dry sump but no roof console. I dont know if the previous owner fitted the decals or the factory. Reg number was WNG 37X. I wonder what happened to it? 

Incidentally I once saw that exact Panasonic roof console fitted in a taxi in Kuala Lumpur! I tried to get the driver to sell it to me but it turned out it was not his car, it was rented.

I bought the car from Fred Davies (sp?) who used to run a Lotus service agent based in Richmond called Automobile Workshop. As far as I know he bought it new. It must have been 1984 or 85. I had it for 8 years. I did well on it because I paid £11,000 for it and sold it for £8000 so that was a pretty low loss. I did a whole lot of work on it though.

I replaced the exhaust manifold and wastegate adaptor which were cracked and remember replacing the stupid bolts which held these by brass studs/nuts.

I redesigned the gear linkage to eliminate bungy rubber bushes which transformed it. Interesting to see on this forum people doing the same thing. 

I remember draining the gearbox oil once and a huge piece of gear tooth fell out with the oil. Now reading about pinion failures on here which was likely what was starting to happen. Its amazing how much difference the internet makes when owning this type of car. In those days it was very much a case of working in isolation.

Still have the Borroughs belt tension gauge and the special socket for the cam housing bolts so I just need another Esprit to use them on!

Towards the end of the time I owned it, the mirror parts of the Essex stripes were starting to badly corrode so I removed them and left only the red stripes.

Edited by Andyww
  • 3 weeks later...

If you want more info on the non number series 3 Essex pre production prototypes hava look at this thread. I did a lot of research back in the early 90's when I owned MPW71V (pre prod No 3). Pre prod No. 1 Was an Essex and a bond car 10858.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/59119-interesting-ad-mpw-71v/page-3

I hope this is of interest to you.

Regards Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Seems interest in the Essex Turbos is on the rise....and rightly so. Even though I'm a card carrying JPS owner I have a soft spot for the Essex, essentially a continuation of the F1 themed Esprits that started with the S2 Commemorative Editions.

I know there a lots of experts and owners on the forum and wondered if they would share their knowledge of where the cars are now.

Here's what I have deduced from scouring the many threads on here, please feel free to add or subtract to the data, registration is the original one.

RHD Production 23
003 HONG KONG
004 UK                                            GBO4W
005 UK                                            OPW665W
006 JAPAN                                      LPE417W
007 AUSTRALIA                              GBO7W
008 JAPAN
009 MALAYSIA                                WNG4X
010 UK
011 UK 
012 FRANCE                                   OPW702W
013 SWITZERLAND                         XKD50W          NOW BLACK