free hit
counters
Laptop requirements - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
DaveS4s

Laptop requirements

I need to get a laptop so I can start using Freescan/Espritmon. What are the requirements for laptop systems Windows XP or 7 .  what speed, ram , hard drive. When I bought my Esprit it came with a cable set and a disc, USB to ALDL adapter Drivers. Thanks Dave

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Freescan doesn't need much, Espritmon a little more. I've run them both OK on an old 600 MHz IBM laptop running Win98 in the past.

I used to use a Windows 95 machine with a 486 and 24MB of ram for freescan...  That should tell you something, it worked fine. Then someone stole it, along with my daily driver and all my tools!

The insurance company bought me a Windows XP Pentium M laptop with 2GB of RAM (may have upgraded to 4GB later, can't remember), and I had to get a USB ALDL cable.  I still use that for Freescan.

Freescan's requirements are minimal.  Windows XP and earlier are best, but sounds like some people do get it running with Win 7.

Thanks to all , for the laptop info. I just had the winning bid for an Xp laptop on EBay. When it gets delivered I will be back with more questions. :unworthy: DaveS4s

Does this mean that as time goes by, and all the old laptops die, we won't be able to use Espritmon? Or are the latest models/versions of Windows able to be used?

I ask because I do have an old laptop which is currently missing it's harddrive, and had hoped to use that. But if I can't get it to work, I might have to invest in a new machine.

Ive got it working on a Windows 7 Thinkpad no problems...

But might be safest to visit your local rubbish tip and extract something older from there.

Travis, how on EARTH did you have it running on a 486? I have a Netbook running XP for the same and it barely copes. Although that might be a testament to what garbage those Intel Atom powered netbooks are/were (even the mouse pointer lags..)