free hit
counters
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 79 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Received a message from Connaught this morning to say that the head needs new guides, both inlet and exhaust, but all the valves are reusable. It will need a skim on the combustion and exhaust port faces. The valve springs were found to be out of spec, so it will need a new set. They've polished the crankshaft, it's within spec, so I can fit standard bearings. Once the first parts order arrives, I'll take the remainder of the rotating assembly to them for balancing.

Back at Margate Exotics, the oil suction strainer adhesive succumbed to heat from the blow torch and the gauze is now soaking in Gunk overnight. I need to make sure it's scrupulously clean before I assemble it, and if I'm not happy I'll order a new one and modify it to secure the lid.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We finished off the wiring for the new heater solenoid, and a big thanks to @swindon_alan for his tracking skills in locating a suitable on/off switch. A wrap of insulating tape, was sufficient to pac

Hoisted the engine up, flywheel and clutch bolted on. The usual problems with lining up, but I finally got the gearbox mated to the engine, and lowered into position. The wife directed the pre and pos

Right, the winter 2017 refurb thread is now open for business. First up, gearbox removal. Despite having taken good care, the new rear crank seal I fitted started to leak. In fact it leaked more

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

At last some there’s some sense prevailing.

For nearly a decade Team Lotus fettled tweaked and assisted Ford with the further development of the DFV, It's hardly surprising that when tasked to design and build a small lightweight and powerful V8 of their own, Lotus engineers used the knowledge and DNA obtained as usual from F1.

Thankfully, the oil strainer gauze has come up clean enough to pass the wife's inspection after a good deal of attention, so I can refit it to the pick up pipe, and secure the lid. This is good as it means I don't have to buy a new one. The pistons measured up within specification, so are reusable, yet another bonus. The cash savings of both these has prompted me to order an LSD for the gearbox to be fitted while it's being stripped and resealed.

No progress has been made for a couple of days on red wrinkle paint removal, however. She really does need to get a move on.

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

As can be seen on another thread, putting the charge cooler in the oven to harden the paint off turned out to be less popular than I thought. Relations are almost back to normal now, but I'll have to figure out another paint-curing method.

I'm now at the stage where I'm waiting for bits to arrive. Main bearing shells are OOS, which means I can't start building even if I had the rest of the stuff. Vernier sprockets, cam tensioner are also OOS. The gearbox parts are apparently somewhere in the delivery pipeline.

I should be able to pick the alloy parts up from the cleaners this afternoon, so it's not all bad news, I'll have lots of shiny bits to sit and look at.

Margate Exotics.

• 2 weeks later...

Oil pump assembly ready to go, thanks to Dave for advice on a couple of the finer points. No movement on the outstanding parts front, so I’m on to cleaning up what I’ve got, which I’d have to do anyway. I’ve decided to leave spraying the red wrinkle finish on the alloy bits until the weather warms up a few degrees in the hope of getting a decent finish.

BE1A7C78-8F81-4E63-AFA9-3B49546DA704.jpeg

85CFF604-2957-46DC-B6BF-2CD2FC694C5D.jpeg

1C54B897-C36C-4AD6-A4EF-74CCB1D89A9B.jpeg

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Will Shan be doing the covers?

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

You really know how to treat a woman.

She's like a SOCO; she'd find DNA.

Have you found the right paint? The original looks lightly orange-ish to me?

(the cleaned parts look very nice indeed!)

Edited by Giniw

It's VHT red wrinkle plus.

Now the wife has cleaned the engine bay so I don't get dirty, I took the opportunity to fit a new power steering pump. Easy job with no engine in the way, a bit different from when it's in situ.

• Thanks 1

Margate Exotics.

Outstanding!  You live and learn.

The Loctite 572 datasheet says to use localised heat (to about 250 dec C) for disassembly and removal of the cured sealant can be done by a 'combination of soaking in Loctite solvent and mechanical abrasion such as a wire brush'.

I wouldn't want to scrub the liner bores with a wire brush.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Finally, I tried some of the Frosts Strop Gel paint remover

Good to know it didn't do any harm to the aluminium alloy, thanks!

Is the remaining Loctite material that hard to remove? Its surprising the liners can be pulled without difficulties?

Edited by Giniw