Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 64 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Here's my solution to the engine support issue. Inspired by a tool made by Stan, a former Lotus/Lambo tech. Adjustable up and down, it makes transaxle installation much easier. There is a large pad on a swivel on the other end of the centre threaded adjuster that supports the sump.

IMG_6691a.jpg

• Like 1

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

• 1 month later...

Having replaced the hateful rear crank seal yesterday, I started on the clutch job, with Shan holding the pry bar to lock the flywheel. I’ve blagged an old input shaft to use as the alignment tool from Chris Cole, which means Sparky can now have his one back (cheers, mate!). After 5,000 miles, the clutch is still in excellent condition, with no evidence of chatter, or slipping. This is the PNM uprated S4 unit with the flywheel redrilled to accept the S4 pressure plate.

There’s various bits needing to be bolted onto the gearbox and the release fork fitted, then we’ll see if we can get it in the car without dropping it.

4DA88A9B-291A-4A0A-AB67-D97DE55A8827.jpeg

EE1E8FDB-2B64-4319-B747-959130DD414B.jpeg

ED292DE1-A096-469B-9CCF-1AE515AE92BC.jpeg

6FF66FB8-4C71-4800-B1C2-9CD2296FE307.jpeg

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

1 minute ago, Barrykearley said:

Feckin ell - ain’t you got that back in yet ??

Has yours got a cable speedo drive ??? Can’t find mine so hoping it’s off the ecu??

Not all of us are blessed with your astonishing talents for doing jobs in half the time!

No speedo drive on the S4s, there’s a speed sensor on one of the rear hubs (RH I think).

• Thanks 1

Margate Exotics.

32 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

No speedo drive on the S4s, there’s a speed sensor on one of the rear hubs (RH I think).

Sort of Ian, the rear right ABS sensor is tapped off to the ECM which drives the speedo, same as the V8.

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

I definitely have two separate sensors on my car. I thought one was ABS, the other a speed sensor. Maybe the V8’s are different?

3FF09DCB-6203-4872-9C31-9CC6CA764105.jpeg

Anyway, gearbox insertion was postponed due to broken roll pins, and no spares, so I’ve got to order some. 

Margate Exotics.

Apologies Ian, you are absolutely right about the VSS. On the S4s it drives the speedo directly as there in no provision on the Delco ECM. The V8 ECM does however, hence the VSS being deleted and the ABS tap off.

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

I definitely have two separate sensors on my car. I thought one was ABS, the other a speed sensor. Maybe the V8’s are different?

3FF09DCB-6203-4872-9C31-9CC6CA764105.jpeg

Anyway, gearbox insertion was postponed due to broken roll pins, and no spares, so I’ve got to order some. 

And that sensor even on cable driven cars definitely affects and adjusts the fueling.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Pshaw.  Get in there, straddle her, arms underneath and give it one big heave.  Always works for me.

• Haha 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.