free hit
counters
Help identifying 2.2 Turbo motor. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Cushing

Help identifying 2.2 Turbo motor.

I need some help identifying a motor. I got it from a mate who knows nothing of it’s history, and to make things difficult the engine number has been removed (dodgy). It has a hydraulic tensioner and I noticed the intake section from the turbo to the plenum is different (see picture). It is a 2.2 HC looking at the pistons, and the cam sprockets are all square toothed and green dot type.  What is this motor ?

post-17533-0-19703100-1420709474.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There are two plentum intakes there. The top one is the one for the turbo cars from 1980 to 1987. The bottom one is the HC 1987 onwards.

The spring tensioner is the standard one.

You can look at the numbers on the head and the shape of the water pump to know if its a HC engine.

Buddsy

Are the liners aluminium then? If so it probably is a HC. If it is a HC it could be quite a late engine at least after 1987.

Is it just the engine or gearbox as well?

Buddsy

Yep, liners are alu, I.ve only the motor minus turbo. I had planned to rebuild it just in case somthing happends to mine, I have a 88MY turbo (early with Renault gearbox). Thanks for your input.

Steve

That tensioner would date it pre Stevens so I would imagine its from an S3