free hit
counters
Trackday Items - tyre, pad etc. suggestions? - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Ian Lockwood

Trackday Items - tyre, pad etc. suggestions?

Hi all, I've been looking through a few posts here about trackdays in the V6S. It looks like most people have been using standard tyres and brake pads.

Having done a fair few trackdays in other cars, my experience is that road tyres and pads only go so far before the heat causes problems. With the V6S weighing what it does, I assume the same will happen, so I was wondering if any of you have used uprated brake pads and/or full-on (but road-legal) track tyres?

I see that Pagid RS14s are the "official" track pad, as it were. Is anything else available?

I also note the availability of a baffled sump, does anyone know if this is required when using track tyres? It has been advisable on other cars I've had once you start generating cornering forces beyond what's possible on the road.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The Pirelli P-Zero Corsa Trofeo is a full-on, road-legal track tyre and the only one Lotus recommend. If your car has the race pack it has already been optimised for the Trofeo tyre so I'd try that first. They don't last long but generate serious amounts of grip. The standard P-Zero Corsas are quite a few other manufacturers' idea of a track tyre too, so well up to the job for most people. Trofeos are about as hardcore as road legal tyres get.

I have the floating discs and still on standard pads, I've not encountered any brake fade whatsoever to date. Lotus didn't muck about with the brakes for the V6 Exige, they are enough to pull your face off in an Evora which is over 200kg heavier. Not many owners have uprated the pads simply because not many have felt the need to. Better pads can't make it any worse so I guess why not if you want to but it might be an idea to run the car stock to begin with so you can judge any improvement more accurately.

The baffled sump isn't necessary but nice to have if you plan on driving the car really hard. More peace of mind than anything else. I've not heard of a single V6S having any issues with oil starvation.

I'd agree with the above, unlike the Elise where the standard brakes were like butter, I can say after 6 track days on the originals in the V6, including a great day at Silverstone the standard brakes have shown no fade at all. Ditto the comments with the tyres, the Trofeos seem excellent but wear (further discussion here).

Thanks guys, that discussion on the Trofeo was in my mind when thinking about track tyres. Sounds like the Toyo 888 situation - just too soft on cars over 1000kg, so they don't last long (but the grip is pretty immense). I haven't checked Trofeo prices, I'm assuming they're pricey relative to say a Kumho V70a (or whatever the equivalent is now, it's been a while!) which I'd expect to last longer (even if not absolutely as grippy). Quick check: £1107.60 for a set on Seriously Lotus. Less than £700 for a set of V70a tyres from Camskill (although it looks like you might have to go 205/40 for the fronts as they don't list 45s). If the Trofeos wear as quickly as people are saying, there will have to be a pretty strong case for me to spend that much extra...

Am I right in thinking the standard pad is a Ferodo DS2500? I suppose it's the size that matters most, the Exige brakes are certainly the largest of any car I've owned and it's the size that determines heat dissipation, so if they can shift the heat I suppose you don't need the higher-spec pads that can take it.

For example, I used to run Mintex F4R pads on my Honda DC5 Integra, having found that Mintex 1144s (brilliant on the road, much better than DS2500s IMO) just got too hot and faded. The F4Rs never faded, but boy did the heat build up - they melted the paint off the wheels! God knows what state the wheel bearings were in by the time I sold it... The DC5 is about the same weight as the Exige, but obviously more weight over the front and smaller calipers/discs, so from what you're saying, it sounds like that extra size gets rid of the heat. Two piece discs (which I don't have) definitely help too, I had AP Racing two-piece discs on the Integra and they took an amazing amount of abuse.

Good to hear on the sump situation - I'd be a bit disappointed if Lotus hadn't thought of that. I can understand why it might be wise on a car equipped with slicks, but for me a car like the Exige should be fit to run anything road-legal without modification.

I've heard good things about the Avon ZZR which is used by the Lotus Cup race cars. It might fall just short of the ultimate outright grip of the Trofeos but they are said to last considerably longer.

ZZRs sound interesting, anyone know where to buy online? Can't easily find any place selling them at the moment.

ZZRs sound interesting, anyone know where to buy online?

As I understand they are a motorsport tyre and therefore not available direct to public.

Back on Track in guildford fitted mine to my S2.

As I understand they are a motorsport tyre and therefore not available direct to public.

Hmm, they're road legal though and mentioned on a few tyre sites. Oddly not listed on Camskill despite them showing all other Avon tyres. Looks like I'll have to do some ringing around...

If it's the same as last year, you can turn up at any Lotus Cup event and Avon do a special deal if you get them fitted there on the day...

http://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/motorsport-news/lotus-cup-uk-2015-race-calendar-confirmed/

Hi all, I've been looking through a few posts here about trackdays in the V6S. It looks like most people have been using standard tyres and brake pads.

Its a good idea to get at least a front towing eye too...

Its a good idea to get at least a front towing eye too...

Doesn't the car come with one?  Or are you talking about the big red ones that need the grill cutting?

No it doesn't come with one or even anything to screw one into and fitting one will require cutting a hole in the grille as far as I can tell - it's very annoying!

The front towing eye is an 80mm FIA approved item so couldn't be fitted on the Type Approved car from new, it would never pass pedestrian impact tests etc but all Cup cars should come with one along with removable steering wheel and 4 point harness which are dealer/customer fit.

I knew I'd forgotten something as I typed that first post... yep, towing eye, a definite requirement. Can't believe there isn't a non-destructive option for fitting one!

Yes, I'd assumed it came with the same ones as the previous exige/elise variants.

So if I want to do a track day I have to cut up my car - nice one Lotus!

Yes, I'd assumed it came with the same ones as the previous exige/elise variants.

So if I want to do a track day I have to cut up my car - nice one Lotus!

Exactly....

Alternative is to purchase a spare grill

https://www.deroure.com/search.asp?MAK=1&MDL=42&TBL=6309&SC=1&x=8&y=17&ST=A138B0011F

or remove the grill for the track day to expose the towing post

Alternative is to purchase a spare grill or remove the grill for the track day to expose the towing post

Wonder how easy this is to do?  I'd be happy to change grills/fit eye for a trackday, just not sure I want to towing eye fitted 24/7.

Just a few screws, there was a guy at Brands the other day that has opted for that on a V6 roadster. My only concern would be if you need dragging out then the hook would need to go "into" the front of the car, would worry something would rub on the bodywork.

Just a few screws, there was a guy at Brands the other day that has opted for that on a V6 roadster. My only concern would be if you need dragging out then the hook would need to go "into" the front of the car, would worry something would rub on the bodywork.

To be fair, If you've buried it in a gravel trap you're probably going to need a respray anyway :cry:

While not ideal of course, the front grill is only £34.