free hit
counters
Engine rebuilt 3000 miles ago - oil coming from tailpipe now Why? - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
MikieP

Engine rebuilt 3000 miles ago - oil coming from tailpipe now Why?

You need to check your coolant to see whether it has turned to Mayo. If it has then you know where your oil is going. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Cold! If it's hot you stand a good chance of having scalding water spraying all over you.

Hi, All,

Latest update is that I checked the coolant and it appears to have no oil or muddy look to it. I did not check the Charge Cooler as I could not seem to loosen the cap. Oil is currently at the top fill line but have not driven her more than about 20 miles over the past month so nothing more to add.. No drops on the cardboard underneath at all. After the last drive this past weekend, i have very little to no smoke exiting from the exhaust pipe. The blow off valve stayed on this time. Wilwood 4-pot brakes still grabbing on one or more wheels and not releasing at stops though so have to figure that one out as yet. Perhaps when temps go above 1C at some point. Much thanks to all and hope to figure all this out at some point. Happy New Year to everyone here.

Did you have any head work done ? I'd say it looks like oil control ring failing or oil passing a guide .it's weird it should smoke more as the engines hotter and burns it off rather than chucking it out the back .

Or turbo seal

Hi,

I paid the first mechanic (Jamie Goffaux) to have the head relieved, ported ? and polished and matched to the intake ports as he supposedly did for the race x180 he supported for a McGovern race team along with a complete WC turbo upgrade kit (turned out to be a fraud) so that the head would better support its properties. Another complete unknown as he has completely refused to provide the head work sub let billing to me so I could show the improvements to the Insurance company if necessary. 2nd shop. Treasured Motorcar Services) did the engine rebuild and who knows what their competence level is - I can say they could not even tighten the negative battery terminal and other simple things like handbrake cable replacement without destroying them, and many other simple goals. If I had the bucks I would ship it back to someone in the UK to do a complete checkup. Also, if giving me a test ride after the rebuild was any indication of their treatment of the fresh engine, they drove the shite out of it with me in the car, i.e. power shifting etc. Complete arses. Refuses to redo the hand brake cables they destroyed, et al. Getting a divorce would have been less painful to me.

Hi,

I paid the first mechanic (Jamie Goffaux) to have the head relieved, ported ? and polished and matched to the intake ports as he supposedly did for the race x180 he supported for a McGovern race team along with a complete WC turbo upgrade kit (turned out to be a fraud) so that the head would better support its properties. Another complete unknown as he has completely refused to provide the head work sub let billing to me so I could show the improvements to the Insurance company if necessary. 2nd shop. Treasured Motorcar Services) did the engine rebuild and who knows what their competence level is - I can say they could not even tighten the negative battery terminal and other simple things like handbrake cable replacement without destroying them, and many other simple goals. If I had the bucks I would ship it back to someone in the UK to do a complete checkup. Also, if giving me a test ride after the rebuild was any indication of their treatment of the fresh engine, they drove the shite out of it with me in the car, i.e. power shifting etc. Complete arses. Refuses to redo the hand brake cables they destroyed, et al. Getting a divorce would have been less painful to me.

Sounds like everything and everything is now suspect on your car.  My belief with an Esprit, and what I tell everyone that thinks they want one, you either better have and be willing to spend crazy money on it (like to ship it to competent and expensive mechanics), or learn to do all the work yourself.  Otherwise, an Esprit just not worth owning.

When I am too old or too busy to work on an Esprit, I won't own one.

Simply put, Yup! Assurances from both shops were simply worthless iterations from liars and cheats. Do I trust a third? Do i sound bitter?

Simply put, Yup! Assurances from both shops were simply worthless iterations from liars and cheats. Do I trust a third? Do i sound bitter?

I've been there too, so I know where you're coming from.

Just to confirm what others have already said, the smoke from your exhaust does not look like a problem, all my engines and I have had 3 in my car, the latest being a brand new Lotus engine from Garry Kemp here in the uk, all of them put out black spots, it's the carbon soot in the tail pipe mixed with condensation. It's normal.

Good luck and keep updating.

