free hit
counters
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 21 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Ian's S4s refurb

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Forget what I said. I just wanted to explain what I did and why. Never mind, I didn't want to start a discussion about brakes or anything like that.  No, I don't have any emperical data analysis from a lab. I regret that I ever started by asking about pads in the first place. Sorry I interrupted and described my personal experiences and the reason behind it. Anyway, I am sure your brake setup will be great.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Gold FFM

Brakes are like tyres and women.

you gotta try a few different types and settle on one that suits you

last time I made brakes smoke - it was when I was lent and Alfa 164 by a mate - now i understand the you've got to drive an Alfa 

Only here once

That's good luck, apparently! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

OMG those wheels. That colour......

I'm sure you've done a bang up job with everything. Now drive the living hell out of it!

Wait a second! Where's the binnacle cover?!

Edited by Vanya

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

He keeps that off because the gauges fall out on acceleration.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Looking forward to some interesting conversation, Dave.

As for the binnacle from hell.........There were several gauges needing repairs, and I intend to check all the lights whilst it's off. Sadly, I damaged the walnut veneer during removal, and although I was planning to refurb the interior anyway, I hadn't planned on doing it until next year. Hey-Ho, more money.

I can say that after the brief drive this morning, the front suspension appears to work fine, no pulling to the left now the top wishbones are the right way round since whoever had the car before me clearly didn't know what the hell he was doing with them., and fitted them arse about face. Even with all new bushes, and the tracking not set, it runs straight, which is a good sign.

The brake pedal definitely feels different than before. It has a kind of soft bit of travel at first, then hardens up very quickly, but progressively. Previously, it was awful, just rock solid, with no give in it at all, like standing on a brick. I'm unsure as to why that was as yet, but I can't really comment on the new set-up until the tracking is done, and I can get out on an open road.

Margate Exotics.

It sounds like you've got your Delco-Morraine system working properly. Brake feel is always going to be shite with it, but it's definitely quite soft getting progressively harder as you push, very unlike a regular vacuum servo... 

Also it just struck me how much better the Futuras look without the center caps. 

• Gold FFM

I haven't messed around with the braking system as yet, so I've no idea whether the system pressure is correct. The pump behaved exactly as the service notes said it should time-wise, and cuts in and out as it should. I reckon the accumulator is still working fine, but I'll be getting around to doing some system checks in due course, I will probably try a new switch and accumulator at that time. If the system doesn't satisfy me, I'll be ripping it out, and installing a servo system.

Amongst other things, I have to put the centre caps back on this morning. Are you sure you prefer them off? It doesn't look as good to me.

2016-05-01 12.26.14.jpg

Margate Exotics.

Its your car Ian! Do as you wish. I believe the Sport 300 never had center caps. Ergo, I prefer no center caps :D 

It just struck me - because whenever I've ogled the S4s I've always felt something was "off" with the wheels, I used to think it was just because they were 1" bigger than the rims on the 300, but now I realize it's the centercaps. The remove a bit of aggression when they're in place. 

• Gold FFM

Right...............'banana' binnacle removal and replacement.

For those who haven't yet encountered it, I'd consider it to be the trickiest job I've had to do on the Esprit so far. The issue is that there's a very high risk of damaging electrics, lamps, gauges and the very expansive walnut veneer when it's being removed or replaced, as I found to my cost.

I also wonder if, as the binnacle is GRP and laid-up by hand, there's an element of luck as to whether you get a think one, or a thin one. Mine could stop a Magnum bullet, and has very little give in it at all, and the leather on it is thick.

So without further ado, here's the trick:-

It comes off anti-clockwise, and goes on clockwise. The right hand side of it needs to be carefully wheedled around between the electrics and the A-pillar trim, on or off. Also, I would be extra careful you don't lever it against the windscreen, or you could find yourself with a large bill for a new one.

Finally, if anyone needs a hand to remove or replace theirs, then don't call me as I'll be unavailable.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Don't get me started about binnacles breaking bloody windscreens.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

It's a real bitch getting the later dash off as well !!

you have to undo the screws

place them somewhere you won't loose them

then comes the tricky but - lift it upwards with a slight tweaking movement

sit back - drink beer - and thank your lucky stars you never damaged the windscreen :rofl:

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Having noticed water around the right hand headlamp pod, I became concerned that the drain was blocked. Despite having rodded them out only 18 months ago, and only covered a few hundred miles since, I found one full of water. No idea what was in the drain, but the new main beam unit lens was cloudy with condensation. Thankfully the wife's hairdryer cleared ithe lens, and I cleared the blockage with coat hanger wire and a flexible pick-up tool.

So don't forget to check those drains!

Margate Exotics.