free hit
counters
Project - S1 re-trim - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Interesting! Stuck with the shade as already have the Nextel. I have a plastic one piece moulding for the gear lever and a metal piece screwed with rubber gaiter to the tunnel. Does this tray sit on top of the plastic moulding?attachicon.gifimage.jpgas shown in picture.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Your car is different to the early cars because... it's not an early car!!

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Test fitting all trim at the moment. As Paul pointed out there is a plate around the gearstick on the earlier cars. I have one piece and was intending to spray with Nextel. The gearstick green cloth surround I was intending to fix to this. What is different on the earlier cars I am not familiar with their gearstick setup - as you all know there are no pictures in the manual. Any pictures appreciated. Do I need the cover plate or will it look the same. Some Nextel painted cars seem to have one piece like mine. Thanks all.

On the early cars like Mr Bond's the rectangular plate around the gearstick was made of aluminium and was separate to the window switch surround. On yours it's all one piece and flat but on the early cars that aluminium piece had a raised bead running around the outside of it.

Not sure when it changed to what you have? Mine is 129G and that has the separate aluminium piece.

Judging by the time of your last post you must be lying awake nights worring about it ;)

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

They were changed to green for the filming, the tartan caused issues behind Sir Roger's bonce! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

yep, quite a few cars have been "Bondified" and re-trimmed with green headrests. Mind you, there were at least 2 "Bond cars"!

Could be wrong but the headrests there seem to be quite dark green compared to the rest of the interior which looks a bit washed out??

Early car tho......central ashtray.

Well here's the bombshell, there appears to have been several versions of the car with different coloured interiors! The stunt scenes appear to have the light Nextel. The closeup interiors had charcoal grey, looks more like Marcasite used in the S2 around the binnacle. Can anyone confirm this for sure? Here's the evidence.post-17315-0-64482100-1421867601.jpgpost-17315-0-81424300-1421867630.jpg

Also the exterior brightwork was blacked out to stop reflections when filming. The chrome around the windscreens and door handles to be specific.

For all the Bond fans - as the scenes change so does the car. When the car is used for still shots the window trim is blacked out with charcoal binnacle, In the high speed chase it silver again with Nextel in grey. Get a blue ray copy of the movie and a decent TV and all is revealed! The Lotus decal on the front moves to a new place when the car changes to a sub. Difficult to copy something that is different in every scene. In the close ups of the front of the car with the actors in the binacle is charcoal grey as above. Can't post the picture here as I don't know whether it would infringe copyright laws. the interior had the center ashtray, early vents and gear cover with edge bead. The exterior S1 with bits blacked out and as already pointed out no radio, and a white button on the top of the gear stick.

The other big difference the choke lever produces an oil slick, no doubt some cars can automatically produce an oil slick without using the choke lever!

post-17315-0-53647400-1422009461.jpganother picture of the bond car, clearly not the same car as the one used for close up shots the binnacles(picture above) are totally different.

When Nick Fulcher was alive and this subject came up he did say that he trimmed another car for the interior shots at Pinewood. That was probably just an empty body shell and may not have had the same interior exactly as they had to use a green screen backdrop to project the scenery on.

Paul.

Fabian - did you ever get details on the underfelt fitted to the S1 as per your first post in this topic ?  

I'm shortly going to be doing mine and need to know if there is any felt fitted underneath the carpet on the rear bulkhead (i.e. behind the seats)? My car had no evidence of any, but I see there is a listing in the parts manual (courtesy of RDent ) - unfortunately no pictures : 

http://rdent.com/manuals/esprit/seats_and_trim/vd.htm

No but did have a look at a car being retrimmed by Steve Fulcher, there was only carpet on the rear bulkhead and the original sound material. The felt was thinner over the tunnel and 1/2 inch I think on the floor. Held in place by the carpet clips no glue on floor. Please could you take some pictures when you do the felt trim.

Yep on my car there was only sound deadening material placed behind the passenger seat.  No felt

I've replaced mine with silent coat sound deadening material

WP_20140525_003_zps8ee08a26.jpg

here is what I did with the rear bulk head

WP_20140907_002_zpsuf69d0a3.jpg

Edited by vintaylor

Vin Taylor

Looks good, will be very quiet. Have you completed the rewire?

Still haven't got round to wiring .. I am setting a goal that by the end of the year the entire rolling chassis will be complete

Vin Taylor

I've replaced mine with silent coat sound deadening material

That stuff looks really good. I wonder if its safe to use to cover the inside of the engine cover ?

I found some 1/4" dense foam in the garage that I forgot I bought so will put that on the tunnel sides and will glue the carpet directly to the rear bulkhead sound deadening pads. Thanks guys !

That stuff looks really good. I wonder if its safe to use to cover the inside of the engine cover ?

I think Bob Fogle did that on his S1 without any overheating issues. If I'm remembering correctly that it was him, I'll take some photos next week when I'm up at his place.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

I used high temp foil material that can withstand temperatures up to 500degrees

here is the high temp material that I used

Vin Taylor

Need something that is heat resistant, reasonably priced and waterproof for inside of engine cowl and rear valance. Is this it?

I used high temp foil material that can withstand temperatures up to 500degrees

here is the high temp material that I used

That sounds like what Bob used. Heavy foil on underside facing the engine, peel-off sheets revealing adhesive on the other side mounting to the engine cover, and something flexible and about 3/4" thick and heavy/dense sandwiched in the middle. Not sure what the latter material is, but I'll take some photos and post them here on Tuesday.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S