free hit
counters
S2 Radiator removal - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
tonytransam

S2 Radiator removal

After fixing a weep from otter switch there is now a water drip from the front of the car, so assuming the worst the radiator needing to come out, what's the best way to pull it? Is there a thread?

Edited by Roger Moore

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

This is on a Stevens' but may be of help

I did it a year or so ago, its quite a simple job.

The rad is bolted into a fibreglass shroud with two shaped brackets either side of it.  You can do it the hardway (like I did) by removing the rad from the shroud and pulling it out the front, or you can just drop the shroud down with the rad fitted in it.

You will see the fixing bracket bolts when you look through the wheelarch, the bolts for the shroud itself are accessed from the front bay plus three under the car into the front chassis brace  You will need to remove the front spoiler and grille as well (I needed to anyway).

Have some pics - if you want me to post please let me know.

I did it a year or so ago, its quite a simple job.

The rad is bolted into a fibreglass shroud with two shaped brackets either side of it.  You can do it the hardway (like I did) by removing the rad from the shroud and pulling it out the front, or you can just drop the shroud down with the rad fitted in it.

You will see the fixing bracket bolts when you look through the wheelarch, the bolts for the shroud itself are accessed from the front bay plus three under the car into the front chassis brace  You will need to remove the front spoiler and grille as well (I needed to anyway).

Have some pics - if you want me to post please let me know.

Yes please I'm about to tackle this job tomorrow. How did you jack the car when you did this?

Here are photos as promised.  All show the rad fitted into the cowling just prior to refitting in the car (my toolbox is holding the front end up so its level as it would be once installed)...

This one shows the radiator from the rear:

post-5743-0-91498600-1421089510.jpg

This is a view from above, standing at the front looking down.  You can see the fixing points which you get to from the front area in front of the wheel arches:

post-5743-0-83092600-1421089712.jpg

Finally, viewed from the front:

post-5743-0-18849100-1421089911.jpg

Regarding jacking the car, the only area I know to be OK  and use is the front chassis box section (set further back than the radiator.  In order to get my jack under the car I have to roll it onto two pieces of wood to lift it high enough, but if you remove the front spoiler this solves the ground clearance problem.  I have made my own jig from wood with points for the jack and axle stands.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Sorry, the last photo is also from the rear (not front) but with the new fans fitted.

Thanks for that. Still haven't got round to it yet, the photos really help.