Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 60 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Relieved to hear that the gearbox is now safely with the gearbox overhaul man, and didn't cause any problems for my friend who delivered it in the boot of his new Lexus!

Back on track, I removed the clutch and flywheel to reveal the real seal carrier. Can't see precisely where it's been leaking from, but it looks like the sealant I put on the carrier didn't take to the engine block. Also, the rear lip of the seal looks like it's been chafed somehow, although the forward, inner lip is perfect. I checked to see if it was making contact with the flywheel, but the measurement disproved it. There's no discernable groove on the crankshaft hub, all looks good there, too. At the moment, I think the cause of the leak is more likely to be oil weeping past the carrier/block joint, but if the sealant didn't adhere to the block, there's a possibility of oil leaking past where the lipseal fits into the carrier too.

I'll check up on the sealants I have in stock, install another lipseal, and see what happens when the gearbox is back in and the car is running. I also have to figure out some kind of framework to support the engine as I want to lift the car up and down on the lift so I can do other work rather than leaving it supported on a trolley jack.

Photo 19-11-2017, 11 31 28.jpg

Photo 19-11-2017, 11 51 04.jpg

Margate Exotics.

14 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Big ratchet strap under the engine between the two chassis members - that should let the engine rest ok

Yes, I had considered that, but I'm concerned that the chassis tubes aren't meant to support load in that direction. I was thinking more of a simple piece of steelwork that bolts to the engine block in about four places, and then extends to rest on the gearbox mounts. I should really get my arse into gear and have a damn good look at it.

Margate Exotics.

The load when stationary really is quite low. After all it's not a heavy engine and most of the weight is supported by the 2 engine mounts. So a strap should be fine, quick and easy. ;)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

No  Problem Ian,  as Barry said a piece of flat plate steel ..  that is what i have used countless times for years.  I have an old short tyre lever circa 35mm wide x 5mm thick x 450mm long ..  Ideally the ends would be better stepped up 25mm with a hook effect to go over the rails. This would allow the donkey stays flat,  mine is straight and does the job with the back kinked up a tad..  Never got round to making a custom one because what i have works fine... I also have tape wrapped around the areas that sit on the rails so not to damage them, not that it would .. but.. just have.   No worry on loading issues, the cantilever weight is well below any strain point..  maybe you could make a fine example of a stepped version.  A very useful bit of kit.   

• Like 2

Maybe it would be safer to remove the engine too! :devil:

(seriously I would tend to agree that a flat plate should be probably be OK too but it's easy to say that from here, actually I would probably consider making a proper mount too :D)

• Gold FFM

Surely a norfuk country boy should know that the strongest element known to man is bailers twine. It (along with insulation tape of course) are the only materials needed to undertake any task. However  health and safety requires that users of bailers twine must have the correct cub/scout badge for the tieing of knots.:construction:

• Haha 2

Much obliged for the advice, gents.

Apart from Steve, who is busy reassembling his V8 using bailing-twine, while the rest of us are using the Lotus-approved material - known as gaffa tape (P/N A910E5498F)

Margate Exotics.

I took this vid of @Sparky a couple of weeks ago. He's as close to sexual ecstasy as he's ever been before, the excitement being because it's been 7,000 miles since we did the lower link pin job, and that kind lower arm movement is apparently unheard of five minutes later.

No, I don't understand what makes him tick either, but there you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjtocu97v710agt/Video 14-11-2017%2C 13 56 58.mov?dl=0

• Haha 2

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I believe a couple of Scotsmen might be far more deserving...

• Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.