free hit
counters
Engine rebuilt 3000 miles ago - oil coming from tailpipe now Why? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
MikieP

Engine rebuilt 3000 miles ago - oil coming from tailpipe now Why?

Anyone give me insight as to why i see oil vapors coming from tail pipe and forming small drops on the garage floor? Engine completely rebuilt from scratch about 3000 miles ago and started noticing what I thought was water vapor but it turns out to be brown stuff. New everything, supposedly, by my crummy Treasured Motorcar Services that recently replaced my hand brake cables with new ones from JAE and let them be rubbed by the inside of my wheels through their housings, never tightened the negative battery terminal, charged me $60 to replace the Check Engine bulb (Binnacle was off and at home already) and other atrocities like the blow off valve coming off during my last run. Anyone give me some pointers, please? FYI, car idles rough on start up for couple of minutes...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all here on TLF. Sparky - come on over. 25k and my car is crap.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Are you sure it's oil and not just sooty exhaust condensation? That's pretty common...

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. hoping it is not oil but it is brown in color and sort of greasy between the fingers. How exactly would I tell?

If it is oil it must be coming from the turbo bearings, past the oil seal. :thumbdown:

supposedly a new turbo from the bum Jaime Goffaux. Paid $3K for it. told me it was from WC Engineering and Mr. Welch it was not from him.

no, not sure of what it is - just freaking out about the brown spots showing up on the garage floor and am thinking the rebuild was botched or they beat it to death before giving it back to me and messed up the rings, blew a gasket, or who knows what. just know that I should not be seeing and smelling what i am seeing and smelling coming from the exhaust- my 80k mile venza does not give off these smells and spots and I out of money on this car. Already have a charge back on the CC for work both done very shoddy, over billed or done badly and basically no where else to get things fixed but this shop and they are the ones that may have screwed it up to begin with.

Also, when I come to a stop, feels like brakes are not releasing and the car does not roll on an incline. I could on but I won't.

Mine used to leave brown spots on the garage floor from the exhaust. I think it's just soot and moisture rather than oil as Jim said.

How is the oil level, are you getting through any amount of significance? 

I always seem to be low - like the lower mark on the dip stick whenever i pull it out. And it smells. Next to another S4 I am putting out smoke and the S4 is not. Not dark nor lots of it, but there is some smoke.

Surely you'd be seeing plumes and plumes of blue smoke if you're really spitting out that much oil?

You would think so, but only about 2500 miles on rebuild, two oil changes and have had to add 2 qts to bring dip stick back up to full mid changes.... nothing on the ground, just smelly exhaust smoke but nothing like burners you see around town sometimes. so where in heck would it be going?

What exhaust do you have I know if there isn't enough back pressure at the exhaust end of the turbo the oil can pass the last seal causing puffs on start up and gear change when warm

Hi,

Alunox headers and some unknown turbo and the rest is Stock AFAIK. What I am getting is a smoke that forms droplets in the floor as the smoke apparently has droplets big enough to form up on the floor just outside the exhaust pipe exit.

• Like 1

Is it only on idle you notice it? Could it be unburned fuel? Does it smell rich or oily?

Buddsy

Do not really see a lot of smoke  or any for that matter during driving, but that really is not easily done, and no one  has driven behind me as yet to tell me if they see any. It does feel slightly greasy, and seems like oil, as it does not smell like gas. The thing that bothers me the most is that I top top the oil dip stick to top line, drive it some and next time I check it, it is at the low level mark, so something is going somewhere.

My SE spits on a cold start - after changing the exhaust (when it was brand new and clean) it turned out this was only water. As it got dirtier the sports of course got blacker and nastier. I've previously also been concerned about it, but its only during startup. Once warm there's nothing visible coming outta the exhaust.

My V8 does the same - driving it away on a cold start you see water exiting the tailpipes.

Like others have said if it was oil you'd be puffing blue smoke.

For the record how does the oil smell? I've always thought it smells of gasoline both on the Turbo SE and the V8....

dip stick does not smell of gas. the smoky stuff coming out stinks - not exactly oil nor gas, but not water vapor that I am use to coming from the toyota Venza. My concern is the low oil level light comes on on hard stops at times after say couple hundred to 500 miles and oil is at least a quartt low - low mark on the stick. Never had a car use so much oil and I can not see where it is going other than out the exhaust. should this thing use this much oil on a new engine i guess is my worry or is something quite wrong with the rebuild? And I do not remember noticing this early on after the rebuild.

As your oil level keeps dropping it is fairly conclusive that something must be wrong. What is the coolant like and are there any drops of oil under the engine or from the oil coolers. As others have said your exhaust doesnt prove anything - a significant release of oil will result in massive plumes of smoke.

