free hit
counters
Lotus reliability and distances - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
dave excell

Lotus reliability and distances

Reading the various chat about the Clarkson Argentina road trip its seems to me nobody drives any distance in there Lotuses due to reliability issues. I have covered a couple of long distance trips through Europe in my Esprit V8 over the years and no problems with reliability. Both trips longer than the Argentina trip by at least 1,000 miles. admittedly not on unsurfaced roads and bog land. I have this year run down to the south of France and Italy in the Excel covering over 2,000 miles. again no problems.

I was wondering does any one else use there Lotus for daily commuting or long distance touring or am I the odd one out.? Both the 2/2.2 and the V8 are totally reliable if maintained properly.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My 82 Turbo gets a several thiusand mile European jaunt each year, which has involved floods and cart tracks....as you say, look after them and they look after you. When mine has gone wrong, it has done so at exactly the right time to prevent me getting done for speeding!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Drove down to Le Mans last year for the Classic (with trips to Nantes and various other places whilst in France so did about 1600 miles in 4 days) in a 100k + miles 300bhp '88 Esprit. Car never missed a beat and engine has never been rebuilt. It has done the Le Mans trip on numerous occasions now and is also used regularly even in bad weather in the UK. They are reliable cars if looked after properly. As with any car, if you skimp on servicing / use cheap poor quality aftermarket parts and let people who don't really know what they are doing look after them, then they won't be as reliable.

Well I have 18000 miles on my Exige S V6 and 60000 miles on the Esprit V8 and yes reliable cars they are. Have taken the Esprit 3 times to France 3000 miles blast each time and only once had a problem alternator went all fixed in France just added to the fun. Have had the Evora over twice and the Elise never any problems.

Andrew

Bought my 1996 S1 Elise in July last year and drove to sw France a week later, never missed a beat on the 2 1/2 thousand mile trip. I cycle to work and have a Mini Clubvan for most local stuff though the Lotus gets a 20 mile run out to Stratford most weeks

• Like 1

I'm taking mine 3000 miles trip through the Alps next year

No sound proofing. No stereo. Might be tough going!

But fun! 

Took my Esprit to the 'Ring, a few times to Le Mans and many trips to elsewhere in France. Did the same in the Evoras and also did Frankfurt and back in 2 days in the S too. Done 1000 miles in 48 hours in an Exige Roadster earlier this year. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

I have covered over 50k miles total between a few Esprit S1s. My first one, 260H, was my primary transport one summer. I also took that car on several 1000+ mile trips, including Cleveland to Miami, and the USGP.

My blue S1, 454H, has been from Toledo, Ohio, to Orlando and back twice (round trip of over 2000 miles), and has been all over the Midwestern and mid-Atlantic states for special events.

I also have covered many times the 125 mile (250 round trip) distance between Cleveland and Toledo in various Esprit S1s. All of the above with a smile on my face and without fear.

While the early Esprits are among the most maintenance-intensive in terms of being regularly looked after, they are simple cars, a simple inspection will reveal any impending issues, and when everything is in good nick there are no surprises - just drive and enjoy! :)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Went to Spa in Belgium for the F1 a couple of years ago with a dodgy clutch in the Esprit. I knew it was dodgy before I set off but it still got me there and back, dodgy clutch or not!

Dodgy clutch has since been fixed and isn't dodgy anymore!

Meanwhile I have 63k km on my Evora S  and have to agree. Did two long trips to Southern France (3000-4000 km) and regular  trips to southern Germany (1500 km), not to mention the very many high speed Autobahn runs.

Though I have had quite  a few issues, only once did I need a tow truck (when an oil line broke).

Nonetheless, there is a difference to mass produced cars, with a Lotus you're often the first one to have an issue, meaning your dealer is pioneer. TBH it also takes longer to get the right spareparts. 

Lotus really should stand for Lots of Trills,  usually spectacular! 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

11569 miles in the Evora this year, expect at least the same next year (holiday in Italy scheduled). No problems so far. Did approx 37282 miles in our Opel Speedster during three years without any issues.

I used my Elan and my Plus 2 as my daily drivers in my younger days. I didn't do any particularly long trips in either but did take the Plus 2 up to Preston and back for a weekend without nah issues but, when I took it to Brands Hatch, a rear wheel bearing broke up although it got me there and back. Mind you, it was a bit wobbly when I got home.

I used my S2 Esprit as my daily driver for a while with a 40-mile each way commute with no issues. Longest one-off was a trip to a British car meet about 90 miles from home.

I don't worry about the Elise breaking down. It just feels reliable.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I have had my Esprit S3 for 20 years. I keep it on the road year round. Its only let me down twice. Once with a failed fuel pump - the nice RAC man hit it with a bigger spanner than I did and it got me home. Once with a failed battery-  started by another nice RAC man and it got me home. Its on the original engine. 

They are no less reliable than anything else given equal treatment and the theme above confirms that. All older cars suffer small problems if they are not used and the most reliable cars are those in regular use.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

I think reliability goes hand-in-hand with careful, regular maintenance.

(Triumph Stag excluded.)

Margate Exotics.

I take reliability entirely for granted in the Exige V6 and would be utterly amazed if it ever let me down.

So far the '81 Turbo Esprit has completed every journey I've asked of it but I'm a bit more understanding with this one. It will always be maintained to the very highest standards, regardless of cost, so I'm hopeful that this will do the trick.

I put plenty of miles on my Turbo SE and the only issues I can remember were a snapped throttle cable and some immobiliser fault. The V8 GT never missed a beat once the liners were done under warranty.

Done a couple of 2500 mile trans euro trips and a Hampshire to Inverness and back in the S2. Sadly, children have put paid to more road trips for the time being. Done about 70,000 miles in my ownership.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/11560-from-slovenia-with-love/?hl=slovenia

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

It's question about maintenance and care, as all cars.

Bought my early V8 Esprit 2006 about 54000 km on clock. It has now about 99000 km. Includes three visit to UK. One clutch and transmission repair during years.

Evora has now 40000 km on clock, was 12000 when I bought it july 2013. It works like a dream.  :)

I agree that it's all about maintenance and care. I'd love to drive my cars more often but I'm time poor and greater priorities for my time.

Whilst I fully accept that the cars would benefit from being used more often I don't want to use them to drive into London each day and I prefer to keep them for special occasions as/when I get the opportunity.

There is a slight danger that threads like this become a little "mine's longer than yours" when to me it's about how much fun you have when you do use them rather than how often they're used.  :sofa:

• Like 1

I've done a 1200 mile trip home right after buying my 89 Esprit SE (Nashville to Denver)

A 2000 mile trip to a Lotus Owners Gathering in Lake Tahoe California and back to Denver.

A ~2000 mile trip to a Lotus Owners Gathering in St Louis Missouri and back to Denver.

A 500mile day in the Esprit around the mountains and back here in Colorado with the club.

The only issue that i had with the Lotus on those trips was the wiper ball joint broke, and I had a tire start to fall apart.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album