free hit
counters
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 64 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Having just read one of my Christmas pressies from the wife, I'd say there was more chance of me going into space than fitting a V8 into an Esprit.................or anything, come to think of it.

Photo 28-12-2017, 08 52 21.jpg

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
17 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Finally been allowed out, and managed to cobble together a brace for the engine to sit on while the gearbox is out. Bit of angle iron, with another couple of bits of herring gull shit-welded onto the ends, some rubber insertion stuck on the surfaces to cushion the sump and chassis members, and it works a treat. I can now raise or lower the scissor lift, or move it in and out of the garage.

Chuffed.

Photo 27-12-2017, 14 34 00.jpg

Meanwhile, by picking it up, shaking it and thumping it, I've managed to extract half a tonne of old shite that's been rattling around in the tailgate presumably from when it the car was first built. Rusty washers (flat, and spring variety), God know how many lumps of old GRP resin bonding, and two large bits of rotten steel that must have been 3" x 1" which necessitated yet another hole to be drilled in order to remove them. Given the amount of rubbish, either some bits are going to fall off while I'm driving along, or someone was having a laugh at the factory. I also decided to replace the screws holding on the tailgate louvres, as they looked in poor condition. It's fair to say that was a mistake, but as I've done one, I suppose I'd better man-up, and do the remaining one, too.

Looks good, but are the bolts of the sealhousing not supposed to be "buttonhead" bolts in order to avoid clearing issues with the flywheel?

Rear Crank Seal Housing Bolts.jpg

Esprit Freak

Here's my solution to the engine support issue. Inspired by a tool made by Stan, a former Lotus/Lambo tech. Adjustable up and down, it makes transaxle installation much easier. There is a large pad on a swivel on the other end of the centre threaded adjuster that supports the sump.

IMG_6691a.jpg

• Like 1

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Swearing because oils leaking out of the crank seal ?

• Haha 1

Only here once

No, not until the first time I run the engine up again, which is what will inevitably happen with my track record on the subject.

Margate Exotics.

Having replaced the hateful rear crank seal yesterday, I started on the clutch job, with Shan holding the pry bar to lock the flywheel. I’ve blagged an old input shaft to use as the alignment tool from Chris Cole, which means Sparky can now have his one back (cheers, mate!). After 5,000 miles, the clutch is still in excellent condition, with no evidence of chatter, or slipping. This is the PNM uprated S4 unit with the flywheel redrilled to accept the S4 pressure plate.

There’s various bits needing to be bolted onto the gearbox and the release fork fitted, then we’ll see if we can get it in the car without dropping it.

4DA88A9B-291A-4A0A-AB67-D97DE55A8827.jpeg

EE1E8FDB-2B64-4319-B747-959130DD414B.jpeg

ED292DE1-A096-469B-9CCF-1AE515AE92BC.jpeg

6FF66FB8-4C71-4800-B1C2-9CD2296FE307.jpeg

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Feckin ell - ain’t you got that back in yet ??

Has yours got a cable speedo drive ??? Can’t find mine so hoping it’s off the ecu??

Only here once

1 minute ago, Barrykearley said:

Feckin ell - ain’t you got that back in yet ??

Has yours got a cable speedo drive ??? Can’t find mine so hoping it’s off the ecu??

Not all of us are blessed with your astonishing talents for doing jobs in half the time!

No speedo drive on the S4s, there’s a speed sensor on one of the rear hubs (RH I think).

• Thanks 1

Margate Exotics.

You’ve had all morning 

Only here once

32 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

No speedo drive on the S4s, there’s a speed sensor on one of the rear hubs (RH I think).

Sort of Ian, the rear right ABS sensor is tapped off to the ECM which drives the speedo, same as the V8.

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

I definitely have two separate sensors on my car. I thought one was ABS, the other a speed sensor. Maybe the V8’s are different?

3FF09DCB-6203-4872-9C31-9CC6CA764105.jpeg

Anyway, gearbox insertion was postponed due to broken roll pins, and no spares, so I’ve got to order some. 

Margate Exotics.

The wife was helping by torquing up the gearbox brackets for me earlier, couldn’t wish for anything better!

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Apologies Ian, you are absolutely right about the VSS. On the S4s it drives the speedo directly as there in no provision on the Delco ECM. The V8 ECM does however, hence the VSS being deleted and the ABS tap off.

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

4 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

I definitely have two separate sensors on my car. I thought one was ABS, the other a speed sensor. Maybe the V8’s are different?

3FF09DCB-6203-4872-9C31-9CC6CA764105.jpeg

Anyway, gearbox insertion was postponed due to broken roll pins, and no spares, so I’ve got to order some. 

And that sensor even on cable driven cars definitely affects and adjusts the fueling.

Only here once

Alignment, FFS.

Given up, gone indoors, got the gin out. Job for tomorrow. Or Barry.

BF0B29D1-B531-41E8-B6F5-B5D735FD19AA.jpeg

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

And that's with an input shaft?  Get on with it, FFS.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

12 minutes ago, Sparky said:

And that's with an input shaft?  Get on with it, FFS.

And with the wife getting down and dirty, too.  But to be fair, I am still suffering from the after effects of man-flu.

Margate Exotics.

Pshaw.  Get in there, straddle her, arms underneath and give it one big heave.  Always works for me.

• Haha 2

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.