free hit
counters
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 8 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Looks like you're on target for next Sunday :thumbsup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We finished off the wiring for the new heater solenoid, and a big thanks to @swindon_alan for his tracking skills in locating a suitable on/off switch. A wrap of insulating tape, was sufficient to pac

Hoisted the engine up, flywheel and clutch bolted on. The usual problems with lining up, but I finally got the gearbox mated to the engine, and lowered into position. The wife directed the pre and pos

Started putting back the snake’s wedding that is an S4s engine loom. I can’t help but think there’s a simpler solution, not that I’m about to rip it all out and start again. Trying to run the wiring w

Posted Images

Maybe for an engine start, but not a run. And I've got to get the geo done before I can drive it.

Know anyone in Kent that has all the right shims and knows what they're doing? I did try Lipscombs, but they have to order shims in for the job, so it was going to be about a week-long affair.

Margate Exotics.

Maidstone sports cars I seem to remember offering it as a service.  They are a bit of a nightmare pricing wise, sort of make it up as they go along so tread carefully.  Or do the factory still do it ( obviously not in Kent though).

Ian, this has been so motivating. I'm getting there albeit at a slower pace. You have some great gear!

Thank you, Glyn.

I know how difficult it can be to get motivated when the task ahead appears monumental, and I've certainly had a mountain to climb. I wouldn't have bought the Esprit without investing in the gear to maintain it myself as I don't really trust garages to do things properly. Or at least how I like things to be done, anyway.

I'm chasing reliability not performance, though. I want to be able to drive it around secure in the knowledge that I might make it home again. I couldn't care less if the car has only has 300bhp, if the thing is unreliable, it doesn't matter how much power it has.

Maidstone sports cars I seem to remember offering it as a service.  They are a bit of a nightmare pricing wise, sort of make it up as they go along so tread carefully.  Or do the factory still do it ( obviously not in Kent though).

Cheers, Malcom. I shall give them a call.

Margate Exotics.

Back on Track know their way around the Esprit and are well known for setting geo's well. Might be worth a trip to Guildford?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Back on Track know their way around the Esprit and are well known for setting geo's well. Might be worth a trip to Guildford?

Yes, that would be ok. I don't want go too far, so I don't bugger the tyres up beforehand.

Margate Exotics.

No problem if you have the right size spanners. Considering the ballache I've had all afternoon with the PAS pump belt saga, still unfinished, they were an absolute doddle of a job.

I'm not entirely happy with the Mocal connections, though. They're a bit crappy. Time will tell if they leak or come loose, but I tightened them as much as I dared.

Margate Exotics.

Fitted my pas belt this afternoon. I had to fit the belt round the pulley first and then refit the pulley.

What is your issue?

Just re looked at your pics and the pumps not fitted. Are you going to tell me it is fitted once the engine is in situ?

Yes, when I lifted the engine out I left the pump behind. I did this because it seemed easier, as the pipes looked difficult to disconnect. Putting the pump back on was a reasonable job, but I too had to remove the pulley to get the belt on. Getting the pulley back on again took absolutely ages, and made me wonder if either the belt size is incorrect, or the pulley is too large. There's very little adjustment needed, if any, to get the belt tensioned. It could do with a slightly longer belt, which I might just investigate.

Margate Exotics.

I've decided to run the current PAS belt as is, but seriously feel that it needs a longer belt on it, maybe another 15mm. This is reasonably tight with nothing on the adjuster -

2015-05-03%2017.43.45_zpsrtxwksa2.jpg

Anyway, more photos from yesterday, gearbox/exhaust frame and translator on, connecting up still to do.

2015-05-04%2015.51.15_zps0o4rnwo6.jpg

2015-05-04%2016.16.05_zpskwg5h5mr.jpg

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

You're my hero.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Set up the translator this afternoon. This was a bit of a pain, and to be honest I won't know if I've managed to get it right until I can drive the car. I did have to relieve the translator steel shaft a little because I bought heavy duty rod ends. When it took the thing to pieces, I remember wondering how on earth I could actually select any gears at all, never mind the right ones. As usual, it's had a complete overhaul, so fingers crossed it works.

image.jpg1_zps6ovqowrh.jpg

Margate Exotics.

More progress, but as expected, slower than I'd hoped because I'm renewing so much as I'm going along. I decided to mount the charge cooler pump on the rear crossmember, and the exhaust system is all fitted. One of the biggest pains has been the header tank, because access for measuring the new pipes is very difficult, as it mounts to the boot floor, which then obscures everything I needed to see.

image.jpg6_zpsffiybrey.jpg

image.jpg5_zps9mddpumt.jpg

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Bit scruffy, but it'll do.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Truthfully, mate, verrrry nice!  Look forward to seeing it outside my manor soon...

The translator adjustment thing is always a pain - mostly because the perfect setup can boil down to absolutely tiny adjustments to the threaded rod. Once you've got it right, put a dot of threadlock on the nuts....don't have all your work undone like I did with the damn thing working loose.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8