free hit
counters
Project - S1 re-trim - Page 4 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Jon, when you recovered the dash did you re- scrim it or just use the foam already there?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I re scrimmed it. The old foam may have had a tendency to rot.

Paul,

Have you done the headlining? Was it 1/4 scrim glued to the green cloth then stitched in lines and glued to the roof of the body? Did you use spray glue all of the cloth to the scrim, presumably too much glue will show through the cloth? Need to do this soon. Thanks.

Hi Fabian,

SJ's sell a special material that is foam backed... This is what I purchased to do my headlining, sun visor panel and B pillars 

Hi Vin,

Thanks will check them out.

Just had a look, sadly not in green cloth.

You mean like this

http://www.lotusespritrestoration.com/2012/02/fabricating-s1-lotus-esprit-headliner.html?m=1

I glued my headliner to a sheet of soft rubber sheet using spray adhesive, then glued the whole thing up using high temp contact adhesive. It's easier to fix something that doesn't want to drop on you while you are doing it.

Of course, your car being upside down most of the time you may not have that problem. :-)

Yep thanks that's it! Is that thread white or green? Will have to find a company in the UK that can attach scrim to material or just spray glue and see?

I believe it might be a red thread, Paul probably has the colour details. Spray glue will be fine then you just stitch through them both to create the lines.

Has anyone got a picture of the wood that sits at the top of the windscreen under the roof, that the sun visor trim screws into? Thanks.

Hi Fabian... Forgot to take pics but the wooden panel is at home .. I'll do my best to remember to take pics and measure it up for you

Check out one of the topics from last year (Vin asked the same question).  

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/63808-s1-esprit-sun-visors/

My Post #14 includes measurements and a YouTube video. Paul's subsequent Post #15 may be an issue - not much you can do about it now though apart from use good glue I guess.

Thanks Jon. Wish I'd done that before putting the screen in. Never mind resin and bonded wood should be more than strong enough.

Jon, just had another look at the video, is the wood tapered? Looks thinner at the corners, thanks.

It's covered now so difficult to check but not as I recall. It's just a plain wood strip.

Did anyone put 1/2 sound deadening over bulkhead sound matting?

Does anyone know what screw size were used to secure the 1/4 windows? Also can you see the end of th thread in tailgate gulley?

Aren't the rear 1/4 windows bonded in ?  Don't remember any screws being there .. at least not on an s2..

Haven't forgotten the engine cover straps .. I'll hopefully snap up some pics tonight 

Hi Vin,

No they are definately screwed in on S1, just where the holes are seems very untidy and I don't know what screws were used. Thanks.

Did anyone put 1/2 sound deadening over bulkhead sound matting?

I put 1/2" sound deadening behind the seats even though I don't believe it had it originally.

Don't put any sound deadening on the sides of the wheel arches or you might find that the accelerator pedal will foul on it.

Up the sides of the tunnel it should be 1/4" according to the late Nick Fulcher.

Does anyone know what screw size were used to secure the 1/4 windows? Also can you see the end of th thread in tailgate gulley?

They were a slot head countersunk screw (M5 or M6 from memory) with a washer and lock nut.

Paul.

Steve Fulcher told me no sound deadening behind seat. However am going to install some as there is space having tested the trim.

On my car the 1/4 window seems to have been screwed in using self taping screws through the tailgate gully. The end on the screws would stick up through the tailgate?

On yours does the slot head pass through the tailgate gully? Thus would be a better solution.

Originally those screws were countersunk as I said and they are fitted downwards so the head is flush with the tailgate gully. Inside the car you then have the window bracket, a washer and a nyloc nut.