free hit
counters
New geared starter motor question - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
pbharcourt

New geared starter motor question

I have just bought a new geared starter motor but it only has one spade connector for the solenoid activation.

The old starter has two spade connectors one for solenoid activation and one goes to the coil.

Can i just connect the two wires together or do without the coil wire or do i send the starter back and say its not compatable?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Paul , The starter motor I got from SJ only had the one connector for the solenoid the other to feed the coil was located about 180 deg. from it with a screw terminal fitting ,it came with a wire on it but its not needed on an excel ,on yours its to feed a higher voltage than normal to the coil to compensate for voltage drop during cranking, best to phone them to be sure

Hope that's of some use   Ian

You can also bridge them onto the same connection.

It is fine to do this for a ballasted coil system.

You'll have a 6 volt coil fitted which, when the engine is running, is fed 6 volts via a ballast resistor but when cranking this is shorted out (via the wire from the solenoid) to give extra voltage for starting :o

Thank you gentlemen of the forum, i am a lot clearer on what it is for and have even spotted a terminal with a small screw in it.....:)