free hit
counters
Engine rebuilt 3000 miles ago - oil coming from tailpipe now Why? - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
MikieP

Engine rebuilt 3000 miles ago - oil coming from tailpipe now Why?

Would love to get over there Mike, as this one intrigues me.  Unfortunately still working on getting fit...

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sparky,

Very good to hear from you.Two replaced hips, one being botched has made me all too aware of fitness, or in my case, lack thereof. Add to that my almost complete lack of mechanical skills only adds to the furor emanating from my mind about all of this. The more I find out about what might be amiss only leads me to further despair.

I do appreciate the thought though. Perhaps someday it will resolve itself but only by burning her up, it seems. lol?

Big glass of calm down juice, and start from the beginning :-)  

I tend to agree. Sometimes us Lotus owners are so worried about possible faults we see them everywhere. 

Hopefully you just have a bit of an oil leak somewhere. Does the car drive well? If it does may be best just driving her.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Actually, when you can, why not indulge us with a video of the exhaust with the car running?

Back it up against a wall or sheet of cardboard and give the engine some revs.

Upload to YouTube and post the link here.

• Like 1

And a video cam from the back when you get your mate to follow you?

Know what you mean about feeling ripped off though..I was charged £3500 to replace a release bearing...in 1998... Though they do appear to have fitted a new clutch at the same time.

Decided to do everything myself from that point on though it's taken quite a bit longer than I hoped, hoping to be OTR this year :-)

OMG, I am not alone. Even worse in 1998 cash! Video of exhaust a great idea! Easy enough with phone cam. You tube will be a first for me so that may be a bit of a learning curve. Will be at house couple of days from now so will give it a go. No mates to follow available there. Just talked to a buddy here and says he can and will put car on lift and try to deal with locking caliper(s) when I get it back here in Maryland so may drive it back, if something else does not happen, when weather gets a bit less wet and cold and deal with that issue. Will try to have wuff follow and see if smoke comes out during drive as well. All great ideas and just having positive responses here  gives me some cheer and hope. Thanks to all so very much!

• Like 2

I tend to agree. Sometimes us Lotus owners are so worried about possible faults we see them everywhere. 

Forums like these are great but you have to remember that people only come on when they have a problem so we end up thinking the cars are crap when they're not.
  • Like 1

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Michael, garage workshops are generally rip off merchants on this side of the pond as well and as these cars require a certain know how those reasonably proficient with a spanner do despair when shoddy work has been carried out at great expense by mechanics. I feel very sorry for you in this situation but unless you are very lucky with your garage you cannot really own an Esprit without some knowledge of mechanics.

Your oil must be going somewhere so if you dont have any dripping out under the engine or oil cooler or pipework and it is not going into the coolant then it must be escaping out via the exhaust . It will be interesting to see how much smoke is coming out when you are followed on a drive.

Warranty with rebuilder?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I am on here quite often scanning all the Stevens car posts to learn about what to do, and what not to do with my SE. I am almost completely incapable of doing much of anything for it myself, save replacing fuses and adding oil and antifreeze due to physical limitations and a lack of knowledge which is why I am here. My issues are almost all due to shoddy, fraudulent and over billed workmanship from the only two shops I can / could find that would accept the car to work on. What little i do know about cars has raised my questions here and I am looking for guidance on what and how to proceed to keep from killing the engine and getting what I perceive as faults, remedied. I have never thought the cars were crap or i would certainly never bought in to one. I love how I feel when inside the cabin and driving it down the asphalt. Much akin to how I feel after sex. Ooops! What I have been surprised, nay shocked at, is the poor shop experiences I have encountered to date. Yes, it is back on the road though I am not sure for how long it will survive given the current issues with the brakes and oil losses.

I am heading out to the other house today to see what i can determine and film what I can to allay my own fears and hopefully receive further guidance. Or, to affirm my fears. Either way, to learn.

The 2nd shop told me they would not guarantee the parts as they were "from another shop". I did and still do expect them to warranty their workmanship however. No other choice was available to me at the time of transfer as the car had been in the hands of Goffaux for almost 18 months with no end in sight and no work being performed on it and having found that his misrepresentation of the WC Engineering Turbo Kit was indeed a complete $3K lie - he was apparently selling his McGovern Lotus Racing Team racing parts off his spares shelf instead for profit on my build. Not knowing what my issues are other than loose blow off valve, loose battery terminals, loose A/C lines, stolen aluminum gas tanks, bad brake cable replacements, locking up brakes, bad hand brake repair, etc. etc. etc. and now oil disappearing ...

