free hit
counters
Leather on upper dash. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi all. Just a quick one, it’s been a while since I stripped out the interior, I’m about to glue the leather onto the upper section of the dash,(the fixed setion with speakers)  I can’t remember if it had padding/foam under or was it just leather ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There is no padding there.

Cor

Be aware that the top section of leather that you mention is glued down UNDER the windscreen.   So to do the job right, the glass has to come out! :censored:

Yep, the glass was replaced a couple of years ago and it looks like the leather was cut away to install the screen, and this was what started the problem, it's shrunk and it pulled away from the top under the screen. The new covering will be glued up to the glass, I'm not taking it out !!!.

Don't forget the 5cm (or so) of black tape that sits at the bottom on the windscreen as it does mask some of the unsightly join of the leather where it meets the base of the windscreen.

Quite an easy job. Just make sure you mark where the holes are for the speakers and the vent may save you making holes in the wrong place

The screen has a black border so no problems with the edge showing, just going to be tricky laying it out with contact glue, I'll have to do it a bit at a time....

post-17533-0-57896500-1419283930.jpg

post-17533-0-20670100-1419283968.jpg

Not too hard to do. Just ensure you get the speaker profiles and you have a very sharp knife to trim it. I offered mine up a couple of times before i went for the final fitpost-3952-0-61071200-1419292521.jpgpost-3952-0-47225600-1419292580.jpg

Research your contact adhesive, it can quite hot under the screen.

Hi Stephen,

I did a blog on this issue around 3 years ago. My leather remains well stuck and looking good after 2 years on the road.

Dont cut the holes until its all stuck in!

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/blog/21/entry-41-screen-landing-re-trim-procedure/

Si

Job done, looks good, easier than I expected. Thanks for the input :-) Just need to cut out for the air vent, hope I don't cock it up now !!!

post-17533-0-89800600-1419325346.jpg

post-17533-0-49903300-1419325378.jpg

Looks great!

I dont think that hammer is going to help though......

Si

Yep, used some 3M contact glue, bloody expensive but sticks like shit to a blanket, the hammer was for the new door seal !!!!! :-)