free hit
counters
Otter switch trip temperature - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Paul Coleman

Otter switch trip temperature

Does anybody know what temperature the otter switch kicks in at on the S1?

Thanks, Paul.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have you looked in the manual?

There are at least two, Paul;  maybe three throughout the S1 run.  And other temperature ranges for Elite/Eclat, . . .  and MGBs, and  . . .    :)

Have you looked in the manual?

Yes, I can't find anything in the manual which specifies a temperature :(

There are at least two, Paul;  maybe three throughout the S1 run.  And other temperature ranges for Elite/Eclat, . . .  and MGBs, and  . . .    :)

Any idea what the possibles are for the S1 Tony?

I've bought an external thermostatic switch for the fans as a backup to the otter switch but I don't know what temperature (roughly) to set it to. I guess the alternative is to wait until it overheats in traffic and then run round the front to set it hahaha

I think mine kicks in at about 110/120 but that's just going on what the gauge says. Don;t know how accurate it is.

Pete

Hi,

Pete , isn't that a bit high for the fans to come in?

My fans kick in at 90°C and that is exactly halfway the gauge (needle vertical down)

Geert

90 is about where the running temperature should be I think otherwise it is running a bit cool. In summer that's where mine is and a little cooler in winter. But like I say, I don't now how accurate the gauge is. I'm sure someone on here has the correct figures.

Pete

S&J list two...one normal and one for hot climates...

http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/index.php?mod=10

My thoughts would be 82 deg C or thereabouts. Thing is, the otter switch only come on when the car is stationary...so the main thing is to not allow it to get too hot; that way lies disaster!!

Exactly,

When driving, the fans never kick in, but when stationary, or in a car traffic jam they do , even in winter, but pretty fast in summer and in my case , the temp stays fixed aroud the 90 deg C point.

Geert

Edited by gvy