I am trying like Hell to keep this car on the road, even though i am now pretty well stuck with no shop (2nd shop had a CC Charge Back against them of $2600 apparently go through due to their lack of response so they will probably shun me now)  or mechanic to work on it. So now I will see if I can follow the recommendations in this thread of pics of smoke, follow behind views, etc and submit them for further evaluation here before I yet again attack the 2nd shop for their possible workmanship failures. But the oil is leaving the block somehow and that is a critical failure to me of something. Cheers and thanks to all for support and suggestions to follow through on. Membership here is worth everything to me.

Does your new turbo have roller bearings? If so, was the oil restrictor changed? I was getting a lot of black spots coming out of my exhaust after my turbo was re-cored (roller bearing type). I didn't realise that you need a much smaller oil restrictor. Roller bearings need much less oil, and you'll blow the bearing seals with too much oil pressure.

I tried to have one made out of two fittings, but I got some terrible results, one which broke when I tried to tighten it up. In the end, I bought a ready-made one from Ramspott and Brandt http://www.ramspott-brandt.de/shop-english/index.htm19Euros plus postage.

Cheers and good luck!

Ian.

It is possibly homing in on the turbo, which would be a good explanation, although only one, for oil loss. Did you keep the original turbo and why did you replace it. Might it be refitted to the car??

I had a problem with my 82 turbo,when I changed the turbo oil supply flexy hose. I hadn't realised that the union where it fitted to the turbo incorporated a restrictor. I ended up going back to the turbocharger specifications and oil input flow requirements, then measuring how much I was actually flowing, and finding it was far too high. I calculated what size orifice would be needed to get the correct flow rate...and found that it was the same size as an identical turbo I had that had been fitted to a Mini. I incorporated this restrictor in the oil line and have had no problems since. In my case, application of right boot after much idling did give a cloud of smoke...but if you drove gently, this didn't happen. So maybe this hose is worth a look?

You may find this account of my efforts amusing....

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/1939-bridge-to-engine-room-make-more-smoke/?hl=%20bridge%20%20to%20%20engine%20%20room

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

First You Tube upload - this is my exhaust pipe output on cold (46F) startup this AM - hope it works. Posted it to be Public but in someone's Channel. Works for me here but... Also, as to a Restrictor alteration, a COMPLETE Uknown.

That spotting certainly looks a lot like the problem I was having with my turbo oil, but I'll let the experts comment on the smoke (and it's colour/density). Most of it may be condensation however, because it was a cold day.

having found that his misrepresentation of the WC Engineering Turbo Kit was indeed a complete $3K lie - he was apparently selling his McGovern Lotus Racing Team racing parts off his spares shelf instead for profit on my build.

So you have a "McGovern Lotus Racing Team" turbo or turbo kit fitted (not a WC Engineering kit)? Not knowing what type of turbo core has been fitted makes things a little more difficult to diagnose. If the core is new, it's unlikely to be smoking (unless it has the wrong oil restrictor). When I had my turbo re-cored with roller bearings, the mechanics put a new id plate on the turbo which would give a clue as to what was done. With "your" guys, I couldn't be sure of anything.

The restrictor I have is between the turbo and the oil feed line (top-most hose on the turbo). This may or may not be the only way to fit a restrictor, however. Anyway, with a few spanners, it's not difficult for even a backyard mechanic to take off the oil line and have a look. An external photo might not help us: A new turbo core may need an oil line adaptor (which might look like a restrictor, but isn't). Anyway, if the restrictor internal diameter is around 1mm, this is non-OEM, indicating that a roller bearing kit has been fitted. If the restrictor is much larger (1/4"?), we need to know what type of core has been fitted.

Roller bearing turbos take a relatively long time to spool down after you turn off the engine, so this might be a sign that you have roller bearings. I can hear the turbo spooling down on my SE certainly with the windows wound down (having said that, I have had the air intake trunking on the right hand side of the car shortened (common modification) and I drive in the right hand side seat )))

Anyway, I'll let the experts chime in here.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Qavion

That looks like normal condensation mixed with wet crud being blown out. I think we would need to see what happens with car up to normal operating temperature. It looks fairly normal in that clip.

