free hit
counters
Trickle charging the Exige V6 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
JohnnySC

Trickle charging the Exige V6

Hi,

I know you can use the battery posts under the front access panel to attach the charger but I seem to recall reading that you can also use the cigarette lighter / satnav power / 12 V outlet socket inside the car.

Is this so ?

How do you folks do it please ?

Thanks.

John

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

CTEK charger direct to the battery in the boot, you get a little adapter with the kit.

hard-wire.jpg

Use to use the cig lighter but it kept coming out.

PS: Milton, your car is fab, I'm off to Hethel next week to choose colour, hoping to see Military in the plastic.

Edited by TonyKL

Use to use the cig lighter but it kept coming out.

PS: Milton, your car is fab, I'm off to Hethel next week to choose colour, hoping to see Military in the plastic.

I'm using a non ctek cig lighter plug, that works fine and fits very snug.  I have heard indeed that the ctek one does tend to pop out.

PS: thanks! :D

Just bought a c-tec charger off Amazon (after two failures to get out for an early morning run due to a flat battery after 6 days non-use)  - spent about 40 minutes attaching the connectors to the battery - (but I'm a numpty)

Question is:- if you leave the boot slightly ajar ('cause of the power lead) do you need to switch the alarm off or alter the position of the interior light switch?

Cheers

Question is:- if you leave the boot slightly ajar ('cause of the power lead) do you need to switch the alarm off or alter the position of the interior light switch?

I close my boot and trap the cable and lock the car as normal - it's only the rubber seals that give.

I close my boot and trap the cable and lock the car as normal - it's only the rubber seals that give.

I should add that I use a CTek - other manufacturers might have larger cables!

This was also fine in my S2 too.  Because I mounted my ctek higher on the wall the hanging cable doesn't rest on the car either.

Just bought a c-tec charger off Amazon (after two failures to get out for an early morning run due to a flat battery after 6 days non-use)  - spent about 40 minutes attaching the connectors to the battery - (but I'm a numpty)

Flat after six days? Have you checked your battery/alternator?

Several times over the winter I left my V6 for two weeks at a time without using it. It started without any issues every time.

Edited by BillTheButcher

Indeed. Unless you have a particularly hungry tracker unit (maybe one that is having trouble getting a signal?) then I was under the impression these cars have a very low current draw compared to others.  

My V6 gets used every 6 or 7 days, but I assume if need be, it would be like my S2 which I have had to leave for a couple weeks at a time and never had any issues starting.

Thanks guys - I think it may have been my fault :blush:  having the doors and boot open too long whilst I was cleaning it - but I'll keep an eye on it - seems to be charging up fine with the c-tek charger (and I've taken on board Tony's suggestion to mount it on the wall so it doesn't hang on the bodywork)

• Like 1

Nope - looks like something is nadgered - been away for a week - and the battery was flat (purposely left it off charge to check)  And the spanner symbol comes on the dash for 30 seconds when the ignition is on (after I've charged it up again) - guess I'll have to book it in to get checked out.

Battery was flat when I collected it - but it had been in the showroom for a few months - so I put it down to that - and the guys leaving the doors open when applying the ceramic coating.  

Today's diary entry reads 'Bugger'