free hit
counters
Throttle Cable - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
hopo

Throttle Cable

Hi Folks,

Well after stranding me a mere 4 miles from home just before Christmas itstime to replace the throttle cable. The current cable snapped leaving no chance of a botch to get me home. Now this is the second cable i have had go on me, last time i simply replaced the inner section which had snapped & frayed to hell. As this is my second cable in 3 years i feel it pertinent to change the whole bloomin lot. I have purchased a new one from SJs and will attempt to fit it imminently. Anyone have any tips? the LEW guide is relativley helpful. the steps i plan to take are as follows;

- disconect old one - mine is snapped & frayed at the engine end.

- remove retaining clips through bulkhead

- get some silicone grease in there (or WD40?)

- connect new one to the old one and pull it through.

- reconect

- drive

does anyone have any decent photos of how the mechanism connects at the engine end? there is a miryad of things going on and the throttle lever looks like the back of a fishing trawler which seems unessecary to me. importantly i have no clamp or part on the cam covers to anchor the cable as i have seen some cars do.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

regards,

Jon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If it's like it is on the SE then I believe it just "hooks into" the spindle at the engine end. Unless it has mated with the part over time it should be fairly easy to take off.

Use a very thin oil whatever you do. WD40 is great!

I had previously used gearbox oil which felt awesome for a while but then hardened resulting in chafing and even a throttle cable that begun getting stuck/not releasing properly - not a situation you want to find yourself in.

Cheers Vanya, i will have a bash at the weekend and let you know how i get on!

This was covered by a previous thread but the most important thing is not to even attempt to understand how the system works!

Because, the core of the cable - metal bit :-one end is attached to the throttle pedal, as expected and the other to, no, not the throttle lever, but to the cam cover! I know - Bonkers!

Something to do with the relative difference in length of the cable core and cable sheath. 

As I say, just do it, dont think it.

Obviously, somebody spent to much time thinking it...

With a Bowden cable, two things can happen. Either the outer is fixed...and the inner moves; or the inner is fixed and the outer moves! In this case, it's the second version...and the only example of it I have ever come across!

Does take some getting the mind around.......

I keep setting mine up this way, then someone comes along and "fixes" it and runs it up over the timing belt and over the cam covers. First my dad, then my mechanic. I keep telling them I know its bonkers but its how its supposed to be setup. Plus the wrong way it gets way to close to the timing belt and theres nothing to fix it to.

• Like 1