free hit
counters
starter motor sticking... what to do - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
ANDYR

starter motor sticking... what to do

was turning over okay.

no makes 'click' sound and won't turn.

starter motor has stuck before.

i've 'tapped it' and rocked back and forth in 5th,

won't budge,

any other tricks?

thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Battery charged?

Other than that, tap it harder or of course ideally replace it.

yes, battery 100% super dooper.

Was running perfect the other day and humms away on idle and pulls well through the gears and holds speed etc. all good. But a day or two in the cold an wet...

Will 'tap' again but tapping is starting to turn into abuse.  Is there a decent ...er... tapping point I can aim for?

cheers

Yup, the solenoid but you do need to replace it soon. It won't last long from now...

I shall aim and fire with the mallet accordingly. 

solenoid on the top, side or bottom - when looking down onto the engine from the top...

Sure its the starter and not some other electrical gremlin?

Are you hearing the fuel pump ticking prior to trying to start it?

yep.  fuel pump chugging away all okay.

was turning over and I was awaiting 'spark and fire' but then nothing and the next time I turned the key I get the 'click' and nothing...

so solenoid tapping it is.  if I can line up and get a decent shot.  any other thoughts?

Before you start smashing stuff up with a hammer, check the voltage of the battery. Won't take 10 seconds...

I once made a sticking solenoid work better and last longer by taking it apart and cleaning it.   I was just putting off the inevitable . . .

Also can be a poor connection...positive or negative cable/wire... Had a similar issue in my Porsche and it was the positive cable at the starter end... Most of the wires inside the cable had broken and there was not enough juice reaching the starter. If looked from the side it all looked normal, until I moved the cable and realize that it was held by just a few strands. Of course I found this after buying a new starter.... Repaired the cable and all was back to normal. Original starter still in the car and new one sits on a shelve in the garage...

I know it was not a Lotus, but the logic is the same :)

Edited by wachuko

x2 on the wires connection, only in my case on a 1972 Pontiac. Looking at the battery wires from the top, all was well; taking the wires off to install a new battery, found the wires thinned out due to movement years prior when the battery was not properly held down by the OEM clamps. Otherwise, your starter "click" and tap with a hammer on the solenoid problem sounds very, very familiar with that same '72 Pontiac, only from when the exact same problem occurred with that car...in 1987 (I've been driving it and maintaining it for over thirty years--the car on which I learned to drive, my late mother in the passenger seat...)

If you do go looking for a new starter, you might want to consider the beautiful piece made by Lotusmarques.com. However, using today's (6 January 2015) exchange rate, cost is ~236 GBP plus shipping, so cost is obviously very, very prohibitive unless you have it go by SeaMail, which can be cheaper (and takes several weeks to arrive). 

Good luck, and check those connections!

Cheers,

Scott

Replacement starters available in the UK - Original one, upgraded one - hi-torque, much lighter and smaller - SJs £165 and Autoelectricalsupplies - RAC415 is the Powerlite one @ £140 + VAT.

Once you get inside the solenoid itself, you find that the moving part causes a thick copper piece to bridge across two thick copper contacts, thus connecting the power to the starter motor. The contacts can get corroded, the moving part of the solenoid can get obstructed, the coils can fail....getting at it in the first place needs good soldering skill levels. Even more so putting it back together! Check everything you can as discussed above...if no go, take the thing off the car and take it to an auto electrician. They have the kit to test it and test it's performance, too. I always use Sahibs Auto Electrical by the Hangar Lane gyratory system...but any decent firm will be able to do the tests and fix the thing too, if you wish. Otherwise...buy a new one, once you have checked all the other possibilities.. it's VERY galling to buy a new part and have it make no difference because the fault was elsewhere!

cheers all.

Have tapped lightly and now back running deliciously.  Am on M4, M25, then M1 to Leeds tomorrow from 11ish onwards so keep your eyes peeled.  I'll be either listening to radio in the near side lane with the occasional overtake or on the hard shoulder with my head in my hands.

cheers all.

will sort a test for the solenoid on return.

You'll be fine...once running, don't let it stop!!!

post-13144-0-44668900-1428786979.jpg

just so you all know.

I went up and down to Leeds and back without a problem.  I took apart the starter motor though on my return and stripped it.

took it all apart and wiped everything down with - coconut oil, WD40 and a dry cloth.  Took off loads of crap around the copper contacts and touch points in and around the solenoid area and motor.

Put it all back and replaced a few 30+year old wires at the same time.

Starts with half a turn every time, all the time.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Love it - ever thought of emigrating to Cuba !!

Seems you have the right approach after all....(!) Very pretty...everything displayed for inspection....immaculate.

Hmmm.

I replaced my starter just because. Well, I had my reasons.

But I now have the old starter sitting, unloved. Your image alone makes me want to overhaul it....

Yes, worth the effort.

Two bolts and a tap and off it popped.  Everything else was follow your nose. Take it off, clean it up and with a needle file, gently bring back the copper shine.  And coconut oil is fast becoming a cure all for most issues along with electrical tape and cable ties. 

Take care when taking out the main part of the motor - with the commutator at the end.  The brushes are on tough springs and it's a bit of a fiddle getting it back in.  You might need an extra pair of hands to pull them all back at the same time with fine screw drivers/files/knitting needles and whatever is lying about the house.

Something very satisfying about taking things apart that aren't designed with an expectation that they should be repaired and doing so.

enjoy.

Something I learned at my father's knee in the 1950s. If it's broken already, you can do no harm to it by trying to mend it....and very often, you can sort it out. He also used to say that if you knew the basic principles, you could work out pretty much anything.... Over the years, it's proved to be true. Starter motors, alternators, anything man has produced....man can mend it.

Getting the brushes back can be a bugger, though...(!)