Hi Dave,

Much thanks for your added input helping me feel a bit better about the build. Started thinking along those lines after others comments, but, where in heck is the oil going in so short a period of driving her around is what concerns me. Never had a car go through so much oil in such a short period. I top it up and drive a couple hundred miles and when i check the stick, it is near or just below the low mark. Freaks me out completely. I see no smoke when driving and not a drop on the floor from anything source that I can see other than the A/C leak test green stuff from the compressor - need to get it out at some point and have someone reseal the main shaft before summer I guess. Am submitting rebuttal to the TMS Charge Card charge back rebuttal Tuesday, so here's hoping... Also, once that is complete, going to file a Better Business Bureau complaint as well. Meanwhile, I have scored wheels and cut outer sheating of both new Hand Brake cables. They simply will not stand behind their poor quality of workmanship at all. Everyone here is of course correct in that I need to be doing my own work. At least then I will bear the full fault of screwing it up. lol.

Just had a local club meeting  this past Thursday and one member told me he had just been charged $15K for what he thought should have been and 2 day job, so I am not alone. Really PO'ed but he has more funds apparently and also has nowhere else to take it either so is gritting his teeth as well. Without attorney here we have little recourse unlike UK, Denmark, etc.

I have selling off my old Ham Radio (aka Amateur) radio parts (tubes, capacitors, relays, etc.) and have garnered about $12K over the past three months so that is some solace...  Maybe some sort of  lift is in my future? Now if I could get my hips fixed so lifting 40 lbs does not bring me to tears.

Not to put you at risk, but three engines? Three! And I thought I liked my car more than life.

That is where things are at for now. 10F yesterday when I took her out for a drive and did not push her but ran OK. Trying to keep suspension limber and belts from setting. On a Ctek US 7002 charger now and in an unheated garage. Ugh. It is -10F there today using windchill. It will not look the best but I am hoping to make her a solid daily driver at some point. Appearance is one thing, but far more fun going around swirly roads than looking at her. Cheers and much thanks!

MikieP

To be fair I am on my third. The first in the car when I bought it suffered from liner slip ie oil in water -water in oil not a good sight. So I had it fully rebuilt new, rings, shells seals the lot, worked well for about 10,000 miles then when I decided to remove the engine to do some minor tasks, ie painting it and fitted a stainless header.......shock horror, sparky noticed the fly wheel moved about a bit and then......sh1 t, 8 mm end float, the crank had move so far the rods had started eating the block, a big mess.

So in when a new crated lotus engine from Garry Kemp, it's done about 7,000 miles, has another SS header from Alunox, and all seams well, fingers crossed.

Dave

Dave,

Wow. Starting to feel really unnerved now. Heard about Kemp engines AFTER my mess sprung up so too late to send a query. And then there is shipping to the US to fear as well. Sorry to hear your story. I certainly hope it turns out to be a good stable engine this time around for you. Starting to feel that if I get it back home after every drive I am lucky then? lol. Fingers crossed seems to be the standard for these then? I am hoping to complete my move to my new house this Spring, get a lift of some sort installed, and then dangle a huge carrot in front of Sparky. Seems as if that may be my only salvation other than contacting RS. And that would mean yet another year of driving gone. Been in shops 3./4 of ownership so far, never mind the funds and heartache. -8C here today so no warming up and driving her today.

Cheers for now.

MikieP

Chris,

I will keep that in mind when and if this block implodes. Runs really well IF you overlook all the other things which seem abnormal. Been too bloody cold to even want to crank her over these past two weeks, so maybe next week things will get above freezing here. Had some very good news from another Forum member so am actually starting to think about heating and cooling the garage and buying some sort of lift this Spring to maybe, MAYBE, pick up a wrench and some drivers and try my hand at some of the simpler needs on her. Also, news of yet another shop located in Virginia that appears to be competent and actually price friendly if failures continue haunting me. Will be150 miles away from the new house, but any port in a storm.

The primary issue I am going to face this Spring will be to get her past the Delaware state registration / inspection when I move there later on. Seriously wondering how that will work out. :)

MikieP

• Like 1

Good to read you're driving and enjoying the car!

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.