free hit
counters
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 74 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, tomcattom said:

How are the LEDs shaping up?

They lined up OK, I’ll be at the Classic & Chips meeting Wednesday night, so should be able to test them then.

  • Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

How do those do for long distance? Most of the LED stuff I've seen has great fill and brightness in the foreground, but lose intensity for main beam throw.  I'm well beyond rural, with black bears and moose going bump in the night, so the main beams are my focus.  I'd love to convert, but would need to best  the 100 watt halogen bulbs I'm running now before I did.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snowrx said:

How do those do for long distance? Most of the LED stuff I've seen has great fill and brightness in the foreground, but lose intensity for main beam throw.  I'm well beyond rural, with black bears and moose going bump in the night, so the main beams are my focus.  I'd love to convert, but would need to best  the 100 watt halogen bulbs I'm running now before I did.

 

Not sure what else I can say Thomas, except what I said earlier. Hook up the four headlamps for main beam, and it’s simply astonishing. I wouldn’t say that if I didn’t believe it. I drive a brand new Ford, and the lights are better than that.

Oh, and don’t go into those woods on foot, I have it on good authority that bears shit in them.

  • Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent some time in my favourite place yesterday, underneath the Esprit. Earlier, I'd found one of the dampers leaking, so decided to order a new pair. Looking at the date codes, the originals had been fitted a long time ago, maybe as long as 17 years, so they'd done well. Aside from the odd extension arrangement at the top of the damper rod, it was one of the easiest jobs I've done on the car, which made a nice change. Subsequent drive proved the new units made for a more controlled damping, and the knocking noise that I was hearing when driving over bumps has disappeared. Result.

IMG_4339.jpg

IMG_4341.jpg

  • Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are they Gaz shocks or something else with a similar colour scheme?
 

This something that will no doubt need doing in mine in the fullness of time, if not already!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, tomcattom said:

Are they Gaz shocks or something else with a similar colour scheme?
 

This something that will no doubt need doing in mine in the fullness of time, if not already!

 

Gaz dampers. A relatively easy job, and not expensive, either.

32 minutes ago, fjmuurling said:

Was it a straight swap? Original springs or...............?

Yes, straight swop, using the original springs.


Margate Exotics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the winter maintenance programme has started turning into Trigger’s broom already.

I thought I’d kick off with a seemingly simple task, replacing a tacho bulb. I imagined I could get at it by releasing the binnacle cover, and pushing it up enough to get to the bulb holder. Forgetting I’m not as limber as I once was, nor as slim, I gave up trying to get into the Lotus position with the driver’s seat in, and took it out. After the usual wrestle with the binnacle cover, I managed to raise it up far enough to get my hand in, and pulled the bulb holder out. Sadly, both wires to it were broken, so I ended up doing the binnacle cover shuffle, and soldering the wires back up in situ. What a bastard job.

I then noticed the convoluted air ducting to the binnacle was cracked, at least on one side, so that’s the next job.


Margate Exotics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't that the pipe from the fuel filter which had the loop in it? The loop was there in case of an accident to stop the fuel pipe being pulled out as the engine moved if you were hit (or hit) something hard enough. Without the loop, if the pipe is pulled off you'll have a spray of very high pressure fuel on a very hot engine and manifold/turbo. 

  • Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bibs said:

Isn't that the pipe from the fuel filter which had the loop in it? The loop was there in case of an accident to stop the fuel pipe being pulled out as the engine moved if you were hit (or hit) something hard enough. Without the loop, if the pipe is pulled off you'll have a spray of very high pressure fuel on a very hot engine and manifold/turbo. 

Mine is also like Ian's new pipe, no loop ever since I've owned the car. I think at some point the pipe on my car got damaged and the original hasn't been available for some time to replace it, so your only option now is to make one up. Personally if the engine is getting tugged away from the baulk-head to allow the loop to straighten out, I wouldn't want to be in the car at that point! 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The loop in the black nylon pipe is there to accommodate vibration and normal engine movement. If it didn’t have that, it would break. There is of course the inertia switch in case of accidents. Plus, as Owen said, the originals are NLA, and certainly PNM was less than complimentary about them when I inquired. I think the phrase was ‘ cheap shit’.


Margate Exotics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to recall Brian having said it was there to pass the requirement for the car to be inverted in an accident but not rupture the fuel lines, which I think was part of the Federal US regs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

The loop in the black nylon pipe is there to accommodate vibration and normal engine movement. If it didn’t have that, it would break. There is of course the inertia switch in case of accidents. Plus, as Owen said, the originals are NLA, and certainly PNM was less than complimentary about them when I inquired. I think the phrase was ‘ cheap shit’.

The inertia switch would only shut off the pump, not release the pressure in the hose which is what Bibs was talking about. The loop was standard fitment on the S4s as seen here in my '95 S4s. 😀

 

090902072605-esp9_orig.jpg


Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar standard on all chargecooled Esprits.

  • Like 1

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the exact same problem with one of mine and made a similar fix. Citroen quality...

The casting 'turrets' are still available from a couple of sources for about £20 I seem to recall from my investigations at the time. No doubt TVR and the 2 remaining Citroen CX owners have similar problems...


Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, eeyoreish said:

Had the exact same problem with one of mine and made a similar fix. Citroen quality...

The casting 'turrets' are still available from a couple of sources for about £20 I seem to recall from my investigations at the time. No doubt TVR and the 2 remaining Citroen CX owners have similar problems...


I found the turrets are still available for TVR’s, but not sure which model.


Margate Exotics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done Ian.

So is the spring's job to make a "clicl" as the mirror fold into position and retain it there?

And if it isn't in place, would the mirror then just dangle around?

Kind regards,

Jacques


Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The turrets are deliberately made brittle. Would you rather the turret break or get hole torn in the door skin when someone bashes your mirror of the car.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jacques said:

Well done Ian.

So is the spring's job to make a "clicl" as the mirror fold into position and retain it there?

And if it isn't in place, would the mirror then just dangle around?

Kind regards,

Jacques

Yes, I think that’s correct. Without the spring, it’s just some internal friction that stops it turning. There are three positions on the turret, I picked the one that suited me best, and the electric motors do the adjusting.

  • Like 2

Margate Exotics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I broke my mirror a few years ago, I got lucky and found a cheap complete one (minus the electrical adjustment) from a guy who breaks French cars. Already sold on the turret. We should be grateful a lot of CXs were built, so some still remain to be stripped for parts.

Filip


I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...