Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 63 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
17 minutes ago, Giniw said:

Still available or it's just that you were lucky to find a NOS?

Mine may be leaking a bit somewhere since the pump goes on very often (like every couple of brake pedal use). What would be a normal rate?

Yes, it’s an NOS. The brake master cylinder is still available, but I think the servo is NLA as a Lotus part. It may be available BUT listed as fitted by another car manufacturer, though.

I think time the Lotus service notes give a figure of the Delco pump running times, best have a look at them.

Oh, and this just arrived -

7843C076-201C-4F01-8B9C-86480720C56F.jpeg

Margate Exotics.

21 hours ago, sailorbob said:

Have you driven a M100 Elan? :getmecoat:

No, but do tell.........

21 hours ago, Giniw said:

@sailorbob > :D

Have you refurbished and bled correctly your brakes? :P Never had any problem ever since and the pedal feel is good (with EBC yellow stuff)

When I fitted the new 6-piston front calipers, I bled the brake system until I no longer had any air, which took a total of 3 litres of brake fluid. It's still a shit pedal.

Margate Exotics.

Back on the tailgate canopy, I found why it was loose  in the first place. Whoever originally assembled the thing had been over-enthusiastic with the Crestomer (or whatever bonding agent they were using), and so much had squashed out from the seam around the left and right rear stud holes inside the tailgate, there was no way to get a washer over the stud before a nut could go on. I may have sworn when I discovered this, but there you go. The RHS wasn't quite as bad, as the thread on the stud was much longer (yeah, different sized stud on one side, who'd have thought). The only way I had to remove the large excess of bonding on the LHS was to cut an access hole, and get in there with a Dremel. I shall have to patch the hole, which pisses me off, but it won't be noticeable by the time I've finished.

Fitting the canopy back on, I found that I needed to fit additional rubber washers on the offending studs between the tailgate/canopy in order that it didn't chafe. Maybe that's why the parts manual says 20 washers for 8 studs - they were hedging their bets depending on whether it was Harry, Arthur, or Benny that moulded the bits, and whether they'd had a few ciders the night before.

The next job is to lift up the tailgate, and shake it to extract God knows how many M5 washers, nyloc nuts and other bits I dropped inside before I can put the plastic window surround back on again.

Photo 21-12-2017, 16 13 04.jpg

Margate Exotics.

Finally been allowed out, and managed to cobble together a brace for the engine to sit on while the gearbox is out. Bit of angle iron, with another couple of bits of herring gull shit-welded onto the ends, some rubber insertion stuck on the surfaces to cushion the sump and chassis members, and it works a treat. I can now raise or lower the scissor lift, or move it in and out of the garage.

Chuffed.

Photo 27-12-2017, 14 34 00.jpg

Meanwhile, by picking it up, shaking it and thumping it, I've managed to extract half a tonne of old shite that's been rattling around in the tailgate presumably from when it the car was first built. Rusty washers (flat, and spring variety), God know how many lumps of old GRP resin bonding, and two large bits of rotten steel that must have been 3" x 1" which necessitated yet another hole to be drilled in order to remove them. Given the amount of rubbish, either some bits are going to fall off while I'm driving along, or someone was having a laugh at the factory. I also decided to replace the screws holding on the tailgate louvres, as they looked in poor condition. It's fair to say that was a mistake, but as I've done one, I suppose I'd better man-up, and do the remaining one, too.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
On 03/12/2017 at 22:10, swindon_alan said:

Barry's nightmare is buying another Esprit that doesn't actually need any work doing to it...

Oooop's he's done it again. No Red, No Blue, but a nice Yellow one. Typical Lotus glutton. Ahh, one day maybe.  :stuart:

• Haha 2

• Gold FFM

My spider senses tell me that seal is slightly skew, and will leak enough to necessitate engine removal and bearing shells next winter.

Well, that's what Ian's hoping.

• Haha 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

I hope he slathered that seal with shed loads of oil before whacking it on.

never ever do them dry - itll burn and damage the seal in the first 5 mins

Only here once

52 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

I hope he slathered that seal with shed loads of oil before whacking it on.

never ever do them dry - itll burn and damage the seal in the first 5 mins

Wouldn’t be at all surprised it it leaks again. It’s not the first time I’ve been known as an oil magnet.

It’s getting to the point that I think I prefer working on it to driving it. Or maybe it just seems that way. Actually I find it quite therapeutic, if expensive, as a hobby. Still, someone will get a good car and all that.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, swindon_alan said:

Ian's next winter project will be to pop a completely rebuilt from scratch 918 in. I know this.

I'm sure he's been saving up for one.....note one bussmans holiday to florida keys....one large suitcase full of business cards....timed to coincide with the worst hurricane in history to hit a maritime state.

17 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Finally been allowed out, and managed to cobble together a brace for the engine to sit on while the gearbox is out. Bit of angle iron, with another couple of bits of herring gull shit-welded onto the ends, some rubber insertion stuck on the surfaces to cushion the sump and chassis members, and it works a treat. I can now raise or lower the scissor lift, or move it in and out of the garage.

Chuffed.

Photo 27-12-2017, 14 34 00.jpg

Meanwhile, by picking it up, shaking it and thumping it, I've managed to extract half a tonne of old shite that's been rattling around in the tailgate presumably from when it the car was first built. Rusty washers (flat, and spring variety), God know how many lumps of old GRP resin bonding, and two large bits of rotten steel that must have been 3" x 1" which necessitated yet another hole to be drilled in order to remove them. Given the amount of rubbish, either some bits are going to fall off while I'm driving along, or someone was having a laugh at the factory. I also decided to replace the screws holding on the tailgate louvres, as they looked in poor condition. It's fair to say that was a mistake, but as I've done one, I suppose I'd better man-up, and do the remaining one, too.

Looks good, but are the bolts of the sealhousing not supposed to be "buttonhead" bolts in order to avoid clearing issues with the flywheel?

Rear Crank Seal Housing Bolts.jpg

Esprit Freak