free hit
counters
Esprit S1 Alternator - USA sources - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
wachuko

Esprit S1 Alternator - USA sources

Alternator in a 77 S1 is toast... literally... burnt to a crisp.  Would like to source a replacement in the USA... any compatible units available?  Any viable alternative that would just drop in and work?

The searches that I have done only point to sources in the UK for a 69-72 Alternator from a Capri. ... nothing wrong with that, besides the higher cost of shipping, so trying to source locally (well, as near to me as possible).

Thank you

Edited by wachuko

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Jaime,

The U.S. cars used a Motorola alternator;  the U.K. cars used a Lucas unit.  They are different in their shape, and I think you may need a different bracket to use the Lucas.  With that said, two of my U.S. Esprit S1s arrived in my hands with a fresh Lucas alternator.  In both cases, I replaced it with the Motorola unit.   If the car does NOT have air conditioning, you should be able to use the Lucas with no issues (other than maybe changing the bracket or the spacers on it, using a different belt, etc.).   If the car does have air conditioning, the compressor is located where the alternator normally goes, and the alternator goes higher up;  in this case, the Lucas alternator interferes with the air cleaner (Dellortos) enough that you can't even use K&Ns, much less the correct air box.  With the Motorola, air conditioning and Dellortos, K&Ns fit no problem, and the factory air box just needs a small part ground away to clear.

I went looking for more of those Motorola alternators as they can be hard to find.  The best/easiest source I found was from an Eclat or Elite.  It seemed a bunch went for parts several years ago;  not sure how easy those will be to find today.  I think the same alternator is used in some 1970s VW Scirocco, Rabbit, etc.;  not positive.  I think later ones are 65amp but still in the same casing.  Later Eclats/Elites might be likewise (I'm not sure). 

It's relatively easy to find an old Motorola alternator with that shape casing -- just search eBay.  The hard part, I think, is finding one that uses three spade plugs rather than a stud with a  nut to connect the main wires.  I kind of like to keep things original in the details;  your possibilities may open up if you are willing to switch from a spade connector to a nut/stud. 

Cheers,

Tony K.

Tony,

This is the car that Bill bought (S1S2S3 group in Yahoo)... trying to help source some of the parts.  With the hopes that I can later take it off Bill's hands and into my garage for ongoing work and ownership of my first Lotus/Esprit.

I was able to get an original harness (from a fellow forum member).  That should be shipping out soon... That means that I would like to be able to connect via original plug.

Here is a photo of the engine... I do not know if it had A/C or not, sorry.  I will need to ask:

IMG_0832_zpse92c35be.jpg

That is a very strange (home made?) alternator mounting bracket.   Without A/C, the alternator should be positioned lower down, close to the timing belt tensioner (it blocks access to the adjusting screw...).   It looks like there is a bracket behind the tensioner . . .  I wonder if this was an A/C conversion car?    If the car had A/C installed by the dealer or importer, it would have two little round knobs somewhere on the dash or binnacle -- one with a snowflake and one with a fan blade.  Few cars had A/C added, and in the intervening years many were stripped of the compressors, condensers, etc...   Whether 290H ever did, there is no compressor there now!

Best thing to do:  Obtain the correct alternator mount bracket (lower bracket) and mount the alternator where it should be.  (Remember, bracket might be different for Motorola vs. Lucas, same with spacers/washers/which hole it screws into.  This way you won't have issues with air cleaners no matter what you choose.

I see what you mean... found photos of engines... and this diagram

EJ.gif

post-10978-0-26781700-1387800341_zps12a9

post-13355-0-13165000-1347718648_zpsce8f

Edited by wachuko

And both of those photos are not the "standard" U.S. model arrangement; The U.S. cars normally use two V-belts - the water pump and alternator each get their own.

That second car has a later style tensioner, too...

Edited by Tony K

And both of those photos are not the "standard" U.S. model arrangement; The U.S. cars normally use two V-belts - the water pump and alternator each get their own.

That second car has a later style tensioner, too...

Tony,

Thank you for pointing that out.  Not easy to find photos that I can use for reference... still searching and saving anything that I find.

Thank you again for your comments and contribution.

Jaime

I was able to take it to a local alternator repair shop and they will be able to rebuild it... so that is great news.  Still trying to figure out the bracket issues... Will try to remove any custom made stuff and bring it back to stock setup so that we can use a stock belt on it.

Here is the before state... pretty toasty...  I will provide after photos when I get it back on Thursday.

IMG_09841_zpsc747b6aa.jpg

I have an old motorola from my '81 Scirocco, will try to post a picture of it here when I come back home in a week or so.

It might help anyone else in the future, who knows...

Alternator is done... I could not pick it up today and will do so tomorrow morning... 

Looks a lot better now  :thumbsup:  The max that they could wire it for was 75amp.  Also, new wire harness should be here tomorrow.

ED3D6245-4267-4833-8B40-509D750CFFCE_zps

0277F2B5-5B96-49DB-840E-E008AF0FCEB0_zps

Also, still unable to find photos of what the correct setup should look like for a USA car to mount the alternator correctly... if anyone has photos please send them my way... [email protected] 

Found a photo of the two belt setup!!!!

Twobeltsetup_zpsc97f22e1.jpg

Now to source a new lower bracket (the one that provides the adjustment) because the one in the car has been beaten to death... We will also need both belts.  Anyone that can provide the correct # for the belts?

Edited by wachuko