free hit
counters
Broke my DHLA45 top cover - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Coleman

Broke my DHLA45 top cover

One of the posts which supports the float pin on my DHLA45 carb has snapped off. I don't think I broke this but I'm wondering what the options are for repair/replacement?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I seem to recall Buddsy had the same issue when he rebuilt his carbs and he managed to repair it. I am sure he will be along to show you how, I am sure I saw it in his car rebuild thread somewhere....

It's a shame that something which breaks so easily is no longer available :(

I re-created a missing/broken crossgate bracket on a transaxle using this.   The results were first class and have proved completely durable in a pretty stressed application.   However,  I ended up using oxyacetlyne to get enough heat into the large casting to fuse - so somewhat defeated the object of a low temperature 'weld'!   (I see it more as aluminium brazing).

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/info-DURA01.html

However it claims it works with zinc/pot metal and die casting, so should be good for your application.  May be worth a go?  Alternatively I would have though a 2nd hand top cover shouldnt be too difficult to source. 

Edited by 910Esprit

I have a Lumiweld kit but I don't have the missing piece. I tried using it on a front side light and the sidelight just melted so I'm worried the cover may end up as a blob on the bench!

I haven't been able to find a second hand cover so far...

I make a small wiget out of aluminium and tig it on.

IMG_8254.jpg

IMG_8255.jpg

Then mill it up to the same profile. Drill it  and slot it. Clean it up and jobs a good un,

IMG_8305.jpg

IMG_8308.jpg

I think I done this for someone else here too.

Buddsy

• Like 2

I once broke one of those tabs off; I took it to a jeweler and had it laser welded back on.

Scott - That looks like the best option for mine as I can't find a replacement top cover anywhere. Can you PM me the cost and address to send it to please.

Tony - I don't have the missing bit. I think it was long gone before I got the car and these carbs hadn't been used for 25 years.

Paul, I saw you mentioned that.  I just thought I'd put it out there as an alternate to TIG, and for the sake of more information for future reference the next time this happens to someone.  :)

Very nice work there, Scott.....!

Very nice work there, Scott.....!

Agreed! For something that is never going to be seen, that is a fine bit of sculpting! :)

Yes it looks like a good solid repair. I'm a little paranoid about the float valve not seating properly and then leaking fuel out all over the distributor (for obvious reasons) so the last thing I would want to do is try and bodge it with a bit of wire!! These covers are very difficult to get hold of and it seems to be a weak spot in their design. Scott's repair is first class - very impressive :)

Tony - I see by your signature you've now added a 4th car to your stable. You need help hahaha

Edited by Paul Coleman

May I just remind everyone that the main reason these posts get broken is by trying to remove the pin in the wrong direction? The pins must be tapped through from the SOLID leg side...which is a bit contrary to what you might think, and I'll bet that's why they get broken. Anyone wanting to dismantle and work on Dell'Orto or Weber carburetters HAS to buy The Book..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Dellorto-Carburettors-Speedpro-Series/dp/1903706750

I have found some downloads out there in Cyberland too....but you're better off with something that you can put greasy fingerprints on....

• Like 1

I don't think they're easily repairable & it looks like they're currently discontinued :o

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/products.asp?CategoryID=1&PartsectionID=1

The turbo cover seems available...it's the same except for a small ridge around the gasket point to better seal for the turbo application...