free hit
counters
Alternator trouble? - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Alternator trouble?

Still no car, but was informed yesterday that Lotus have decided to pay for any repairs to my Evora 400. This is fantastic news as my year in general so far has been abit crap.
Will update this post again once I get it back with more info on what went wrong and had to be replaced.

I do now feel abit anxious on when I get it back, is there something else waiting to go wrong ... do I keep it ... do I sell it?
I love my Evora 400 and its the best Lotus I have owned (my 4th one), and although I sometimes think about selling as I don't get to use it too much, I end up going for a drive and continue to love it.

I assume there are no worthwhile aftermarket warranties to provide abit more cover?

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Tesla Model S - Midnight Silver | Renault Twizy - Brilliant Black ::..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well the good news is I will have the 80 mile drive back when its ready.

If I remember reading back right, yours has been ok with the refurbed one since getting it sorted?

• Like 1

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Tesla Model S - Midnight Silver | Renault Twizy - Brilliant Black ::..

2 hours ago, dalepearson said:

I assume there are no worthwhile aftermarket warranties to provide abit more cover?

I understand the AA ones are quite well thought of. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

10 minutes ago, Bibs said:

I understand the AA ones are quite well thought of. 

Cheers Bibs, I remember back in the say when I had my first Lotus Elise people liked them for HGF issues. I might look into it and see whats covered, cost, etc.
I think in general I shouldnt worry, as its a proven engine etc. Then get these issues and suddenly brain goes into panic mode :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Evora 400 back.

All is well ish ... I mean its working again and I have aircon, but if I turn off the aircon there is a serious rattle coming from the AC Compressor area (I am guessing its the AC Compressor Clutch rattling). Sent the garage a video, and guess another 200 mile round trip in my future and time off work. Frustrating but 1st world problems.

Will update for others benefit once all fully sorted.

13 minutes ago, Brendonian said:

I’m sorry to hear it’s not quite right. I’m sure it’ll get sorted, but it’s a pain having to take it back again. 

Indeed all will be resolved eventually, just frustrating taking time off work etc, but not world ending.

For those interested here is a little video.

I turn the aircon off 4 seconds in then you can hear the noise.

Just back from the dealers. As I suspected it was the AC Compressor clutch.

They said it had some swarf on it from fitting the new one (seems odd, but whatever). Said everything looks good and I can no confirm the sound has gone. YAY.

Now to hopefully enjoy it again as the good weather is back, just need to keep the AC on all the time to ensure never have these issues again :) didnt notice quite how noisey the AC compressor was before, takes the attention of the transmission noise I guess. Just sounds like got ALL the fans going from the outside even on low, lol.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2019 at 11:23, Brendonian said:

I'm glad it's sorted. Hope you can just enjoy the car now. Wish I had mine :(

Went for a nice drive out yesterday in the sun all seemed well and I enjoyed it :)

Whars happened to your Brendan?

• Gold FFM
59 minutes ago, dalepearson said:

Went for a nice drive out yesterday in the sun all seemed well and I enjoyed it :)

Whars happened to your Brendan?

My clutch failed. Looks like I’ll be waiting a few weeks for a new one 😢

1 minute ago, Brendonian said:

My clutch failed. Looks like I’ll be waiting a few weeks for a new one 😢

Ah man sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed for speedy and not to expensive recovery.

• Like 1