free hit
counters
Lotus Esprit S1 Project Value. - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Jared_nomak

Lotus Esprit S1 Project Value.

What would you suggest the current value to sell a Lotus Esprit S1 would be, the car is not currently running think the engine has seizes, interiour is a little tired but ok and paint is also ok but could do with a full restoration. The S1 Steering wheel is missing and I think the petrol tanks need replacing too.

Any idea on a reasonable price would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ross

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hello Ross,

It would depend on a lot of things, including but not limited to how original the car is, how complete it is, what color combination it is, anything unique or interesting about it, where in the world it is located, any service history, owner history, and any new parts or recent service it has had.

Without knowing more about it (or seeing any pictures) I can tell you that I have seen project S1s in the U.S. sell for a low of $650 USD (which really was a fluke) to a high of $18,000 USD in the past year, with barn finds and basket cases being in the $5k to $12k USD range. I don't know how any of this translates to the rest of the world, as U.S. prices still lag behind the rest of the world; others here could probably answer better, but the impression I get is that for someone outside the U.S., the U.S. prices are a real bargain.

Appreciation for S1s is still growing, and a lot of project S1s have been or are being restored; when a project S1 turns up these days, how much it costs can vary greatly, and what it actually sells for comes down to the seller and buyer themselves.

I would say S1 and S2/2.2 are the hot cookies of the Esprit World at the moment so whatever state they are in I would be looking at marketing at as higher price as possible. It was not that long ago that most of these still left were basket cases and no-one gave two hoots for them. How times change...........

So it's RHD then? What is the chassis number? The earlier ones tend to be worth more i.e. centre ashtray, pod mirror, tartan interior.

The last one I saw on eBay needing full restoration went for about £10k.

Paul.

I would say list it on ebay. There is lots of interest there on projects and you will get what its worth.

Buddsy

By the sounds of it, I think this is a car that Ross is looking to buy for a fair price, rather than sell. 

So it's RHD then? What is the chassis number? The earlier ones tend to be worth more i.e. centre ashtray, pod mirror, tartan interior.

The last one I saw on eBay needing full restoration went for about £10k.

Paul.

Duly noted. Prices in the States still lagging behind . . .

The last one on eBay was a non runner I believe. If it has the green/tartan interior then it's an earlier car which tend to fetch a bit more. What is the chassis number?

Paul.

Selling: £10k upwards.

Buying: £3k and I'm doing you a favour.

Even a non running one. The car is red with green interior, off the road for over 10 years.

Ross

There was only ever 894 made. Quite a few went abroad. A couple of years ago everyone was after a S1 resto project. A few years before there were a few about now it seems quite rare for an un-restored S1 to come up for sale.

Buddsy

Main thing is to check that the S1 specific parts like wheels, hubs, gauges, s/wheel etc are all present and serviceable. If not, you'll spend big time and money trying to find them.

Good hunting.