free hit
counters
Trapped chicken - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
alzmoore

Trapped chicken

My 1989 Turbo SE project now runs reasonable smoothly although it still idles too fast.  ( Can't take it on the road to take it above 20 mph, as it still has no brakes).

However, as it warms up it develops a noise towards the back of the engine that sounds like I have a deranged chicken trapped in there somewhere.  (I suppose at this time of year, it could be a turkey...?).

I cant track down the location and have tried listening with screwdriver against my ear.  Any ideas..?

Alan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Does it do it with the clutch out? Try it with the clutch out and in gear,too...that'll stop the gearbox internals rotating. If you still get the demented chicken, it won't be the gearbox. It could still be the pilot bearing in the back of the crankshaft...or the clutch release bearing ( if it's that, you might get different noises as you operate the clutch). Otherwise.....there is a sprayshield at the back of the crank which can rattle about in certain circumstances. Finally, you can get exhaust manifold leaks which sound exactly like a duff little end....

Sure it's not an asthmatic duck noise? If so, that's the vacuum pump on the way out and would explain the high idle too iirc.

Thanks. Can check clutch yet as no cables, but release bearing and vac pump both new.

I will check out exhaust gaskets (new also) as I may not have got them tight enough