I think a compression check first to see how the rings are performing before going any further, that should be reasonably easy, and if there's excessive crankcase pressure, you might see it chuffing out of the oil dipstick tube.

If you're losing that much oil, it has to be going somewhere!

That much oil is either coming out of the engine...from the sump through the oil seals or turbo lubrication system or oil pressure capillary tube...or being burnt in the engine. Burning that much oil would produce significant amouts of  blue smoke, I would have thought. If the rings were leaking, it would come out of the crankcase breather....if it was the valve guides, the oil would go into the engine and out of the exhaust. I agree that a compression check is a first investigation...and a leak-down check, too. Running the engine and simply peering at it and prodding at it whilst thinking helps to find these sort of problems. In your case, the people who have been working on the car sound like they shouldn't be allowed near a roller skate.

Im thinking maybe what John has said above about the breather. Did you have new rings fitted? Did you run in for a while? If so you may have been too gentle? Did you use synthetic oil from the start?

Buddsy

• Like 1

New rings from JAE were supposedly fitted though I can not say if done properly. Shop had car for quite some time - 6 months and they drove her pretty hard when i was in the car during quick proof of work done ride, twice. Breather? No oil under car, or on block that I can see though I can not get under her.all that well. No apparent oil coming out of dipstick tube. Will have to have wuff follow me during daylight to see if plumes coming from the exhaust pipe during driving. i had one episode of Saab 900 going through oil but it came out in big puffs during shifting etc. so have some idea what to look for there.

The car is currently in my garage at 2nd house (becoming primary residence as soon as possible this year) in another state (Delaware) out of the winter weather for now. i do not have a garage where I currently live. I tried to take it out for a quick warm up last weekend and the blow-off valve blew off its silicone hose mounting on the first acceleration down the street so I parked it back in the garage out of simple fear of driving it any further, brakes sort of locking up at stops, etc. As to me doing a compression check is not gonna happen (beyond current skill set, tools available and physical limitations) and finding a shop that will even touch the car seems to be impossible. Have written notes down and I will look at the points discussed above during my next visit to the other house and see what I can find. Time to sell it I suppose. Both shops used here stole (stainless gas tanks, etc), defrauded (fake parts, double billed parts and labor), over-billed for repairing bad previously billed work and lied about work done and just simply did bad work. Very much hating to see this car go down the tubes.

Thanks fellow Esprit lovers for your time and insights. Will report back after next visit to the away garage.

Have you challenged the garage(s) who did the work, and do you have irrefutable evidence to suggest you were stolen from/defrauded?

Also, any garage will be able to perform a simple compression test if you feel it's beyond your skill set.

Instead of panicking and throwing the 'time to sell up' comments, with very little effort you could have a good indication as to whether there is a problem.

Big glass of calm down juice, and start from the beginning :-)  

• Like 1

Yes, and currently have a $2,609 CC charge back in process for the latest billing from 2nd shop which rules out them ever doing further work on my car, no? There are probably many other over charges from 2nd Shop but never had reason to question them until now. First mechanic (Jamie Goffaux of now defunct Yesteryear Motors) called me up one Saturday morning when car was in his shop for a new turbo, injectors and S4s chip (WC Engineering kit I was told - completely false per WC Eng.), minor porting headwork to tell me the "good news" in that my car already had the alum (not stainless as entered above) gas tanks, only to find second shop telling me that I did not have same and I never took pics of them originally since I believed what I was being told by 1st mechanic and never being able to access car while in 1st mechanic's shop as he was never there working on my car which is why I moved it to 2nd shop later on (18 months of inactivity). Also, 1st mechanic had completely torn down block which was never ever discussed leaving me with pickup truck bed full of nothing but parts forcing me into this complete rebuild or complete abandonment of the car, by second shop (Treasured Motorcar Services) at huge unwanted, unrequested and certainly undesired expense as the car's compression numbers were 142,144,145 and 145 at that time. Horrible experience from beginning to present. Current estimate is $30k+ in shop costs spent to be where I am at. Calm down juice was past usefulness. Never mind the sleepless nights of despair being lied to continually by 1st mechanic about "working on the car" and loss of car for nearly two years. No shops i have queried will touch the car, "It's a Lotus and we will not work on them." is more common around here than I ever expected.

Need to pull the A/C compressor for resealing of the main shaft 2nd shop told me was leaking freon and two shops of 12 spoken to wanted nearly a grand to pull and replace it. That did not include the sealing. Sickening.

Drier line was left loose by 2nd shop during testing of the A/C system so it would never hold added freon. It goes on and on. Like they were just mucking things up so I would continue returning my Credit Card to them.