free hit
counters
Oil pump sprocket markings - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Cushing

Oil pump sprocket markings

Hi all, I've just started building the engine and I noticed the sprocket on the oil pump has an extra "pimple" mark in one of the spokes. Should this be at the front or the back when the sprocket is installed ?

88MY esprit turbo "3 Green dot sprockets on motor"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's supposed to be facing out, and be used to align from the shaft centre-pimple-crank centre. If you don't it doesn't really matter as it just means the dissy and/ or plug leads will need to move to a different position to get the ignition timing right.

Only so far as it puts the shaft in a position where, when the dizzy is 

fitted it can be rotated sufficiently without fouling the A/R unit to gain

to perfect timing position...

Best to align it as per the book.. to save frustration later.. 

Just one more question,,,I noticed my EX sprocket was installed dimple in and the IN had dimple out !! should all dimples face outward ?

OK, I’ve got it, sorry for the stupid question,,, the DOT’s are aligned with the mark IN on one side and then aligned with EX on the other, ambidextrous, the pimple is obviously brail for blind mechanics !!  

Considering how good the access is when the engine's in place, I doubt that all cars have the dimples aligned, but at least you have a hope with that even if you cannot see that area.