free hit
counters
Coil Spring Compressors - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
peteyg

Coil Spring Compressors

Anyone have any suggestions as to a good set of spring compressors. Need to replace the rear springs on the S2 but seem to have lost my old compressors which I think were the Sealey ones.

Never had any problems with them but wondered if there was anything better out there as there are obvoius saftey issues.

Pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Having had a spring break free when using the twin compressors type (where you use a pair of free-moving compressors), I heartily recommend the single-arm type where the spring if compressed by a plate  not a hook, they are less prone to slipping. Mine is Blue Point, but there are lots of other brands.

I hate 'em! Got a local motorsport firm to fit mine for a cheeky score :D

When i fit springs i always put two short ratchet straps through the spring and tighten as i go with the spring compressor pull down so if it does slip you don't dent the roof of the work shop or if it shoots down well the crown jewels if you get my drift.

I heard that motorcycle ones work best as they're smaller. Like everybody else I always whince when I'm tightening the things up and I've got the separate ones.

My old ones were rusted solid and like the idiotic moment when I was sawing through the old damper the thought occurred to me "this thing could....." it broke free and shot across the workshop and hit a wall. Lucky for me all I got was a blood blister on my thumb and a throbbing hand. Really dangerous. Next time I was much more careful but like Bibs says it probably cheaper than buying the kit to get someone else to do them.

Just be super careful what ever you do.

Budddsy

I cut through my standard springs with a grinder, the shock unload each time a coil cut though was awesome.

Replaced them with coilovers, much easier to work with :D

Might seem obvious, but start by jacking under the suspension to compress the spring ...until the point where the car starts to lift off the stands. Fitting the compressors into the spring can be a job....a ratchet strap around them will hold them on the spring...and nothing wrong with another ratchet strap in case the whole thing slips. Be VERY, VERY careful...there is a huge amount of energy stored in a compressed spring...whatever you do, if it even looks a little bit like slipping, DO NOT press on regardless. Stop, undo them and start again. Do not undo anything else until the spring is safely compressed...as for angle grinders...well.......!!

• Like 1