free hit
counters
TYRES 225 or 215/50 R15 Does it Matter? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
DaKa

TYRES 225 or 215/50 R15 Does it Matter?

Pricing up 215/50ZR15 for my 1986 Lotus Excel 2.2SE is limited in terms of manufacturer - basically Dunlop. 

A tyre supplier has suggested that I fit 225/50 R15 as there is more choice and cheaper.

The question is whether the standard wheels fitted on my car are safe with such slightly wider tyres?

Has anyone else fitted 225 width tyres to their standard wheels?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Imho that's not going to make a great deal of difference, there's only 10mm in it. I'm sure someone on here will advice you better than I can.

An engineer at the factory told me that +/- 10mm makes so little difference not to matter :)

• Like 1

Trouble is not so much the width but the height of the tyre, a 225/50/15 will have a slightly taller rolling radius than a 215/50/15 (the profile is a percentage of the width) so will knock the gearing and speedo out.

To keep the same rolling radius as a 215/50/15 youd need to go for a 225/45/15 but then ride quality may suffer as you'll have less side wall.

I have had 225 on the rear of my Excel and they simply looked awesome on the rim :) But as you know, the diff is a weak point of the car. So any more stress to it, is just a greater risk. And greater tires are the like. So I went to the Dunlops. The worst tire I driven in my whole life considering also the price/value you get.

At the end I have choosen the 205 Yokohama Adrenalin. And bingo. Just the opposite of the rubbish Dunlop, one of the best tires I have ever driven. It transformed the car to a Sportscar of today! It also doesn't look to narrow because of its design, costs almost the half but damn... It drives :)

The ride quality in general does also depend on the design of the sidewalls. There are tires around with the same width which are completely different in the behaviour. Some are soft, some are very stiff. Some could even be chosen in different likes...

Edited by Don.Hasi