free hit
counters
My S2 M100 Elan and its Bubble! - M100 Elan - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Vipers

My S2 M100 Elan and its Bubble!

Hi Guys,

Just thought that I would upload a few pictures of my recently purchased S2 M100 which I absolutely love, unfortunately it failed its MOT last week so is going back in later this week to get it sorted.

Yesterday I setup the Carcoon Veloce in the metal garage I had built a few weeks ago for the Elan to live in as I have now found out that a metal garage really isn't a great idea especially where condensation in involved, I went in the garage the other day and the while bodywork had a layer of condensation on it with beads of water sitting on the wheels, hopefully the Carcoon will remedy this.

As far as putting together the Carcoon it was a real doddle, even for a DIY numpty like me, all in all it took around 2 hours, I went with a small which fits the Elan perfectly, may get one for the LF1 next.

IMG_0870_zps298547fd.jpg

IMG_0873_zps3c1b509e.jpg

IMG_0871_zps7a4f959c.jpg

IMG_0868_zps06331a8b.jpg

IMG_0867_zpsc421eb76.jpg

IMG_0865_zps15c85a7b.jpg

IMG_0864_zpsb3bfe599.jpg

IMG_0862_zpsbd2062c8.jpg

IMG_0861_zps5e3a058d.jpg

IMG_0878_zps64c74d5b.jpg

IMG_0880_zps5cefebd6.jpg

IMG_0882_zps99556ea1.jpg

IMG_0884_zpsc2a4cf7b.jpg

IMG_0886_zps04d6b3c8.jpg

IMG_0887_zps3c9899f9.jpg

IMG_0888_zps621d472c.jpg

Cheers,

Paul.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That fits nicely! Car looks good too! 

How does the Carcoon keep the car free of condensation, does it have a dehumidifier built in?

Thanks Bips, yes it uses something called active airflow, basically it is 2 fans built into the cover which pump filtered fresh air around the car, hopefully it works :-)

I thought it was really good value also at under £500, should be worth every penny if you have a metal garage.

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately my metal garage and bubble came to a sticky end today, luckily I saved the Elan.

Around lunchtime we had some ridiculously heavy winds, which destroyed the garage, it just ripped it from its moorings, looking back I really did take my life in my own hands to get the Elan out without any damage, worth it though.

IMG_1232_zpsyyjkt7al.jpg

Time for a re-think  :huh:

Oh no - thankfully you got the car out.......

It's been silly windy here as well - not a nice day.........

I'd have that garage unit back to the suppliers for a full refund - it's clearly not fit for purpose ( not now anyway )

Wow! Does this happen often to metal garages? Amazing, not in the good sense! 

Glad the car's ok though :)

Glad you got the car saved as it looks like a beauty. Surprised the garage was not rated for the wind you got. The one I built in WA had a very high wind rating. Never got the condensation problem though due to different ambient temps at night.

An idea for your re-think...

http://www.tigersheds.com/product/the-malayan-garage-44mm-log-cabin/

Weve had two log cabins from these guys so far ( having moved house) . Excellent quality and a doddle to build. Just need to put a suitable base down first. I used slabs this time, but that was over recently turned soil, so you may get away without....

No problems with winds on the West coast here :-)

Oh, and well done for saving the car!

Thanks Guys, my arms are really aching today after spending an hour trying to hold the garage down before giving up and letting it go :)

Yes it will be a wooden garage this time, a quick question Dave, how is it attached to the ground to stop the same thing happening again?

Cheers,

Have a local chippy build you one and clad it

Should be able to do all the work bar concrete for less that £2k. A slab will be about £400 plus the ground works

You just bolt through the sole plate to the concrete slab about every 2ft - it won't move!!!!

It weighs about 2 1/2 tonnes, no pyhsical fixings as standard, but you could easily sink a 4" post at each corner if you're worried.

Only issue i had with the first one was a lifting of the roof during very high (70mph plus) gales, and that was because one of the storm brace screws sheared.

Even then, all it did lift slightly and not seat correctly when it dropped back. If we hadnt had huge mirrors on the walls wich bowed in ther supports ( pilates, not fifty shades, honest :-) ) i doubt id even have noticed....

If you go that way, drop me a line and I'l give you more assembly/ insulation pointers

Dave

Thanks again guys, I'm putting it down to experience, I wouldn't overly recommend the metal garages anyway due to the condensations problem, wood seems to breath far better.

Its a shame though as we are renting at the moment and probably for the next couple of years so it would have been handy if the metal one had lasted till we moved out, I guess at least with a quality wood one you can take it with you, there is no way you could dismantle the metal type once up, unless mother nature has her way, she made it look easy :)

• Like 1

I had a 14 x12 metal shed, supposed to be heavy duty and fit for strong winds, wrong, it buckled like a piece of tin foil.

Yes I won't be buying a metal one again, below is my 2nd attempt, proper concrete base this time, only took 1.5 hours to put up compared to the 3 days to assemble the metal one, hopefully this will stay up longer :) Thinking about putting up another one to put the Caterham in I've just bought.

IMG_1612_zpsfswudpvg.jpg

IMG_1615_zpsc2ifram7.jpg

IMG_1616_zpspu4uflq9.jpg