free hit
counters
buying - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
DMCL

buying

hi,

sorry if it had been covered before but im going to look at an Esprit S4 1988 to buy.

What would you guys look out for when taking the plunge?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Can you check the year, the S4 didn't come out until 1994.

1988 was the year of the first Stevens Turbo I think...... someone will be along shortly to correct me I'm sure.

That's a common mistake. Many people assume the s4 was the car after the s3!

The one after the S3 is the X180 Stevens design commonly called the carb turbo and it is most likely this car. I think you can see a few dated from late 1987 but 1988 is the main year of production.

A lot of people state car history and maintenance bills as the thing to look for but frankly most garages are crap so I would prefer to see an enthusiast maintained car. Ask when cambelt was last changed, has engine been overhauled etc. What you can expect of course depends on what price seller is looking for. If its cheap then you should plan for some expenditure.

I would have some doubts straight away if car is being sold as an S4

I know it's highly debateable but a 1988 year car rather falls between the desirable G cars and the very quick SE cars which tends to mean that they are often the cheapest way into Esprit ownership

Thats an interesting view Barrie, hadnt thought of that before. However as a 1988 carb turbo owner myself I also believe that a lot of classic car owners dont think a car is a classic without carbs. And it is worth remembering that Lotus sold carb turbo Stevens cars even though they overlapped the SE due to enthusiasts not wanting/trusting fuel injection.

Times change of course and we dont know how is being asked for the car in question.

It sold around a year ago from a garage (Slades?) in bucks for around £9k, and then had the interior patched back together (just looked a bit garish).

I believe the owner didn't get on with it and when the clutch went it was the last straw.