free hit
counters
Project - S1 re-trim - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Has anyone got any detailed pictures of the esprit s1 under carpet felt that are original as will have to do this soon. Was hoping to create a picture database on here for anyone who's thinking of this in the future. Here's some to start.post-17315-0-89255500-1420363776.jpgpost-17315-0-74612000-1420363802.jpgpost-17315-0-09268400-1420363828.jpgpost-17315-0-87508700-1420363873.jpg

Original foam show in last picture.

As I understand it the felt is 1/2 inch. Think it was held in position by the carpet fixings and not glued. The capers pressed into the studs on top. Midway up the door card the foam covers a type of cork which is covered in foam.

post-17315-0-23753300-1420364285.jpg

Does anyone know if the black on the inside of the finisher is how it left the factory? Some resto cars have body colour here.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Admin: shouldn't this be in the Giugiaro section? (Done thanks for the heads up - Buddsy)

Also, completely off topic, but is that a radio knob I spot in front of the gear stick? And if so, where are the speakers, i can't see any on the doors.

Edited by Freemason

Yep finger trouble, could you move it please? Good spot, don't know got picture off internet.

Have a look on Steve Fulcher's website at his past restorations.

Cheers, Paul.

Hi Fabian. On my car there were underfelt pads only in the outer footwell areas (not the inner) and underneath the seat and footwell mats. See attached pic in red highlight area.

post-3309-0-11275100-1420672101.jpg

Thanks Jon, that's helpful. Do you know if the binnacle and dash were originally painted in Nextel suede coating? That's the light grey in the picture above. IT was used when the original bond car was restored by Nick Fulcher the Original lotus trimmer, but was wondering whether Lotus actually used it or if it was a replacement for a similar material? It's easy to buy but difficult to spray and get a good suede type finish.

The Nextel paint is the original finish material for the green and tartan S1 interior. It's applied to the top section of the dashboard (closest to the windscreen) instrument binnacle, window switch panel and column shroud. It's very expensive too.

Bought some Nextel a while back but wasn't sure whether it was original, so thanks for that. Will press ahead and get the parts you mentioned done.

Horrible stuff to spray! And if you get a run you have to start over. Needs to be mixed in the correct proportions too. As well as the bits Jon mentioned above it is also on the gear stick surround. You should have an aluminium rectangular panel that the green gaiter material fixes to.

Paul

Thanks, will have to look into that don't have aluminium panel.

Thanks, will have to look into that don't have aluminium panel.

Well luckily for you Steve sells a fibreglass repro one...

GEAR LEVER TRIM TRAY Only used on very early S1   SJ079B0037 EACH 38.50

Edited by Paul Coleman

Anyone notice anything unusual here.....

post-237-0-50059100-1421702601.jpg

post-237-0-66701600-1421702625.jpg

I think the shade that was used for the Nexel paint was a bit insipid and just didn't look right against the green cloth.

I went 2 or 3 shades darker which I think looks far better........

But if I hadn't said that you would never have known :-)

Thats very nice Gordon, and you're right - I'd never have noticed!  I see a Philips radio/cassette nuzzling in there - was that an original fitment (Model No.??)  

You don't happen to have a photo of The Loch Ness Monster the Motorola LT558 do you ? I seem to recall you were hunting for one after your car was completed..  

Interesting! Stuck with the shade as already have the Nextel. I have a plastic one piece moulding for the gear lever and a metal piece screwed with rubber gaiter to the tunnel. Does this tray sit on top of the plastic moulding?as shown in picture.post-17315-0-99477900-1421703588.jpg

Thats very nice Gordon, and you're right - I'd never have noticed!  I see a Philips radio/cassette nuzzling in there - was that an original fitment (Model No.??)  

You don't happen to have a photo of The Loch Ness Monster the Motorola LT558 do you ? I seem to recall you were hunting for one after your car was completed..

The Philips was the original one that was in the car from new. I have seen 3 or 4 very early S1's with that unit fitted over the years.

I have always had the original, must be someone else that yo are thinking about that was looking for a Motorola.

No, Nick was going to do my car but in the end I couldn't afford it.

My car definitely had the Philips unit in it from new. It was very much original when I got it although the interior looked very bleached because the car had obviously been parked in direct sun light.

The only thing that I am missing from my car is the door mirror.

Some prick kicked it off when it was parked in Edinburgh years back.

You know Steve Fulcher has reproduced the S1 mirror now? £200 each is the price of unobtainium from him.

You know Steve Fulcher has reproduced the S1 mirror now? £200 each is the price of unobtainium from him.

Holy shit! Thanks for posting that!

I got a little too excited too quickly. Mike Halker pointed out that you gents probably meant that Steve has recreated the Euro-spec octagonal mirrors rather than the Federal spec Raydyots, correct? I was hoping for Raydyots.  

Yep, I meant the small mirrors that mount on the A-panel above the door.

In the red car picture the door seal area is not painted black?...How is it finished?