free hit
counters
S1 main front earthing point - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Paul Coleman

S1 main front earthing point

Does anybody have a picture of the main front chassis earth for an S1 please? I suspect that originally there was a bracket between the chassis and the earths coming off the loom. However, that was then and this is now! I have no idea what this bracket should look like as mine didn't have one so a picture would be good.

Thanks, Paul.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Paul - no bracket on mine. Just an M6 bolt retaining the front ground wires (three or four ring terminals I recall) through the left hand upright on the front of the chassis frame that holds the fans. 

post-3309-0-68223800-1420669089.jpg

Thanks for the photo Jon. My chassis does have a hole there (probably M6 by the looks of it) but the earth wires from the loom weren't long enough to reach there I don't think? I'm sure there was a bracket there originally but over the years it disintegrated?

Cheers, Paul.

Nice spot... away from the elements I can see. :no

Are we talking about the ground bolt under the master brake cylinder?

I'm not aware of one in that position. The picture was of the front chassis frame that holds the cooling fans - left hand side on a right hand drive car. 

There I was thinking my car was like the others, I've got a large collection of ground wires that connect from the main wire loom to just in front of the master brake cylinder. Now that I think about it the loom looked like it had been "adjusted" by a PO. I suspect that they were having ground issues are decided to ground everything to that bolt.

Ok I knew I'd seen this grounding point in photos of other cars. This image is from an S2 listed on ebay. 

image.jpg

If you look carefully under the brake servo there is a collection of wires that exit the loom and collect there. I was wondering if this was the inside placement of the ground point you guys were discussing.

Brian

I wonder if RHD and LHD cars are different or it's just something which got altered during the production run?

This is from an early S1 (RHD, centre ashtray car)

S1FrontEarth_zps588cf046.jpg

Yep - thats the same as mine, early RHD but no centre ashtray. Looking at the position, its probably possible to pull the ground wires up from their chassis mounting point, through the floor, onto the master cylinder bolt on a LHD car. RHD car wouldn't be possible.

On early cars is the whole front harness under the shell or do just the ground wires go through the shell and connect on that bolt?

On my car 250H the same bolt under the brake cylinder is present on both sides, the brake servo isn't actually fixed to it. I would think it wouldn't be too difficult, if the wires pass through the shell from the inside, to pull the wires back up and attach them to that point instead of on the underside where they are exposed to the elements. 

Edited by marcbria