free hit
counters
Bond car - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PhilW

Bond car

Hi, Just thought i would share the 3 pictures below.

I was given these by someone that worked with my Dad many years ago.  The car appeared at Pye Unicam in Cambridge on 23/04/82.  

I was at school then but i remember knowing it was there for a day.  I remember the only way of getting to see it was to cycle to my Dads work about 10 miles away.   I didn't and have regretted ever since.

The car in the Deezer collection has an HC bonnet these days and I remember noticing in the past when I have seen pictures one or two other things that seem to have changed.  It is supposed to have been white originally or was there two copper cars? Doubt we will ever know!!post-13610-0-47632000-1419268572.jpgpost-13610-0-32810500-1419268607.jpgpost-13610-0-02346000-1419268628.jpgpost-13610-0-49055400-1419268658.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice pics thanks for taking the time to share. Any chance of scanning them to get a nice crisp copy?

Sure. Will try today. Pm me your email and will send you the scanned files. Phil

Cool, we'll add them to the "Bond pics you hadn't seen before" thread or something!

It's nice to see some original shots of the car rather than the same old google results - be great to see them in their full glory!

Thanks for the great shots.

Those ski-holders are so perfect. I wish someone would make some today for both the old style body as well as the later types.  would certainly get a set asap!

Merry Christmas,

Jacques.

Love to see some old "new" pictures, there must be many more out there....

Different (later style) bonnet on that last shot. I've a feeling there was more than one Bronze Turbo claiming to be the Bond car from For Your Eyes Only.

Can't get enough pictures of them all the same!

:thumbup:

Jonny

Yes my first post points out the bonnet and I agree with you. Would not be at all surprised if there were two cars. Saying that though the car has four studs so suggests no later than 1983. The later bonnet as far as I know came about on HC cars which were about 1986 onwards. Also has the wrong skis which is a shame.

I am certainly not 100% convinced. I suppose there is a chance it is like Triggers brush. He's had that 15 years and only had 5 new handles and 6 new heads. Same brush though!

I saw the FYEO car at Hethel in '95/'96 just as Proton were coming in. That was when the factory still had retained their own set of museum car for what was hoped to be their own collection to be displayed at some point. In fact I'm sure it was mentioned Proton were going to build something for them all to be shown in before it all changed and they all got sold off!

The cars were all 'stored' away in a quiet corner of the factory. Seem to recall the Turbo looked a little neglected even then and there were several cracks and knocks around the bumpers and Ski clips...........  

Any pictures?

That last pic is the the car's current home in the Dezer collection in USA and taken within the last year probably, explaining the new bonnet.

The first ones are period shots

Kimbers confirmed it was one of Lotus' never ending supply of caretaker M.D.s that sanctioned the sell-off of the collection, not Proton. If you ever meet Chris Knight in person, be sure to knee him in the groin for me....

Never heard of him but just found him on Linkedin. Only honor was some service award with IBM.

We could present him with "The most short sighted fool" award

Don't expect that would make LinkedIn though. Will get the right knee ready just in case

Imagine the museum they could have had at Hethel... doesn't bare thinking about.

The same pictures again but have been enhanced so are a bit clearer.

post-13610-0-71156100-1433966487.jpg

post-13610-0-97555700-1433966541.jpg

post-13610-0-12397900-1433966643.jpg