free hit
counters
Project - S1 re-trim - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I bought the foil off ebay, cut to size and stuck on with high temperature glue..

this is what I used:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Turbo-Heat-Shield-Aluminised-Barrier-Mat-1m-x-500mm-New-/220666534587?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3360c01abb

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I daren't run it with an engine cover - otherwise how will I know when it's caught fire?

:getmecoat:

Paul.

Well here's the bombshell, there appears to have been several versions of the car with different coloured interiors! The stunt scenes appear to have the light Nextel. The closeup interiors had charcoal grey, looks more like Marcasite used in the S2 around the binnacle. Can anyone confirm this for sure? Here's the evidence.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I can refer to three specific original tartan S1s that, last I checked, still have remnants of a dark, finely fuzzy "flocking" on the binnacle and other areas that does not look like the Nextel that people have been using in restorations.  One is Lyn Weschler's car (original owner in New York);  another is the all-original S1 that Scott Walker used to own;  the third is 200H, owned by R.A. in the Cleveland, Ohio area.  All three cars, last I saw, had traces of this gray fuzz in areas that don't get seen or touched, like the underside of the binnacle.   I believe Scott Walker and I had a conversation about it when I visited the U.K.    The Nextel stuff confuses me:  it is definitely lighter than what I am used to seeing, I hear about the difficulty in applying it;  is it, when properly cured, supposed to dry to a soft, fuzzy touch?   Well, the original stuff on at least some of the cars is definitely darker than the Nextel.  Maybe it's an early car/late car thing?   Maybe Nextel changed their formula?

That stuff looks really good. I wonder if its safe to use to cover the inside of the engine cover ?

I found some 1/4" dense foam in the garage that I forgot I bought so will put that on the tunnel sides and will glue the carpet directly to the rear bulkhead sound deadening pads. Thanks guys !

Hi Jon,

For what it's worth, when I covered the inside of one of my engine covers, I used bonnet insulation from a Porsche 928.   I chose it because I know it can withstand the heat, and the adhesive is absolutely the stickiest substance known to humanity.  One of my concerns in choosing a material was that at some point it could come loose, hang down, and touch the timing belt;  no such concern with the Porsche insulation.    Expensive, yes, but worth the piece of mind.   Four-plus years and almost 10k miles later, it has held up extremely well and I am pleased.  

Here is the original post:  http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/33197-s1-mini-project-engine-cover-sound-insulation/?hl=%2Bengine+%2Bcover

-Tony  :)

• Like 1

No, it's Roger Moore doing a 180 :-)

Edited by Mesprit87

Could anyone who has any tartan s1 interior pictures please post them on here, they would be really useful when I do the retrim. Thanks.

Jon, what heat reflective material did you use in the end on the rear valance and inside engine cowl? Have just ordered felt.have original style carpet clips but am considering using glue and double side tape? Did anyone use double sided tape for the engine bay carpets also?

Hi Fabian. I haven't put any reflective material on my rear valance or engine cover yet, but will probably go with the stuff the Vin found above. Used high temp contact adhesive for the engine bay carpets as I can't see why I'd want to remove them, unlike the floor mats where I used carpet tape.

I have to the point of fitting felt. Does the 1/4 felt stop at the edge of the tunnel? With over the top 1/4 inch foam? Think may do mine like this. Larger piece of foam at the rear, why?

Have to retrim dash and centre tunnel and everything else,as currently not good enough. Saw Steve Fulcher some time back, remember him saying not all bits had scrim foam under them. Does anyone know how each bit was trimed so can post on here to help anyone who does this in the future?

The vertical trims up the inside of the windscreen only had half trimmed with scrim. The horizontal trims above the doors had no scrim at all. The panel behind the seats also had no scrim I believe. The dash was covered in scrim.

Paul.

Thanks Paul, which face on the Verticle trims had scrim, was it the front or inside edge? Also did the centre tunnel have scrim?

There is a strip up the vertical trims which covers the fixing clips. The factory used a strip of masking tape on the join to feather it into the section which doesn't have the scrim.

Yes there was scrim on the tunnel.

Paul.

Centre console scrim detail photo for you - this is 3mm scrim foam.  My dashboard had 5mm soft yellow (disintegrating) foam on the two outer and centre panel only. Inset panel under instrument cluster also had 3mm scrim foam on it.  The two trim panels above the door windows both had 3mm scrim foam on them. As Paul said, the A-panel trims had scrim foam only on the forward facing strip to cover the steel retaining clips.

post-3309-0-78857400-1426452523.jpg

Thanks. That's a great picture, will really help. Did the top of the tunnel have the same 5mm yellow foam found some traces of this on mine. I did not remove it so don't know how it was originally. Is the material just stretched and glued at the edges on the centre consol or is its glued to the scrim completely? If so are all the other done using the same method. Mine were done professionally but I'm nit happy with the standard so doing them all again!

The top of the tunnel on mine had no scrim foam on it - can't see any point because its covered by the centre console anyway. Material is not really stretched, just lightly pulled to take out any creases and glued onto the scrim foam. Note there is no scrim on the parts where the interior chrome is fitted.

I can't see why they put yellow foam on top. There's also a foam pad to the rear of the tunnel. Have seen a picture of a car with yellow foam all along the top. You never know if someone had modified it, so it might not be original. My car was Originally identical to your interior and Bronze. One of only two s1s like that.

The thick foam pad on the back of the tunnel is to raise and support the centre console at the rear. The rear bulkhead map pocket sits down on the console and keeps it in place - I think. I can't see any other fixings for the console apart from the screws at the front.

Found a picture of my stripped dashboard for you with the original 5mm yellow foam. The foam edges curl down over the nose of the dash and finish where the chrome trim fits.

post-3309-0-91717300-1426455653.jpg

Thanks again, all this gen will make putting it back much easier.

Is that foam medium, soft or hard and was it on the glove box door?

Also on the Tartan car the center consol was made of three pieces of material the corners on the join were not stitched but apparently there was a stitch line to give the appearance it was stitched. Has anyone got a close up picture please as will get it recovered soon.

That Dom looks like the same stuff that was on top of the tunnel?

On the drivers side did the 1/4 felt stop short of the throttle cable? Looks like my throttle cable is original and was secured with riveted P clips. There appears to be a glu line below it where the felt stopped?

That foam is soft and its also on the glovebox lid. I only took the tunnel side foam up to the throttle cable.

Yep, think I will do that as well. Think I may use the Carpet clips and seat runners to hold down the carpet and underlay

With sealant on the ends of screws. Got some original clips off ebay.

Can you post a link to the carpet clips? Still havn't glued my footwell mats down so I might clip it.

I got these of ebay can't find the link, but woolies sell them.http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-50-carpet-fasteners.aspxpost-17315-0-03759300-1426760632.jpgpost-17315-0-50921800-1426760641.jpg

The stud on the right screws into floor with penny washer to hold the felt. The part on left goes thru carpet into part next to it and claws are bent back. Need to get it tight so clawed ring sits below pile. Ps took me ages to find that out!