Moley what did your restrictor look like? 

Buddsy

The Mini turbo oil supply fitting was a double ended male connector. One end took the flexy oil line, and the other screwed into the male thread on the turbo housing. Since the Lotus has a plate bolted on to the turbo which then carries the oil line input, I simply took a hacksaw to the Mini connector and cut off the threaded part that fitted into the turbo, and then screwed that into the turbo housing. I can't remember exactly how...I think the thing was a taper fit, so perhaps I slotted the cut end and screwed it in tight with a screwdriver. In any event, the i.d. fitted my sums and it's been in there ever since. No turbo problems and the beastie doesn't burn oil, either! That post was my first on the forum.....having been a looker for quite a while. Came to it via Lotus Esprit World, which has some very useful stuff!

On the original fit, before I swapped the flexy hose for a new Goodridge one, there was a 90 degree aluminium fitting in the end of the hose...this was a 90 degree curved length of aluminium tubing with a much smaller i.d. than the i.d. of the hose, thus acting as a restrictor. It was a fun thing to sort out what had happened.......(!)

Edited to add.....

Having looked at the video, that seems to be the sort of stuff that comes out of the exhaust when cold...due to the moisture that pools in the silencer and pipes. Every gallon of fuel burnt gives a gallon of water...and when you shut down, you get condensation as well...so that the carbon in the exhaust gets picked up by the water and blown out the back on starting.  Mine's always done it, since I bought her in 1988....don't think that you have anything to worry about there. If you are using oil, that's not it, imho.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Agree that the exhaust output in that video looks normal. Out of interest, can you check your coolant reservoir. The oil has got to be going somewhere (although my 10 pence is on one of the oil coolers or the under bonnet connections).

This is how much moisture comes out of an Esprit on startup when it's chilly...

post-1-0-03106800-1420565297.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Agreed.  Maybe a tiny bit of 'smoke', but that could be down to ambient temperature.  Looks like carbon-laden water to me.  But always difficult judging from a video.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Looks as if my 200 mile trip was worth it then? Pretty certain it is a roller bearing turbo but not 100% positive. No idea what is in it. None. Just like I am nearly certain Goffaux took my tranny guts and gave me some thing else when turning over the parts to the 2nd shop as it was most definitely not the tranny he showed to me on one of my visits where he pointed out that the LSD install had been completed. Pretty sure it was a spare from this racing "team" Goffaux thought he could make money off of by telling me it was from WC Engineering... Same with the RC Injectors and the ECU which did not ever work (from Goffaux) and had to be replaced most generously by John. I do know that I can get 1.25 bar peak (per the AEM boost gauge. Is that too much, should I be concerned? The proper WC chip, an S4s + 3% fueling, is in the car now AFAIK. If things were oozing out of coolers and things would I not see it on the floor after parking her? No drips so far.

Thank you for comparative pics - wow - much more "smoke" than I currently have, but should they leave brown spots on the floor as mine does? Also, mine seems to do it regardless of temperature when started up but seems not do it just before shutting down. I did not look at other liquids when there, but will do so on next visit. I am dumbfounded now about where the oil could be going. Will have a following driver next time as well to double check while on the road but saw nothing in the rear view this time.

I will give a more thorough looks next week under car and other points. At least the blow off valve remained in place during this drive! So that is one step forward. I bow down to this Forum and its members and wish to someday shake the hands of some of you at least. Being there during my fits of despair over these events means more than I can convey at this time.

I'm wondering what an exhaust gas analyser in the tail pipe would pick up?

When I saw these brown/black spots on my garage floor, I thought perhaps there was too much fuel going in, but when my trusty local garage mechanic put an exhaust gas analyser on the tail pipe, he said it was running relatively lean. My oil consumption was higher than it had been, too. It was then the forum pointed me towards oil been blown through the turbo seals of my newly re-cored turbo (because I hadn't realised the importance of a smaller oil restrictor on roller bearing type turbos).

Do you have an itemised bill of their service? I'm sure they would have added the restrictor to the list (if they were trying to squeeze you for money).

Hi Ian,

Nothing in the bills about a restrictor, but then again I am fairly certain they would not have a clue about even needing one for the ball bearing turbine on the car. Perhaps that is part of the problem as far as the brown spots go, but does not allay my fears about why I need to top up so much oil...