free hit
counters
Upping the power? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Breeze

Upping the power?

Hi All.

I've been a long term Lotus driver, starting with my first, a series 3 Lotus 7 when i was 17 years old! ( very many years ago ! ). I then worked my way through a couple of Elans, a couple of Europas, a Sunbeam Lotus and Elise's. For the last 9 years I've had an S1 which after various adventures became a Honda Sc CC, converted by Sinclares / Essex Autosport some 7 years ago. The car has been excellent and pretty much trouble free - much more reliable than when it was in K series mode. I'm now thinking of changing to an Evora - age catches up with us all!. the question is wether to buy a low milage 2013/14 Evora S or hang on until the new model comes out. One of the things that interests me though is the power. Coming from my current car that has around 450 bhp /tonne, and I hugely enjoy, the Evora S could do with a bit more poke. I've read here that some members, TBH for example, have gone for the Komotec upgrade. So, how good is it, does it work well, does heat management become a serious issue without a charge cooler ( I live in Italy ), does the fuel consumption drop drastically and the CO2 go through the roof??? I'd like to hear from some of you who have gone down this route. Thanks in advance.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You live in italy ? Where ? Im in milan every two months ... you sound like a chap id like to have Aperitivo with to talk cars lol

Guessing your on a mob/tablet Diego, but on a PC the location is listed to the left of everyone's posts! 

I started witb the Komotec Stage 1 with 390 hp in 2012, about 40.000 km ago. Stage 3 was installed in march 2014 and has done 15.000 Km. I do a lot of very high speed Autobahn trip, so the engine has seen quite some stres. So far no tuning related issues other than that one of the O2-sensors failed recently (possibly due to the high exhaust temperatures). Never had any thermal issues, not even on our trips in southern France. Consumption is up about 1L/100km. 

None of the tuning measures really add any stress to the engine and Lotus is going to the same level next year (an they probably won't open the engine either). 

Thanks for the replies. Diego. I live near Viareggio in Tuscany, have done for a good few years now. If you're ever down this way give me a shout, I'm never known to give up an opertunity for an apertivo!

Thomas. That's really helpful, thanks. I was interested to know if you ran with a charge cooler or a methanol injection system to keep the temperatures down. I guess though that the engine at 430bhp still isn't really that highly stressed. Thanks for your input, it's good food for thought! Cheers!

see you in spring dude ;) 

actually we should just do a TLF jaunt down to yours via a few tracks lol 

None of the tuning measures really add any stress to the engine.

You've taken the engine from 345bhp to 430bhp, how will that not add a fair degree of additional stress to the engine?? :huh:

You've taken the engine from 345bhp to 430bhp, how will that not add a fair degree of additional stress to the engine?? :huh:

With respect to what it can handle. Its still a ridiculously low hp/liter displacement figure for a performance car.