free hit
counters
Lead Replacement petrol no more. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roger 912

Lead Replacement petrol no more.

I have just found out that our 93 or is it 95 octane l.r.p. petrol is to be phased out this coming year.

Can my 84 Esprit Turbo run on unleaded petrol. I am sure this has been asked before, but I could not find the link.

I shall also have the same problem with my 89 Excel SE so any advise would be appreciated.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

All the 900 series engines were designed to run on unleaded

Indeed, they were. However, in the case of my '86 HCI, I have the first owner's original documentation that specifies his CIS Turbo Esprit, which was to be shipped to Brussels, was to be "modified" to run on leaded fuel.--whatever that entailed.

I have another original document that states his car was to be shipped back to Lotus to be Federalized for driving in the US. I have no idea exactly what all that meant, either (the paperwork doesn't specify, or I don't remember at the moment), but, at least for the car I have, it was apparently modified in some way for running on leaded fuel prior to delivery.

Perhaps all that entailed was eliminating the catalytic converter--which US regulations would clearly have called for--so perhaps the only difference between the "leaded" petrol version and unleaded (e.g. normal) is elimination of emissions controls, and thus, the South African car wouldn't really need any changes. 

Just a thought.

--Scott

--Scott